kimberlyanne546

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Kimberly
Troy,

Thank you for being brave and hopping in my rented 172 last night:

w0kN6.jpg

There was NO WAY I wanted you to miss this rare opportunity for a clear coast line. Sun setting over the Pacific (Point Reyes):

NpALs.jpg

Sometimes these "improv" flights, especially on a work night, are the best.

Technically, we landed about 9 minutes before FAA's definition of "night" so no night landings logged. Oh well. It was really dark though.

Afterwards, I was asked for a "I flew with Kimberly and survived" shirt however. Not sure if that is good or bad?

You didn't pick up some of those Tomales Bay oysters while you were over there?

You didn't pick up some of those Tomales Bay oysters while you were over there?

Dude that place closes between 4-6 pm daily. We didn't even get into the plane until after 6:30pm.

I just had some of those oysters a few weeks ago, yum.

Looks like fun times. I am guessing the coastline always has a fog/cloud cover?

Looks like you had a great flight! :D Today is our last day of great weather in the Bay. Back to normal tomorrow. :(

Yes. We had a strange "heat wave" for 3 days and the high pressure meant coastal flight was possible for a scenic tour!

On those "rare" days I often fly the coast. Yes, it costs more in Hobbs but man it sure is prettier.

When I first started reading the Original Post I thought I was going to be mad. It first appeared that Kim had come to the DFW area without my knowing about it. Apparantly Troy is in the Bay area.

Kim, let this be a warning. If you ever come to Texas without letting us know so that we can try to put together a crowd for you, we will be upset.:D

Glad you folks had a fun flight, and have a safe trip home Troy! You are coming back to Texas aren't you?:confused:

Don't worry, Troy will probably have the shirt made soon!:rolleyes:

That aerial shot is perfect. A second earlier, the sun would be too bright- a second later and half the color would be gone.
Makes me wistful for ol' Cali... beautiful flying country.

That aerial shot is perfect. A second earlier, the sun would be too bright- a second later and half the color would be gone.
Makes me wistful for ol' Cali... beautiful flying country.

Both images are from Troy's iPhone / FaceBook (I was too busy flying).

The after flight margarita made the day even more perfect. Oh, and the moon was so crazy I had to use my left blinker on my car and wave my hand out the window to get him to look (I was in my car and he was following me in a rental car). One of those huge, full, orange moons - just rising up - and covered with rows of PURPLE clouds. Hours later the moon was higher and white and boring. Just a perfect day / night / flight.

When I first started reading the Original Post I thought I was going to be mad. It first appeared that Kim had come to the DFW area without my knowing about it. Apparantly Troy is in the Bay area.

Kim, let this be a warning. If you ever come to Texas without letting us know so that we can try to put together a crowd for you, we will be upset.:D

Glad you folks had a fun flight, and have a safe trip home Troy! You are coming back to Texas aren't you?:confused:

Don't worry, Troy will probably have the shirt made soon!:rolleyes:

Doc, the only time I was in Texas was during a short layover where I had to run from one plane to the other in the huge terminals at DFW. That was on my flight back home from Michigan, the POA annual flyin / camp out 6Y9 in 2011. Bob Albertson (POA) had the day off flying, otherwise he would have perhaps been at the airport.

I am not sure if / when I'll be in Texas but I will contact you for sure.

The Coast Guard told me if I make it through the next few years of training etc I may end up in Florida (naval flight training) but not Texas. Bummer.

I was thinking the same (she had sneaked into 52F and didn't tell anyone).

I also echo Doc's sentiments that we'll make you very welcome.

Can any of you Texans tell me what Troy could not last night?

Instead of this one Cantina we ended up at a chain (it was late, the flight was a surprise).

The chain is called "Chevys" because I asked Troy what his favorite food was (Mexican) so I could pick a place.

It is called "Fresh Mex" and I know there is "Tex Mex". So what is the difference between California style Mexican food and Texas style Mexican food?

I am still having the left over shrimp / steak / carnitas fajitas today.

Kimberly

Looks like you had a great flight! :D Today is our last day of great weather in the Bay. Back to normal tomorrow. :(

We shall see. I've had a lot of great flights lately, with the only complaint being haze / viz.

Can any of you Texans tell me what Troy could not last night?

Instead of this one Cantina we ended up at a chain (it was late, the flight was a surprise).

The chain is called "Chevys" because I asked Troy what his favorite food was (Mexican) so I could pick a place.

It is called "Fresh Mex" and I know there is "Tex Mex". So what is the difference between California style Mexican food and Texas style Mexican food?

I am still having the left over shrimp / steak / carnitas fajitas today.

Kimberly

Texans claim Fresh Mex is California and laced with foo-foo. Californians claim Tex Mex is a bastardized ripoff of Fresh Mex.

I was thinking the same (she had sneaked into 52F and didn't tell anyone).

I also echo Doc's sentiments that we'll make you very welcome.

It would be very strange for me to end up on the other side of the USA and not tell anyone! I will let you know, though Texas is HUGE and I don't know who is where etc. I even have an old Student Pilot (I posted on Studentpilot.com long before POA) friend in Texas who I would love to see, then there are the "usual suspects" here on POA in Texas, only some of whom I've met / most of whom I have not met. Just met Jay and Mary Honeck so that adds to my Texas count.

The flight was amazing! Thanks Kimberly! And I'll post video of the experience later... Just boarded my flight back to DFW. I may be back in town on 10/17... Busy time of year!

P.S., Kimberly has the perfect pink hat for female aviators. It even has a feature that filters out male macho "I'm a pilot" B.S.ers who aren't really pilots, but who just say they are to impress the ladies.

The flight was amazing! Thanks Kimberly! And I'll post video of the experience later... Just boarded my flight back to DFW. I may be back in town on 10/17... Busy time of year!

P.S., Kimberly has the perfect pink hat for female aviators. It even has a feature that filters out male macho "I'm a pilot" B.S.ers who aren't really pilots, but who just say they are to impress the ladies.

It has a pink stearman too. The back (don't have a photo) says - in PINK - CAUTION: Female PIC.

The front looks like this (thanks to the customizers, they are pilots too, at the Reno Air Races for helping me design):

udtxw.jpg

Note: Stearmans don't have a canopy but the people who design embroidered stuff for GA aren't always pilots. So the plane is a cross between a Stearman and something else. It is also missing the tail wheel. I just thought it was cute (and no, the one on display in the shop was not pink).

BTW I may have told the story wrong. He never said he was a pilot. He was standing there, in uniform, inside the C130 and asked about the hat. He said "how do girls fly different than boys?" That made me take off the hat, flip it around, and when he said "What is a PIC (picture)?" I replied "Oh - you are not a pilot - are you?" Then he said "No we are ground crew."

The reason I wrote "PIC" on the back of that hat, in pink letters, is because EVERYONE knows what the word "pilot" means. Not everyone knows what PIC means.

That's Point Reyes (or was it Bodega Head?). The foggest point on the West Coast. There is a reason why it has a 100+ year old lighthouse and a really old Coast Guard lifeboat station (back from when those poor guys had to row their lifeboats) on it.

And it's thoroughly stunning on the rare clear day.

Didja see any whales? Seems like you might have been a bit high for that.

Last edited:
So what is the difference between California style Mexican food and Texas style Mexican food?

There are two distinct styles of Texan Mexican food. Tex Mex = flood it all with chili. I don't care for this. Then, there is the real Mexican. English speakers as a rule don't set foot in there. THIS stuff isn't that different from the authentic (non-chain) Mexican you might find in the Bay Area. It's really different from Chevy's.

I found the most authentic Mexican restaurant I've seen anywhere in downtown Waco, TX, just across the interstate from Baylor. While waiting for my burrito (which was amazing), I got solicited to buy a fake Rolex.

As a rule, don't go to Texas for the Mexican. It isn't very good (New Mexico, on the other hand, is much, much better). You go for the barbecue. Just don't expect it to be what Californians think Texas barbecue is like (e.g. Armadillo Willy's). It's quite different.

Last edited:
Tex Mex often has more of a red sauce.

Cal-Mex Ariz-Mex and ABQ-Mex has more of a green chile sauce.

Real Mex has neither and is waaaaay better than the over sauced and over cheesed stuff the chain restaurants are known to serve.

I found the most authentic Mexican restaurant I've seen anywhere in downtown Waco, TX, just across the interstate from Baylor. While waiting for my burrito (which was amazing), I got solicited to buy a fake Rolex.

Having been to a few marketplaces in Mexico, you can't get much more authentic than that!

as someone raised in mexico I can say that tex-mex is a cuisine in itself and it can be pretty good. you can not compare authentic mexican to tex/fresh-mex. totally different animala and both are great.

The Coast Guard told me if I make it through the next few years of training etc I may end up in Florida (naval flight training) but not Texas. Bummer.

Huh?? You joined the Coast Guard?? Really? Awesome...how did I miss that thread? :confused:

Huh?? You joined the Coast Guard?? Really? Awesome...how did I miss that thread? :confused:

No. I'm too old. I'm going to join the civilian Coast Guard. The Coast Guard Auxiliary. This one I'm interested in is mostly aviation oriented. The training is for non-pilots, to get in a GA plane with a pilot / owner, and be a trained "observer" on flights such as patrols, search and rescue, wildlife and maritime nav aid related flights, etc.

I've been looking into this for months now.

That's Point Reyes (or was it Bodega Head?). The foggest point on the West Coast. There is a reason why it has a 100+ year old lighthouse and a really old Coast Guard lifeboat station (back from when those poor guys had to row their lifeboats) on it.

And it's thoroughly stunning on the rare clear day.

Didja see any whales? Seems like you might have been a bit high for that.

No whales, but I wasn't looking for them. The 99s do whale watching flights during a different part of the year, not sure if right now is the correct time.

Kimberly

Here's what a San Francisco Bay Tour with Kimberly looks like! Note, it was filmed in HD, so crank it up as high as your computer and bandwidth will allow for the best viewing experience.

P.S.--Note how she moves the trim through its entire range of motion during preflight checks to verify no binding and free range of motion... I liked that! She had some good instruction.

Thanks again, Kim, it was great!!

Thanks for the video! Very well done, and what an incredible sunset and view of SF. Thanks also for answering a question I had in another thread for ideas for sightseeing trips there. So what frequency were you monitoring over SF and the Golden Gate bridge?

Thanks for the video! Very well done, and what an incredible sunset and view of SF. Thanks also for answering a question I had in another thread for ideas for sightseeing trips there. So what frequency were you monitoring over SF and the Golden Gate bridge?

I'll let Kim answer that one... I was busy filming, looking for traffic, and holding the iPad with Foreflight running!

Over the Golden Gate Bridge, it's still NorCal, same frequency as at KSFO (see the blue boxes on the sectional). Not far to the north, it's Oakland Center. See the A/FD for KDVO (Novato/Gnoss), as it's the closest public use airport.

Awesome video! Love the views of downtown SF and the waterfront! And not a whisp of fog in sight...

For flight following I use a sectional (aka Foreflight) to determine which of the many NorCal frequencies to contact. Depends on where I am when I start the Bay Tour. I usually call NorCal up at San Quentin so I don't have to talk to Oakland Center.

Back