TFR Question

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
While at work, the Weathermeister service sent me some information about a "pop-up" TFR that was near KTKI, McKinney, TX. (see the thumbnail).

My question is about the lines pointing in from the circle. Is there any significance to their arragment and angles?

Attachments

• TFR1.jpg
    TFR1.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 111
I can't find it on Foreflight but there is one to the South that is an X-potus TFR. Probably the same thing, that moved South. It's just a standard red circle. Not sure of the significance of the lines in yours, other than maybe to draw more attention to it.

Can you post text information that accompanied it?

Call me Nancy Drew

Downloaded the shape files, XML contained exact lat/long coordinates.

33.1758332436221, -96.7247222222222

Put those into google maps. A nursing home! Sounds innocuous enough, but those old people hate airplanes.

Searched McKinney news, and sure enough:

http://www.planostar.com/articles/2013/01/07/mckinney_courier-gazette/news/8831.txt

Someone in the nursing home must have convinced the construction worker to hit the gas line!

In all seriousness, I saw this a while back in Houston, except they were releasing nat gas into the air intentionally I believe. I think the TFR for that was only to a certain height though.

No, there is not, other than to show the TFR is inside the circle rather than outside it.

Huh ..:dunno::dunno::dunno:..

That would mean the TFR was for the entire planet,, except for the inner part of the red circle...:redface::(

That would mean the TFR was for the entire planet,, except for the inner part of the red circle...:redface::(
A few years back I was flying a cross country and my 496 lit up with a TFR that covered the entire US.

Of course, my first thoughts were 9/11 déjà vu all over again. Called ATC. They had no info. Called FSS...neither did they.

TFR remained for the duration. Must admit I was uneasy for the rest of the flight...in the back of my mind just waiting for an "all planes down" call from ATC.

Don't recall exactly when this was but it's in my logbook...thought it was noteworthy at the time.

Looks like they added 2000 AGL since I checked it earlier.

Doesn't show up on the site though...

Attachments

• TFR.png
    TFR.png
    40.6 KB · Views: 12
This is what Garmin Pilot is showing as a TFR in that area. Hmmm. Got me. Not a very comforting feeling not seeing it there.

ehedy5ut.jpg

Last edited:
And this is what ForeFlight is showing. Garmin says it is a VIP. Not sure what it is for.

y4u5y9en.jpg

Is this George Bush's house?

Last edited:
Yes, that's GB's home. And easily avoided by every one.

The TFR I was asking about was a short term pop-up that was only active for a few hours. Which is why Marauder didn't see it in the wee hours of the morning.

Interesting, I was taxiing out to take off last April. I had notices a 182 circling overhead but they never made an attempt to land. When I announced my departure someone from the FBO announced that there was a TFR in affect for the field and takeoff was prohibited. Another voice came over the radio "Highway Patrol NXXXX, what is your direction of flight?" I told him my heading and he approved the take off but said to he did not know when I could return to the field because they had a hostage situation at a local bank.

I flew to my destination and called the FBO to see if the situation was resolved and it was. I guess the guys were robbing a bank and were holding hostages. They also had guns and the OSP (Ohio State Patrol) was concerned they might shoot at an aircraft on base or final.

The 182 was an OSP aircraft basically flying cover.

Wild morning for sure!!!

Interesting, I was taxiing out to take off last April. I had notices a 182 circling overhead but they never made an attempt to land. When I announced my departure someone from the FBO announced that there was a TFR in affect for the field and takeoff was prohibited. Another voice came over the radio "Highway Patrol NXXXX, what is your direction of flight?" I told him my heading and he approved the take off but said to he did not know when I could return to the field because they had a hostage situation at a local bank.

I flew to my destination and called the FBO to see if the situation was resolved and it was. I guess the guys were robbing a bank and were holding hostages. They also had guns and the OSP (Ohio State Patrol) was concerned they might shoot at an aircraft on base or final.

The 182 was an OSP aircraft basically flying cover.

Wild morning for sure!!!

These are the kind of TFRs that scare the crap out of me. When these TFRs pop up are they FAA issued? They have to be, right? I'm sure this is why, in part, there is such a push on ADS-B. How else do you keep track of all of them in flight?

Agreed, a buddy of mine was in-bound to the same airport and he received a call from Columbus approach that alerted him to the issue. Not sure what would have happened if he was on on their frequency or was a norad. The bear in the air was great and made sure my departure was safe and away from danger. My buddy finally flew to a different airport and vegged out for a couple hours.

.....In all seriousness, I saw this a while back in Houston, except they were releasing nat gas into the air intentionally I believe. I think the TFR for that was only to a certain height though.

They have gas releases alot here in Wyoming... Whether it is a accidential puncture of a pipeline or they are venting a well and the flare didn't lite or numerous other issues.. Most times no TFR is issued..

Or course, the way the wind blows out here the chances of ignition are slim to none and slim left town back in 1887...

Yes, that's GB's home. And easily avoided by every one.

The TFR I was asking about was a short term pop-up that was only active for a few hours. Which is why Marauder didn't see it in the wee hours of the morning.

I love when the briefer always asks if I know about the GB TFR. Since it's in the Bravo surface area its not ever an issue, but we still must acknowledge it.

Anyway, I believe the reason for the temporary TFR's like the one you pointed out is not to change normal air traffic as much as it is to keep the news copters away. We've seen those in the past for all kinds of things including weddings.

When they ask if I'm familiar I just tell them I live in it.

I love when the briefer always asks if I know about the GB TFR. Since it's in the Bravo surface area its not ever an issue, but we still must acknowledge it.

Anyway, I believe the reason for the temporary TFR's like the one you pointed out is not to change normal air traffic as much as it is to keep the news copters away. We've seen those in the past for all kinds of things including weddings.

Just begging for a comment... ;)

Not as much fried food in Wyoming as one might think. Plenty of fast food. Plenty of bad food (like most places..). Lots of beef.

Of course with my intestinal upset over the holidays there was plenty of gas production...

Back