Thai A380 Really hard landing at Narita Tokyo

Somewhat serious question...has anyone seen an A380 make anything other than a hard landing? The videos I have seen all had pretty rough touchdowns.

Somewhat serious question...has anyone seen an A380 make anything other than a hard landing? The videos I have seen all had pretty rough touchdowns.

What year did they bring it to Oshkosh? We felt the ground move when that one impacted... I mean landed.

What year did they bring it to Oshkosh? We felt the ground move when that one impacted... I mean landed.

I remember that...there is also a video of a Lufthansa one landing at SFO. Beautiful video and great approach, but then it slams into the runway with no flare at all.

It's pretty amazing to think about what the forces in that right main gear must have been when it hit. And then in the wing, supporting the engines flapping around at such a long arm. Pretty impressive.

The hardest landing I've ever been a part of was in a BA 744. It wasn't even a windy day! I was looking at the ground, kept expecting us to go into more of a flare...and then we didn't.

I've been out on the AOA here when they landed - didn't seem (from a spectators point) to be any harder than a 744. Haven't been on the AOA for a 748 (yet :))

You have ARRIVED!

In fairness, it seemed they were trying hard to make the turnoff to taxi into Shell Square without pushing back on the runway -- no room to turn around, and you can't brake if you're still flying. Still, it looked very carrier-like.

Looks good to me. This is exactly how I fly a Cessna 152. It has been a while since I've heard the stall warning! :D

I wonder how many landings like that they can get out of a set of tires?

That was almost as bad as the landing at Airventure.

That initial crab angle was intense. I guess the size of the aircraft adds to what I'm seeing but...wow... the PF must have been looking over his shoulder to maintain the centerline.

That initial crab angle was intense. I guess the size of the aircraft adds to what I'm seeing but...wow... the PF must have been looking over his shoulder to maintain the centerline.

That's what I noticed. Maybe they need crosswind gear so they can land it in a crab (like a B52).

Dave

Maybe it was the same guy... Sure looked like a similar situation! Big crab on final, rough touchdown, flapping wings... This one had a rolling moment at touchdown, the one in OSH got a pretty good PIO going in yaw.

Neither looked like fun. :no:

Personally I didn't see any "RWY licking" with A380, different story with a B747!

Back