TFR warning on ForeFlight?

orange

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Orange
Often times, I go on FF and see a future TFR.

This past Saturday (May 26), I made plans to meet up with a friend in NJ. I was flying out of Farmingdale (FRG) to Linden (LDJ). It's about 45nm. I had gone on FF a few days before, and even the night before, to plan my route, etc. There was no mention of any TFR.

Then I get to the airport, and realize that the Jones Beach Air Show is happening. I go on FF and NOW it showed the TFR. I know in the past, I have seen future TFR's shown on the map, but nothing until the day of this time.

I have no idea why it wasn't there before, not even the day before. I was ****ed having made the 45 minute drive to the airport.

I still could have made the flight if I flew out 5.5 miles off shore at <1500 AGL to avoid busting JFK Bravo and the TFR. NO GO.

The other option is to depart north and fly around Bravo outer ring to the north, west to north Jersey, and them south around Teterboro and Newark to central Jersey. 45nm trip turns into about 110nm.

I will do it another day.

Some of that may have to do with when the actual TFR was issued. There really isn't any standard on issuing TFRs or NOTAMs in advance. They can be issued the minute they are effective without notice. Doesn't make life any easier for pilots, thats for sure.

I have had fire TFR's not populate in Foreflight that I knew were there...check your NOTAMS!

There is still some value in calling Flight Service and logging your tail # for at least an abbreviated briefing should a TFR magically materialize and you are not talking to ATC. Even though I do a full briefing on FF, I still call for Notams and TFR's on the way to the airport for just that reason.

Why would an airshow get a VFR if no bigshots were in attendance?

All airshows get a TFR for their aerobatic box. Having a VFR plow through the box and hitting a performer would be bad for business.

And that reminds me, I need to go fill out online FCC paperwork for a friend’s airshow...

That TFR was in Foreflight for about a week before the actual air show.

Often times, I go on FF and see a future TFR.

This past Saturday (May 26), I made plans to meet up with a friend in NJ. I was flying out of Farmingdale (FRG) to Linden (LDJ). It's about 45nm. I had gone on FF a few days before, and even the night before, to plan my route, etc. There was no mention of any TFR.

Then I get to the airport, and realize that the Jones Beach Air Show is happening. I go on FF and NOW it showed the TFR. I know in the past, I have seen future TFR's shown on the map, but nothing until the day of this time.

I have no idea why it wasn't there before, not even the day before. I was ****ed having made the 45 minute drive to the airport.

I still could have made the flight if I flew out 5.5 miles off shore at <1500 AGL to avoid busting JFK Bravo and the TFR. NO GO.

The other option is to depart north and fly around Bravo outer ring to the north, west to north Jersey, and them south around Teterboro and Newark to central Jersey. 45nm trip turns into about 110nm.

I will do it another day.

So...why not fly through the Bravo? JFK will clear you westbound on the Track route from Bethpage. Track to Park Route, clear Bravo and checkout, they fly back to LDJ as normal.

What's NO-GO about that? There are options.

Back