Thanks Diana and everyone

Bill

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
This page intentionally left blank
For a great wekend, pics and thoughts to follow...

Ken Ibold said:
Bill, glad you made it back. You had a pile of crap to fly through this afternoon!

It was very VERY ugly, I almost put down twice. I called flight watch and flight service more times today than I have in the rest of my flying combined. Good folks, and very good helpful controllers (flight following).

Ugh.

Glad you're home, Bill. Isn't it nice when those briefers and controllers are looking out for you?

Whatever happened to the rest of the moonpies? Are Carol T. and Steve See eating them?

Whatever happened to the rest of the moonpies? Are Carol T. and Steve See eating them?[/QUOTE]

I know this morning after sitting in the sun they weren't very good but If they like them that much let indulge:)

And thanks everyone for the nice weekend it seemed way to short (but it always does)
Brian & Tony:lightning:

Bill,

Glad you made it back. I was watching some of that ugly stuff on Nexrad. At least you had alternatives.

bill

Thank you EVERYONE. I had a great time. We ended up leaving the mooney in Missery, due to bad weather along our intended route, and flew commercial home. Looks like maybe next weekend I will be back ot there to try and bring her home.

Looking forward to the pictures..

Michael

Michael,

I got your takeoff on vedio, and it looked strange to see you disappear in that fog or mist patch. I was a bit worried about you guys. Glad to hear that you got home allright.

Toby said:
Glad you're home, Bill. Isn't it nice when those briefers and controllers are looking out for you?

Whatever happened to the rest of the moonpies? Are Carol T. and Steve See eating them?

Many (most?) of the Moon Pies are now in Mississippi.

Steve and his family stayed another day because the girls were having so much fun fishing. They invited me to stay too and, because it was late and I was tired, I agreed. We had a quiet evening and launched at o dark thirty this morning. They are in Mississippi. I am in Jonesboro, Arkansas using the high speed internet access at the hotel.

I took off planning to (and receiving a clearance to) fly direct home. Take off was good. Easy connection to Mem Ctr for the clearance. Ride at 7,000 was smooth but I just didn't like it. I really didn't feel like what I was headed into was something I would be happy with. So I located a field and landed. Easy as that. This hotel is quite comfy and I am in no rush. There is rain at my home field with scattered TSRA. Maybe tomorrow or the next day I will deal with it.

It was great to see my old friends again and to put faces to the names of some people I have "known" a long time but have never met.

Diana and Tom did a wonderful job of organization and of hosting "party central."

I just wish the wx hadn't been quite so hot.

Bob Bement said:
Michael,

I got your takeoff on vedio, and it looked strange to see you disappear in that fog or mist patch. I was a bit worried about you guys. Glad to hear that you got home allright.

Yeah, how was that takeoff Michael? It didn't look like more than 1 mile vis when I looked outside for the first time a little while after I heard you depart. That sounds scary given the terrain unless the layer was really thin.

lancefisher said:
Yeah, how was that takeoff Michael? It didn't look like more than 1 mile vis when I looked outside for the first time a little while after I heard you depart. That sounds scary given the terrain unless the layer was really thin.

Lance, there was at least 5 miles vis acording to Baxter Co. ASOS....and very thin. that wasnt what scared me...Bob, Id like to see that video and just how close I came to them trees on the left side of the runway, they filled my windshield pretty quickly. The wet grass, along with the shortfield technique i used alowed the plane to slide to the left a little too much. good news is..I learned something :) They say when you do something stupid and walk away, you are lucky to have the experiance to learn.

Michael said:
Lance, there was at least 5 miles vis acording to Baxter Co. ASOS....and very thin. that wasnt what scared me...Bob, Id like to see that video and just how close I came to them trees on the left side of the runway, they filled my windshield pretty quickly. The wet grass, along with the shortfield technique i used alowed the plane to slide to the left a little too much. good news is..I learned something :) They say when you do something stupid and walk away, you are lucky to have the experiance to learn.

It WAS "interesting" to watch.

gibbons said:
Greg,
Are you suggesting you'd like to share your "Best Save" award?

LOL!!!

I remember watching that fondly. Was just about to say "You can tell that he does this for a living." Held my tongue right quick :)

Carol said:
Many (most?) of the Moon Pies are now in Mississippi.

Moon Pies in Mississippi. I like the sound of that.

You made the right decision, Carol. Relax and enjoy your stay at the hotel (you don't need me to tell you that).

I just got home to Long Island after a full day of traveling. Poor Diana had to drive me to the airport at 5 a.m. because the weather was IFR down at NW Arkansas. You know these commercial flights -- be at the airport an hour early, fly for an hour and a half, have a layover at Cincinnati for more than 4 hours, fly again and set your clocks ahead. Voila! It's the end of the day.

The ceiling was 400 ft. at ISP. Very strange to be landing in that. Beneath it, the visibility is good. It's a blessed 75 degrees here.....ahhhhhhhhh.

Bill Jennings said:
For a great weekend..
You're welcome Bill, and all y'all who have expressed thanks. I didn't do much but shout, "Let's have a party!”

Chip did a lot of work with his web site and spreadsheets and contacting people and such. Steve See did a glorious job with the judges scoring paddles and judging pavilion, and was a stunning and illustrious ground ops Grand Poobah. As a member of the prizes and awards committee he likewise excelled. Carol and Toby also did an excellent job with the prizes and awards.

Gaston’s was VERY accommodating, especially with the restaurant reservations. They gave us two of their vans to use, and provided endless free ice and large coolers and extra chairs. Not to mention the rides back and forth to BPK.

I’d like to thank all those who took me flying, too. What a privilege to be able to ride with Ron Levy and actually get to fly his Grumman and learn about formation flying. Interesting discussion about the heat as we buckled in. ;)

Greg Bockelman was very generous to give me a ride in his 195 and let me fly it as well. I got to observe first hand how cool and calm he could be as an instructor. As I took the controls after leaving the ground and played with trim, I heard in a very calm and pleasant and smiling voice “you might want to avoid hitting these trees right here.” :)

You learn a lot about people in the cockpit of an airplane. It was such a treat for me to be able to fly with some of you, and to take you flying as well. Bruce’s wife Susan was a delight to fly with. I only wish we all could have done more flying with each other. I was hoping to give a few acro rides; hopefully next year.

I don’t think I have ever laughed as hard as I did these past several days. You guys are fun! :yes:

Diana said:
Greg Bockelman was very generous to give me a ride in his 195 and let me fly it as well. I got to observe first hand how cool and calm he could be as an instructor. As I took the controls after leaving the ground and played with trim, I heard in a very calm and pleasant and smiling voice “you might want to avoid hitting these trees right here.” :)
:rofl: :rofl:
All in a days work, Diana. :yes:

Back