TFRs for Presidential Candidates?

Morne

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Morne
I don't think they get TFRs, even if they have secret service protection, this early in the game. Still, Tuesday is looking to be a nice weather day, if a bit windy, and Santorum is going to be near 2G2. I'm considering flying down for the election night festivities.

OBVIOUSLY call and get briefed, double checking on TFRs. Duh.

When do you suppose a presidential candidate gets a TFR? After the nomination?

I don't think they get it until the official nomination, and I can't say that they get the TFR even then. Living in a swing state, if both candidates got the TFR, I'd never get to fly.

They may get it before the nomination. Once the nomination has become a fait acompli, I would bet that the Republican candidate's USSS protection will swing into full gear, even before the convention.

Normally,protection starts after nomination. Obama had it way early due to the number and credibility of the threats against him. And yes, they can decline, right up until they're elected, after which a law passed by Congress removes the option until they leave office.

There was a TFR for the GOP Debate at the Reagan Library in Santa Maria on Sept 7 2011. While it's not just for ONE candidate, it is a TFR for people not in presidential office.

Well I went tonight. Nice flying, except for the windshear coming home. Winds at surface were 190@07, but at 1000' agl they were 50+ knots! Interesting approach...

There was a TFR for the GOP Debate at the Reagan Library in Santa Maria on Sept 7 2011. While it's not just for ONE candidate, it is a TFR for people not in presidential office.

They had one for Chelsea Clintons wedding, I think daddy Bill asked for it mostly due to photographers. Lovely.

Back