Thanks to the patient controllers at KVNY

U

Unregistered

Decided to fly into KVNY and try to land on 16R today. Checked it off the personal bucket list, and saw a BUNCH of cool airplanes (including the B-29 FIFI). Here's my takeaway; I was blown away by the patience of the controllers at the field.

They were extremely busy and we came into the airspace VFR, pretty fast, picking our way around a scattered layer, unfamiliar with the field layout and FBO structure. My preparation for the flight was embarrassingly lacking, which I began to realize as we called tower. Once I realized how busy the field was, I expected the controllers to be understandably upset with us.

Instead I experienced nothing but the most kind, patient, courteous treatment from the gentlemen at VNY tower. They were true, professional gentlemen, and their help and patience drove home the point more than any reprimands could have.

I'll definitely be back to VNY, and I promise this time I'll be better prepared.

Glad you had a good day flying. What you found from ATC today I have found as the normal standard of service from ATC. I have always received great and personable service, it's one of the great things about GA in the US.

Last edited:
What Henning said. A well-trained and highly professional corps of Controllers is a real benefit.

Don't worry, they were using every curse word they could think of off the radio.

:D

A well-trained and highly professional corps of Controllers is a real benefit.

that is especially true when one has an inflight emergency, such as a complete engine failure, and looks down to see nothing but pine trees for as far as the eye can see in all directions.

Not that that's ever happened to me, mind you! ;)

that is especially true when one has an inflight emergency, such as a complete engine failure, and looks down to see nothing but pine trees for as far as the eye can see in all directions.

Not that that's ever happened to me, mind you! ;)

I listened to an emergency unfold on the frequency about a week ago. The controller was transmitting on two frequencies so I only heard he would say. Professionalism is the only way I can describe the event.

No idea on the outcome of the pilot, plane, or flight, though.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back