Thanks Nick

Michael

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
CapeCodMichael
Nick flew down to havasu today, and I got to ride in his sweet cherokee. What a nice plane it is. Found out we have almost identical GPS, and he showed me the moving map which i never knew i had :) We flew out to Eagle airfield, A09 i believe, then did a touch n go at Needles. Nick is getting pretty darn good at his cherokee. He flys it effortlessly, and precisly. Great Job Nick.
I had to return the favor and took nick for a quickie around town in the mooney. He took some video, and i warned him before hand that I would make a greaser landing..I think it was pretty smooth. we will have to see what the video looks like :)

Thanks again Nick for sharing your sweet ride with me. (notice we forgot all about your windshield?)

Glad you guys had a good visit! It's always fun to hear about board people meeting each other. :)

terry

hey Nick what are you doing wasting time in Az, don't you have 54 more NM airports to hit yet?!

:D

Let'sgoflying! said:
hey Nick what are you doing wasting time in Az, don't you have 54 more NM airports to hit yet?!

LOL Wasting time Dave?
I suddenly feel as if I am worthless....

Michael said:
LOL Wasting time Dave?
I suddenly feel as if I am worthless....

Thats me, foot in mouth - sorry Michael!
But Nick has us all concerned about completing his project and all!

Well I for one think he might need another ride with the DE or something, maybe even a 709 ride. His navigation skills are sorely lacking, he was supposed to be going to Conchas Lake, NM today, ended up in Arizona, hmm Can you say wrong way Nick!!:goofy:
Glad you guys had a good time
Don

wow - what a day!!! Thanks back to you Michael!

I wound up logging 10.2 today, of which 2 were night. I'm in the process of downloading the video of Michael's greaser now, I'll post it when I get a chance.

For those concerned about the New Mexico goal - I got one done today anyways, stopped for fuel and a flashlight in KGUP - Gallup, New Mexico. I'll have the write up done.

For those wondering, Lake Havasu is a gorgeous city! Absolutely gorgeous! And at around 700ft elevation, even my little Cherokee seemed to leap off the group (at about 1000ft/min if I'm not mistaken).

A final LOL to Don. I scrapped Conchas for the chance to land in both Arizona and California.

I'm beat.

Sounds good, Nick.
You can skip Santa Fe; I am going to do it for you tomorrow.
:)

Now that I think about it I do not remember either of Michael's landings. They must have been good to be so forgettable (uneventful).:yes:

Dave Krall CFII said:
Nice landing.
Did a crosswind blow you off centerline or was it the aircraft's left turning tendencies ?

my guess is that the centerline moved.

Or it wasn't painted down the center. Yeah, thats it.

SkyHog said:

When I did one off centerline for no good reason at BFI, on my FAA CFI check ride, the examiner asked me,
" Why didn't you land on the centerline ?"

and I said,
"The runway is wide."

Then he says,
"Teach me how to land on the centerline."

SkyHog said:

Note the landing was off center just the right amount to be lined up with the lead off line to the taxiway. No wasted motion.

Bill Jennings said:
Note the landing was off center just the right amount to be lined up with the lead off line to the taxiway. No wasted motion.

Yea, what Bill said..Thanks Bill :)
I can do nice landings or I can land on centerline. Cant do both. :rofl:

Dave Krall CFII said:
When I did one off centerline for no good reason at BFI, on my FAA CFI check ride, the examiner asked me,
" Why didn't you land on the centerline ?"

and I said,
"The runway is wide."

Then he says,
"Teach me how to land on the centerline."

The flight where I was going to solo, I pretty much had landings nailed but kept landing left of centerline. My CFI said he wanted to see three landings right on the centerline and then he'd sign me off.

Unfortunately, on the first T&G on centerline, I felt a new shimmy and some drag to the right. "Tower, 21Echo aborting the go.<click>Uh Mike, can you check the tire on that side for me?" It had gone completely flat in a matter of a couple of seconds. (Shop later found a defect in the inner tube.)

After closing the largest (9000x150) runway and spending the better part of an hour helping the line guys drag the poor bird off onto a little-used taxiway, we were getting ready to hop into the ops van for a ride back to the FBO when I just had to turn to my CFI and say:

"I told you that centerline was dangerous." :rofl:

Thanks for the video. I'll be there in a couple of weeks myself. Can't wait.

Don Jones said:
Well I for one think he might need another ride with the DE or something, maybe even a 709 ride. His navigation skills are sorely lacking, he was supposed to be going to Conchas Lake, NM today, ended up in Arizona, hmm Can you say wrong way Nick!!:goofy:
Glad you guys had a good time
Don

Darn TO/FROM indicators always screwed me up... :)

I kept landing left of centerline until I started paying more attention to the rudder pedals. I think one foot is just heavier than the other. :)

Looks good though Michael... You've got a tough crowd here!

Last edited:
HPNFlyGirl said:
Yeah I also land left of the centerline. Do people actually land right of centerline?
You could alternate landings to the right so when another pilot asks you if you land on the CL your answer would be, on average.

The dreaded left of centerline.

I have a tendenacy to do the same thing. I'm not sure why.

Go find yourself the smallest runway you can. I bet you'll be right on :)

A CFI that was "teaching" me in a tailwheel had some major issues with landing on the centerline. I don't know what his deal was but I just kept my mouth shut, played his game, and was done with him.

He'd demonstrate landings for me on a 150 foot wide grass strip. He was *all* over the place. To the left.. to the right.. each landing he was WAY off of center. It was interesting.

jangell said:
The dreaded left of centerline.

I have a tendenacy to do the same thing. I'm not sure why.

Go find yourself the smallest runway you can. I bet you'll be right on :)

A CFI that was "teaching" me in a tailwheel had some major issues with landing on the centerline. I don't know what his deal was but I just kept my mouth shut, played his game, and was done with him.

He'd demonstrate landings for me on a 150 foot wide grass strip. He was *all* over the place. To the left.. to the right.. each landing he was WAY off of center. It was interesting.

funny thing is too - I land left of centerline on almost every landing, regardless of how hard I try to hit centerline. But on a narrow strip (30ft wide), I land dead center, no drift. It must be a subconcious thing or something.

SkyHog said:
funny thing is too - I land left of centerline on almost every landing, regardless of how hard I try to hit centerline. But on a narrow strip (30ft wide), I land dead center, no drift. It must be a subconcious thing or something.

Well, Nick, i guess you can add me to the club then. I have been working very hard on eliminating the left drift, and sometimes it seems that there is a velvet wall along the extended centerline, nudging me ever leftward. But I think I have it pretty much hammered out now.

Except for every now and again... y'know?

Back