Thanks all! And a couple Commercial checkride thoughts...

CerroTorre

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
CerroTorre
So I passed my Commercial checkride a couple weeks ago. Thanks for helping with my multiple, slightly pedantic questions over the lead up. It was helpful. Turned out to be a smooth checkride that I was over-prepared for even though I had a DPE that was known to be a tough cookie. That was gratifying and again I give credit to all the folks who helped me really get into the nitty-gritty details regarding the regs and aircraft systems stuff I was curious about.

I went in to the checkride with my own binder full of all the aircraft maintenance documentation, detailed old-school weight and balance, an actual penciled in old-school flight plan (!), and my usual expanded performance charts in an excel spreadsheet, all backed up with the usual foreflight calcs - all of which he seemed very happy to see. I was proficient talking about advanced aircraft systems, high altitude stuff, and ready to do a deep dive into Part 119/121/135. All of which he seemed very pleased to see. My takeaway was that a little front end over-preparation (yes, I'm particular and maybe even overly so) that showed that I knew what I was talking about went a long way toward smoothing things out as we discussed things. Oral probably lasted 2 hours but felt mostly casual.

For me it was totally worth paying for ground time to sit down and what-if my way through regulatory questions with a couple sharp CFI's prior to the exam. Literally just turning a CFI session into an extended discussion about odd-ball regulatory scenarios. Ad -nauseum. In depth discussion is key to my retention and understanding. I basically stopped worrying about $ and just hired a good study partner - I'd highly recommend it.

So, I now have about 450 hours which puts me at the VERY minimum to expect to get any potential job prospects. I don't plan to go the CFI route. Am extremely mobile (would even consider international) and am also very open to seasonal flying gigs since I am still holding on to my other career for now. Also I don't care what it pays (again ... for now). Literally any gig flying would be great. I don't have my multi yet ... but expect to do so in the not too distant future. Pipeline patrol and sky-dive are my most obvious initial ideas. Any one else out there have ideas (or even leads) for how to get in somewhere (zero intention of heading to the airlines - I like to fly airplanes that still have personality - i.e. old and beat up =). One day dreams of Alaska flying - I have a weak spot for frigid temps, terrible work hours, and lifting heavy things (like being my own ground crew).

Anyway - lots of talking for not much useful contribution. Just thanks for all the help and keeping the stoke for aviation alive. The flying community is pretty great. Happy holidays.

So I passed my Commercial checkride a couple weeks ago. Thanks for helping with my multiple, slightly pedantic questions over the lead up. It was helpful. Turned out to be a smooth checkride that I was over-prepared for even though I had a DPE that was known to be a tough cookie. That was gratifying and again I give credit to all the folks who helped me really get into the nitty-gritty details regarding the regs and aircraft systems stuff I was curious about.

I went in to the checkride with my own binder full of all the aircraft maintenance documentation, detailed old-school weight and balance, an actual penciled in old-school flight plan (!), and my usual expanded performance charts in an excel spreadsheet, all backed up with the usual foreflight calcs - all of which he seemed very happy to see. I was proficient talking about advanced aircraft systems, high altitude stuff, and ready to do a deep dive into Part 119/121/135. All of which he seemed very pleased to see. My takeaway was that a little front end over-preparation (yes, I'm particular and maybe even overly so) that showed that I knew what I was talking about went a long way toward smoothing things out as we discussed things. Oral probably lasted 2 hours but felt mostly casual.

For me it was totally worth paying for ground time to sit down and what-if my way through regulatory questions with a couple sharp CFI's prior to the exam. Literally just turning a CFI session into an extended discussion about odd-ball regulatory scenarios. Ad -nauseum. In depth discussion is key to my retention and understanding. I basically stopped worrying about $ and just hired a good study partner - I'd highly recommend it.

So, I now have about 450 hours which puts me at the VERY minimum to expect to get any potential job prospects. I don't plan to go the CFI route. Am extremely mobile (would even consider international) and am also very open to seasonal flying gigs since I am still holding on to my other career for now. Also I don't care what it pays (again ... for now). Literally any gig flying would be great. I don't have my multi yet ... but expect to do so in the not too distant future. Pipeline patrol and sky-dive are my most obvious initial ideas. Any one else out there have ideas (or even leads) for how to get in somewhere (zero intention of heading to the airlines - I like to fly airplanes that still have personality - i.e. old and beat up =). One day dreams of Alaska flying - I have a weak spot for frigid temps, terrible work hours, and lifting heavy things (like being my own ground crew).

Anyway - lots of talking for not much useful contribution. Just thanks for all the help and keeping the stoke for aviation alive. The flying community is pretty great. Happy holidays.

Congrats on passing your commercial ride!

For me, that one was the most fun once I finally relaxed in the air!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look up aerial banners, just hired a few low time dudes I know, they seem to be putting on a good amount of hours, just need to get your TW endorsement

Back