TFR Transition Question

lovetwinprops

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
lovetwinprops
Hi- There are complex TFRs planned for the Los Angeles area this Saturday, and I have an event to go to in Santa Barbara. The TFRs take effect at 12:30 p.m. local, so getting up there by 11:00 a.m. won't be a problem. Getting back is the issue, as I either need to route myself many miles to the north and east to get around the TFR, or get approval to transition it. Hence my question.

The FAA says it might be possible to transition the TFR outside of the inner ring(s) while on a VFR or IFR flight plan with discrete transponder code, etc. But I need to know beFORE I head up to SBA that I'll be able to get back w/o the hassle of flying via Palmdale and Hesperia. Is there a way to find out IN ADVANCE if my VFR flight plan and transition route will be approved? I'd hate to get up to SBA and find that I can't get back without going WAY out of the way. Thanks in advance!

Gerry

It's workload permitting, so likely you wont know until you're in the air, on frequency and ask. Knowing how easy it normally is to get flight following around LA, and that most VFR pilots won't be flying I'll bet it won't be difficult though. If you're IFR especially they will probably shoot you right through.

You should not have a problem activating a VFR flight plan to transition outside of the inner rings. I've done this a few times up here in northern CA. The important things are to file the plan, call gnd/tower to get a squawk code, and call FSS (they will want your code, so get one first) to activate the plan BEFORE you ask for takeoff clearance. (Before you get in the air you may want to be on an active flight plane and squawking a discrete code. Definitely before you enter the TFR.)

If you want more peace of mind, you may want to call flight services on the phone to file the plan and you can ask the guy how it should work and what your chances are.

Should be fine.

No way to know in advance, but I think it is very unlikely you won't get a squawk. I would suggest IFR if possible, but if VFR is your only option, try to get flight following established as early as possible. If you're departing from a towered airport, ask for it on the ground. ATC would much rather be talking to you while you fly through the TFR rather than vectoring interceptors. ;)

You won't even know the active times for the TFR for sure before you leave for Santa Barbara. They move around sometimes.

Odds are, you won't have any trouble, but you may need to overfly lovely Palmdale on the odd chance something happens.

Except for the fact that CSC DUATS never filed the flight plan, :mad: , everything went well. I was planning to overfly the VNY VOR and KBUR, but ATC told me to stay a bit north of that KVNY and KBUR. Just as I passed Van Nuys, they gave me a specific heading which ended up taking me directly over Burbank as I had intended.

Anyway, there was no issue at all. Thanks for all the replies, comments, and suggestions.

Gerry

Back