Thanks a lot, Ukraine

Not worried.

IIRC, someone once brought down a federal building with a van packed full of fertilizer and fuel oil, but so far there’s not a lot of government scrutiny of vans, and we don’t (yet) need a background check to purchase fertilizer.
And was only caught by the vin of the rear axle from the van he rented.

Yeah. That's worked wonders since never.
Canada, UK, France, Germany, and Russia have a combined 4,899 public use airports.

USA has 15,873. So we've got it pretty good.

The few bad apples of bad PR really do more harm for the hobby than the ones griping about noise, lead, or being a danger.

Getting back to commercial drones used for nefarious purposes, I suspect the main driver for drone registration in the US is that, and not airspace protection. When some ****at governor of a commie state gets whacked by a shotgun mounted on a quad copter, the FBI DHS wants to know who owns it.

Getting back to commercial drones used for nefarious purposes, I suspect the main driver for drone registration in the US is that, and not airspace protection. When some ****at governor of a commie state gets whacked by a shotgun mounted on a quad copter, the FBI DHS wants to know who owns it.

Bad idea. Registration is just a prelude to confiscation.

When drones are outlawed, only outlaws will have drones.

iu

I live in one of those commie states and I remember when my 2 guns, 3 drones and airplane were confisca... Oh wait, no. That never happened.

It turns out the government, as much as I hate them sometimes, is not really in the business of taking your stuff.

... Unless it's your money, which is really the only thing they care about in the end.

Not worried.

IIRC, someone once brought down a federal building with a van packed full of fertilizer and fuel oil, but so far there’s not a lot of government scrutiny of vans, and we don’t (yet) need a background check to purchase fertilizer.
No, but federal buildings look A LOT different from how they looked in 1994.

A country is fighting against our enemy, and someone is worried about how that might confuse the TSA? I can't wrap my head around how someone could hold a pilot's license and be able to reach that conclusion. The only take away I have from that clip is the embarrassment that we don't have the courage to send them B-1's.

Regardless of which sides are chosen in the current war (which is also a good way to get the thread locked), I think it is naive to think DHS isn't already planning to expand into and address what will inevitably occur by drone at some point here in the US.

Example:

AIRPORT & AVIATION SECURITY / INFRASTRUCTURE SECURITY / LAW ENFORCEMENT AND PUBLIC SAFETY

National Action Plan Seeks New Powers to Protect Against the Drone Threat​

Last edited:
Not worried.

I had to show an additional photo ID to rent a truck after 9/11. It was just luck that I had a CAP membership card with me (and the the guy at the rental office happened to also be a CAP member).

So you're a proponent of civil asset forfeiture.

Noted.

(All of those things can be found in countries run by dictators, btw)

Happens here all the time, too. Prior to conviction, no less. And not just for drug-related crimes.

Not if we stay calm, act rationally, engage in non-conspiratorial behavior and maintain good PR, and use the peaceful tools the Founders gave us to maintain our freedoms. Y'all need to stop living in fear, because that isn't good PR, guaranteed.
Accept as you all know the saying, “once the camel’s nose is under the tent….”

The facts on the Ukrainian "drone" as Forbes sees it:

Also google Reliable Robotics.

Accept as you all know the saying, “once the camel’s nose is under the tent….”
I think you meant “except” - and that’s been true as long as anyone typing on this forum has been alive and longer. Best to mitigate what you cannot prevent.

"the event" ?! Has open discussion of middle-eastern terrorists flying planes into skyscrapers on 9/11/2001 become something not to be spoken aloud like the N-word, "gypped", or selecting an incorrect pronoun contrary to someone's preference?

Regardless of which sides are chosen in the current war (which is also a good way to get the thread locked), I think it is naive to think DHS isn't already planning to expand into and address what will inevitably occur by drone at some point here in the US.
Wait, so we have to pretend that because we're not in it everything is equal? Along the lines of, Pol Pot, Franco, were just misunderstood, and there's no wrong answer?

I actually listened to an aviation safety seminar where the instructor started off with "remember, there are no wrong answers." Yes, there are! In art class, perhaps not. But in most areas of life there are lots of wrong answers, and pretending there aren't isn't a good plan. Chicken tartare? Yeah, that would be a wrong answer.

We didn't start out with a document that said "We hold these truths to be ambiguous".

As to the OP, this doesn't go back to Ukraine, it goes back to the Battle of Leyte Gulf, if not earlier. It's not either a secret or new technology.

We spend way too much time worrying about things these days.

I actually listened to an aviation safety seminar where the instructor started off with "remember, there are no wrong answers." Yes, there are! In art class, perhaps not. But in most areas of life there are lots of wrong answers, and pretending there aren't isn't a good plan. Chicken tartare? Yeah, that would be a wrong answer.
Maybe.

Cheaper options out there for Ukraine. Russia has thousands of them. The future of aerial warfare is changing rapidly.

Back