Thank you Henry Jay Heimlich

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
I can now say that the Heimlich maneuver really does work. About 15 minutes prior to writing this post I was the latest recipient of the method. I was trying to take a rather large pill, a anti-inflammatory for my back, it caught in my throat and I could not move it nor was I getting any air. My SO was in the other room playing with her iPod and I started banging loudly on the door jam of the bathroom. She came running and saw that I was choking and did the maneuver. OUT CAME THE PILL! In came the air. WOW was that an interesting experience.

I'm glad someone was there Scott. They say you can self adminster it if necessary. Don't know if anyone actually has.

I'm glad someone was there Scott. They say you can self adminster it if necessary. Don't know if anyone actually has.

I've been taught that the back of a chair works well for this.

Chris

I have done the Heimlich on two people over the years...it is always a trip to see the lodged item go "projectile"...

Glad you are ok my man!!!!

1) glad to hear it worked for you; and 2) glad to hear it works!

My worst nightmare is having something like that happen with nobody around. Hope you gave her a big ol' wet one right on the lips...

My worst nightmare is having something like that happen with nobody around. Hope you gave her a big ol' wet one right on the lips...

You and me both. I live alone and one time a horse pill didn't want to go down - it finally did, but it musta bruised something because it hurt for a while. I don't take horse pills alone at home anymore. Scary.

My SO was in the other room <snip> She came running and saw that I was choking and did the maneuver.

Oh, man, you're in deep trouble now. You'll never be allowed to forget this one!:D

Seriously, glad it worked and you're alright.

911 Operator: Have you Hemliched the victim?
Beavis: Mm....heh....have I licked his rectum? What?

I miss Beavis and Butthead.

Yeowza... glad you're still here!

Wow! Life is so transient. It just wasn't your day. Glad to know you get to play with us a little longer. :yesnod:

Tonight I was in Portugal at a conference. I spent the day at a "Ponseti" course learning how to manipulate and plaster cast babies with congenital club foot. This evening, only three hours ago. I was eating my Meal and talking to an orthopaedic surgeon from Vienna, when I found myself struggling with swallowing. I turned away and tried to dislodge the food with some water....no good!...I tried again, there was no feeling of panic at this stage, although I felt a little disorientated. I looked over at another delegate, who said..."Are you OK?, I shook my head. " "No", I said.
Before I could think a surgeon was behind me. I remember vaguely thinking..."he is performing the heimlich manoeuvre on me"!
I recovered immeadiately....I am so grateful for his quick thinking.....
I am a little embarrassed and a little sore around the rub cage......but OK......thank you so much for this manouevre.
Leigh Pattrson
Spain.

At least you know she doesn't just love you for your life insurance policy........

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back