Thanks, Adam!

RotaryWingBob

En-Route
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHover
The Wings fly-in (or in my case, drive-in) was a great success. Thanks for all the effort you and others put into it.

And it was great to see old friends again, and to meet some new ones :yes:

Cathy, Sean, and I want to second (or second, third, and fourth) that!!!! We had a great time, and enjoyed chatting with everyone we got a chance to. Kudos to Adam and all the others that put this together!!!!:cheers:

As for us, despite driving an hour to fly 10 minutes from Philly Northeast to Wings, I still managed to log 1.8 hrs today between checking out in the Tigers again and the flight over and back. I'm kind of glad it was a short flight back because it was Sean's bumpiest to date, and he's no fan of the bumps. He told me he wasn't scared, even on final into PNE when we were flat getting the snot kicked out of us. He said he had fun anyway, and if he has to deal with bumps to go flying, that's what he'll have to do. I'm so proud :)

GOOD JOB ADAM !!! and thanks to everyone else who helped out!!

Mary and I had fun, we got to meet some new board members and saw a few others but didn't get around in time to chat. There will be a next time to add to the meet list.

CONGRATS to all contest winners! The plaques were very nicely done!

Michael and Nick commercial flight in ????? I thought for sure you gents had the top miles.

Joe, good to hear Sean handled the "bumps" he gets an atta boy!
Mary is taking a nap on the couch.....(I think the wine coolers did it) :goofy: and I am headed off to baseball. What a nice day......We can't wait until we are fling in vs driving in !!

A really great time! Thanks to Adam for putting this together, and thanks to everyone who came and made it so much fun. My wife is used to pilot get-togethers where she's one of the only females (if not the only one), and she talked on the way home about how nice it was that people brought spouses/friends/children.

Ciara (the little blonde in the pink (and eventually blue-spotted) poncho) enjoyed chasing the other children around, and she's still talking about the cake! She fell asleep on the way home and didn't wake up until we were parked at the gate (Kaye, my Trinidad lands better than your Trinidad! :D I know, you only had a 10-15 minute drive home.)

Hope to see some of you again in two weeks at the AOPA open house and fly-in at KFDK.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot Adam. That really was a blast, and going out for the Cheesesteaks and bsing afterwards was awesome as well.

You really know how to throw a FlyBQ. Some day, when I have mine, you'll have to come see it :D

Hip HIP HURRA for ADAM! What a great flybq. Going home was easier then going there because the landscape looked a lot more familure. (That is ofcouse once I got the plane started, oops). There were bumps (but not like the ones Joe had) and small patches of rain that I flew around. Till I got to IPT and there was one sitting over the feild. Wo Ho.

But all in all, well worth the trip!

Missa

That was a lot of fun, Adam. Glad I was able to make the last part of it. It was wonderful meeting you and a whole bunch of other people whose names and avatars have been on my computer for so long.

Looking forward to the next fly-in!

Matt

Well Adam...

Kudo's for another sucessful fly-in! You are getting pretty good at organizing these things. Was great to see some old friends and I'm sorry I didn't get to meet everyone, may be next time!

Hope somebody posts some pictures!

Gary

Adam, what a terrific day! Thank you so much for putting it together -- I know how much hard work and coordination it took. The plaques were great, the food was great, and it was wonderful seeing everyone again after a long winter. There is nothing like an outdoor fly-in!

My wingless model H airplane made it home in 4 hours, including "landing" at JFK to pick up my daughter. Flew at 3 AGL the whole way, and I have to say, the fuel burn on this model is great -- only 2 gallons an hour!

Here are a few pics of the day.

Attachments

• Adam_med.jpg
    Adam_med.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 41
  • flybque1_med.jpg
    flybque1_med.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 46
  • flybque2_med.jpg
    flybque2_med.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 40
  • flybque3_med.jpg
    flybque3_med.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 37
  • flybque4_med.jpg
    flybque4_med.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 46
  • flybque5_med.jpg
    flybque5_med.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 41
  • flybque6_med.jpg
    flybque6_med.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 48
Wow, looks like a ton of fun! Thanks for posting the pictures, Toby. I see a lot of familar faces. I just got back from flying around DXR for a bit and what a gorgeous night! I hope everyone got back home safe.

Sorry I couldn't make this one. ...hopefully next time!
Jason

Wow, great time! Kudos to Adam and all who helped make it possible. My little girls had a great time running around. That helped make for an early bedtime.:yes:

Hopefully we'll have blue skies (like today) and calm winds (unlike today) next year. Maybe I'll even tackle the taxi contest. Too bad I left the keys to the Sundowner at home today (DOH!)

Andrew

Hey Adam you really got your act together organizing the Fly-In B/Q.
Had a great time and talked to a lot of good people. Great Job!!!
There were a lot of people interested in what was going on and were amazed to find out it was a good bunch of aviation people having a good time. Some were interested in future B-Q's.
Jaime

Yeh Adam Thanks for ALL YOUR EFFORTS, IMHO everything went well, I Enjoyed myself ,and my nephew and great nephew said they had a great time also. THANKS AGAIN.
Dave G.

Sounds and looks like a great experience. I wish I could have been there. I was on my way there, but at the last minute, I got a chance to fly for several hours. Since I don't often get that many opportunities, I couldn't let it pass by, sorry. I hope I can make the next one.

Looks like a great time. Good job Adam!!! I can almost guarantee I'll make the next one.

Adam,

Thanks, I had a great time and like everyone above said you did a great Job.

It was great to meet everyone and to put more names to faces. I will post pictures as soon as I can DL them (left the card reader at the office).

Again Adam Thanks

Bob

Thanks for putting it all together Adam. I had a great time and enjoyed meeting everyone. And thanks to Wing's Field for their hospitality.:yes:

Great Job Adam and helpers!!! Thanks!!

90kts there and 150kts home made for a nice flight.

Well First off with all this praise I'm really ticked off that Chuck got rid of the reputation:rolleyes: . Seriously. Thank you all for comming. I really enjoy doing this kind of stuff and the greatest complement is that you all enjoyed yourselves.

Before I give my play by play I want to thank several folks First and foremost is Gary Shelby who not only was a huge help in putting this together but came up with some great ideas and kept me calm whcih was a task in and of itself. When I was worring about weather, parking where to have the event on the field, contests and how much food to buy Gary was great to be able to bounce thoughts and ideas off of.

Bob Ciotti, was an awesome help in collecting the money and keeping things financially under control and bringing that awesome cake his sister made. And for giving me updates from Flight Aware as to Ed Fred's progress on his flight to wings friday evening as I was running around Costco like a raving lunatic doing all the shopping.

Lee Kitson and Ed Fred ran here and there provided the needed man power for the contests.

Bob Bruneau, for manning the grill and feeding the hords

Jamie pujol made the awsome plaques and my friends the Singhs who bought the second course of Rice, Fritters and mac and cheese.

And a special thanks to those who traveled so far Ed Fred from MI, Michael Driggs from AZ and Nick Brennan from NM and Toby for driving RT from Long Island. Another thank you to Ed. For helping improve my computer while we waited for his and my photos to load into his slide show.

A huge thanks to MONTGOEMRY COUNTY AVIATION (MCA) The FBO at Wings for providing $100 in gift certificates, a 40 cent discount on fuel, waived overnight fees for those in for the weekend, coordinating parking and giving a free jump to a dead battery. please remember to give them a positive note on Airnav. They were a super help.

Last year at the Fly B Q we had about 20 people. This year we were expecting 100 ( due to a last minute notice from Angel flight) and we had about 60 show. Infact here are the numbers

Attendees : About 60
Aircraft: 17
bugers ate: 75
Hot Dogs ate :60
Sodas drank: 120
Chips consumed: 7 pounds
Cake eaten : Three layers
Grill Infernos : NONE
I can't even quatify the other food Rice w/ chicken, spinach fritters , mack and cheese
Fun Had by all: Imeasurable

Contest Winners of a plaque and $25 gift certificate to the pilot shop at Wings ( only 7 of 17 planes participated , come on folks it was a blast. a special salute to Missa and Kaye for being such good sports)

Precision Taxi: Bob McMath from the Red Board

Spot Parking: Joe Williams

Furthest Traveled in a GA plane: Ed Fred

Furthest Traveled over all: Michael Driggs

Newest Private Pilot to Attend: Andrew Morrison ( FlyersFan) got his ticket on 12/28/05

I guess the Fly B Q has officially become an event and it made me feel great that I heard folks saying things like " At next years Fly B Q". To those that helped you are drafted for next year:hairraise: .

The reason I started the Fly B Q was that this group is such a GREAT community and I wanted to provide an opportunity that we could meet face to face. I was very lucky to get to spend two days with Ed and Bob Ciotti and shared sometime with Michael and Nick as well after the Fly BQ.

After things calmed down later that evening ( Including the Wind) Ed and I headed back to Wings to pick up my weber grill. Ed suggested a flight and Not one to turn down a flight in Eds beautiful and I mean well kept and maitained Cherokee 180 I suggested a sightseeing loop tour around Philadelphia. So up we went to 2K and over to Philly Approach. Now I don't know if it was Eds friendly midwestern voice but I have NEVER gotten such friendly accomodating service from Philly ever before. This controller was practically pointing out the sights for us she even gave us hights of the Roxboro towers along our route. To encourage this behavior in the future I told Ed when we drop the sqwak code to thank her profusely .I mean this was unusual

The air was silky smooth and Ed handled his plane perfectly and I got to point out all the great landmarks to him from 2K. Later that evening around 9:45 we headed down town by car for dinnner and so I could show him the sights independece Hall, Liberty Bell yada yada yada. Had what Ed described as the best Nachos ever at a very trendy place full of 20 somethings and got back home around 1:00 A.M. which led me to ask myself 2 questions.

1) When the hell did I get so Old? And did I look that old to all the 25 year olds?
2) How come I still get up at 6-6:30 even when I'm out that late? I used to go out at 10 come home at 2-3 and sleep till noon. How do I do that again

I mean what the heck is up with that?

Anyway it was great and thanks again to all those that helps and attened.

Last edited:
I of course have a 3 to the 5th power thanks to Adam and his family. They played chauffer and host for me from Friday evening until this morning, and even though I dragged him downtown I couldn't even pick up the bill at El Vez - which does have the best nachos I've ever had.

Green with envy, wish I could have been there. Sounds like you've earned all the kudos and then some, Adam. Plus, you got to ride around in a short-wing Cherokee, which is some of the best aviating you can do (Ed's is a nice 'un).

Did Eamon bring his guitar?

Adam, You rock! Thanks everyone for the great flyin. PS..The Chesesteaks were greeeeat!

AdamZ said:
Contest Winners of a plaque and $25 gift certificate to the pilot shop at Wings ( only 7 of 17 planes participated , come on folks it was a blast. a special salute to Missa and Kaye for being such good sports)

Does that mean I came in last in the games????

I guess I missa'd all of them. :dunno:

Missa

Missa said:
Does that mean I came in last in the games????

I guess I missa'd all of them. :dunno:

Missa

Did you at least remember to stop on the spot parking??? I'm a bettin' I bombed out on everything. :goofy:

Kaye

And finally, my 2 cents worth. WOW, Adam, yesterday was GREAT!!! Even if you did shame me into playing the contest.....now you know why I was planning on by-passing that event. :p

And I finally got to put some faces with names, which is always great fun! So glad you're already planning on doing it again next year. And yes, I'll play in the contests again, someone has to give you a good laugh. :D

Kaye

TMetzinger said:
(Kaye, my Trinidad lands better than your Trinidad! :D I know, you only had a 10-15 minute drive home.)
(/quote]

Your Trinidad probably did land better than mine and I bet you beat me home. ATC wasn't accommodating with my early request for my ADIZ code. So I got to spend some quality time reaquainting myself with area between Sugarloaf and the ridge......at 2500'.....in the bumps......while I listened to winds getting worse at JYO. I was pooped when I finally landed.

But still, it was a great day. :yes:

Kaye,

Sorry to hear of your ADIZ woes. Maybe the drive from Fairfax to Frederick isn't so bad after all.

Hope to see you at the fly-in on Friday or Saturday

First time to Wings. Great time. Now that I know what precision parking is, I will be back.

Back