Thanksgiving driving

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
We may have to (God Forbid) drive (shudder) from Florida to the Atlanta area rather than flying the Bo. If we drive, we will be leaving tomorrow AM (Friday after Thanksgiving) and returning either Sunday AM or Monday AM. I suspect traffic will be horrendous either day, but does anyone have any better knowledge of traffic patterns during those times in Georgia/Florida ( I 75 - I 10 - I 95 )?

No knowledge but I have a suggestion. Come down with the "flu". I don't think you could pay me to make that drive. Really any drive at any time on I-95. This was the best thing about flying GA. Watching those cars on I-95 below and laughing at them. Of course we were over the northern parts back in the day. Maybe I-75 isn't as bad...

I have done that run several times,good luck,basically..all the north south roads are crowded.

I'm feeling a warm glow knowing that I only have to drive 15 minutes of rural Oregon to be with family and friends this Thanksgiving holiday. No more SoCal 5 or 91 freeways to traverse to get to where I need to go. Warm and fuzzy, you know?

Living in Georgia with most of my family in the CT/MA area, I’ve made that drive at least once a year for the last 23 years. BY FAR, the worst time ever was a Sunday after Thanksgiving. Between traffic and weather, it took 22 1/2 hours. I vowed never to drive on that day ever again.

Living in Georgia with most of my family in the CT/MA area, I’ve made that drive at least once a year for the last 23 years. BY FAR, the worst time ever was a Sunday after Thanksgiving. Between traffic and weather, it took 22 1/2 hours. I vowed never to drive on that day ever again.

Yikes. Yeah, Thanksgiving can be horrendous. I remember one trip to Pennsylvania to see my grandmother where the trip around Chicago took 8 hours from the Wisconsin line (94) to the Indiana line, which is only about 80 miles. 8 straight hours of averaging 10 mph SUCKS! Never again. Either I'm taking the plane, or I'm staying home.

When I do make long car drives, my usual strategy is to wake at 4am and be on the road no later than 4:30am. Then you pretty much have 4-5hours of hassle free motoring before the roads become clogged with idiots.

You can always pull up a Google map and turn traffic on. I do that a lot for planning.

My 35-mile drive home from North Sparrow Fart to Sparrow Fart was pretty uneventful except for the heavy traffic. There must have been at least six other cars on the road. Maybe even seven. It was terrible, I tell ya.

Rich

The weather cleared up enough that we were able to fly IFR. No traffic hassles at all and a strong tail wind had us seeing 190kts most of the way. >400 miles in less than 2 hours.

We are heading home tomorrow and may actually have a slight tail wind home too.

This is what I love about flying.

I'm feeling a warm glow knowing that I only have to drive 15 minutes of rural Oregon to be with family and friends this Thanksgiving holiday. No more SoCal 5 or 91 freeways to traverse to get to where I need to go. Warm and fuzzy, you know?

I went up the 5 from South OC to Huntington Beach for Thanksgiving, 30 minutes tops and no sweat at all. But I wouldn't want to be going out of town on I-15 or I-10. :eek:

Back