TFR question

Matthew

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew
This popped up:

FDC 4/2599 ZKC MO..AIRSPACE FERGUSON, MO..TEMPORARY FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS WITHIN AN AREA DEFINED AS 3 NM RADIUS OF 384428N0901812W (ST LOUIS VORTAC STL129011.0) SFC-3000FT TO PROVIDE A SAFE ENVIRONMENT FOR LAW ENFORCEMENT ACTIVITIES. PURSUANT TO 14 CFR SECTION 91.137(A)(2) TEMPORARY FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS ARE IN EFFECT. ONLY RELIEF AIRCRAFT OPERATIONS UNDER DIRECTION OF ST. LOUIS COUNTY POLICE DEPARTMENT ARE AUTHORIZED IN THE AIRSPACE. AIRCRAFT LANDING AND DEPARTING ST. LOUIS LAMBERT AIRPORT ARE EXEMPT FROM THIS TFR. ST. LOUIS COUNTY POLICE DEPARTMENT, TELEPHONE 314-889-2360, IS IN CHARGE OF THE OPERATION. KANSAS CITY /ZKC/ ARTCC, TELEPHONE 913-254-8500, IS THE FAA COORDINATION FACILITY. 1408121315-1408182000

http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/sect_print_4_2599.html

It's a TFR that covers the area near St Louis where there has been some rioting. The TFR is inside the middle ring of STL Bravo (SFC-8000). Nobody should be inside that ring without clearance, and the TFR says that aircraft landing and departing from Lambert are exempt anyway.

I'm sure someone will figure a way to bust it, though. Ya think?

Why do they need a TFR? Do they intend on taking out the rioters with an AC 130?

A little over re-action . The area is bravo airspace.

Or to let news helos know that they won't be permitted near.

Or to let news helos know that they won't be permitted near.

That might be helpful. STL TRACON doesn't have to bother with denying them Class B clearance that way. I bet they still ask.

First guy that busts the airspace, I think I'm gonna "protest" and go steal me a new TV...

First guy that busts the airspace, I think I'm gonna "protest" and go steal me a new TV...

My stereo system is almost fifteen years old, now that I think about it.

Drudge is reporting that it was due to rioters firing shots at police and news helicopters. That would make sense with the 5000' cap, that's above the effective range of most small caliber civilian weapons.

Note - I said "most" - yeah I know there are others, but let's be realistic about what these people are going to be carrying on the streets...

What are they rioting about?
A local 18yo got shot by the cops. Things will calm down soon, Al Sharpton said he's on the way.

Drudge is reporting that it was due to rioters firing shots at police and news helicopters. That would make sense with the 5000' cap, that's above the effective range of most small caliber civilian weapons.

Note - I said "most" - yeah I know there are others, but let's be realistic about what these people are going to be carrying on the streets...

I think it's a 3000 top inside the ring that already tops at 8000.

Last edited:
It might be a reminder to the controllers at STL to keep traffic away in order to avoid stray bullets.

Man, now I need to get myself an A-10 Warthog with the titanium bathtub enveloping the cockpit.

And the 30 mm rotary cannon would be nice too.

Mostly it keeps the news chopper ghouls out of the airspace needed for law enforcement. They don't much care about class B when they set these TFRs up. When W (while he was still president) made an appearance next to my office which is between DC and Dulles Airport, they still set up a TFR there).

An unarmed 18 y/o teen got shot by the cops... who then left his body lying in the street (apparently near-unattended) for hours.

NOT the finest PR moment for the local PD.

Ah, now I understand why stores are being looted and burned. ;)

This.

That's just opportunistic people taking advantage of the general uproar. Sorta like after the Bulls won back in the 90's- apparently the way to celebrate a championship was with widescale chaos and looting.

Exactly. The gangs in Oakland riot when the Raiders lose. And when they win as well.

Back