TFR Question for LEOs

What is the reason for keeping news choppers away?

They're annoying, intrusive, loud, and often don't contribute to solving the problem. Yes, there have been occasions where the news chopper was useful. However, when there are multiple aircraft, the chance for mid-air increases.

They're annoying, intrusive, loud, and often don't contribute to solving the problem. Yes, there have been occasions where the news chopper was useful. However, when there are multiple aircraft, the chance for mid-air increases.
None of which are consistent with the provisions of 91.137(a)(1).

Exactly how would a news chopper enroute to the scene VFR in Class G airspace know that they just deployed a TFR to stop it?

This is another piece of crapola just using 9/11 as the excuse to get the pony they always wanted.

I doubt it's so much for the news chopper. I used to be a photog in a news chopper, and they never seemed to mind us there. If they wanted us to move, they'd just tell us (and we usually would).

I would think that either A) they're going to have their own aircraft up and don't want to cause a conflict or B) they have a legitimate fear that the baddies are going to shoot at orbiting aircraft.

Because they just want to be ridiculous, unreasonable, obnoxious, and mean' That's why. Someone up the chain of command said, "hey, we have an emergency situation here, lets call up the FAA and make them keep all aircraft away from here. That way we can use this as a reason to screw with pilots."

Exactly how would a news chopper enroute to the scene VFR in Class G airspace know that they just deployed a TFR to stop it?

I believe you've just described every pilot's dilemma with TFRs.

Oh and $20 says it's in the SOP manual somewhere for the incident type. Dispatcher pulls up CAD script for the type of event and at step twelve there's, "Call FAA NOC and request TFR."

Procedures trump brainpower in today's world. Especially when there's some computerized checklist written by a higher authority to back it up.

Procedure will be followed no matter how dumb it is, once computers are involved. ;)

I think a five mile radius is extreme, but some level of restriction is called for. Think about it - armed man with a gun, flying target hovering over a populated area....

They also don't need the bad guys watching the deployment of the SWAT troops on TV.

Glad someone here understands operational security. The public interest can be served by seeing it later. The bad guy doesn't need to watch SWAT tiptoeing up to the side door.

I've not known of the Houston area to have a need for LEO TFR's. Usually the agency calls the station and asks, and they switch from aerial live action to some ground reporter who doesn't show scene details.

Glad someone here understands operational security. The public interest can be served by seeing it later. The bad guy doesn't need to watch SWAT tiptoeing up to the side door.

I've not known of the Houston area to have a need for LEO TFR's. Usually the agency calls the station and asks, and they switch from aerial live action to some ground reporter who doesn't show scene details.
Seeing what? The video that doesn't exist?

Why does it matter?
These law enforcement TFRs are becoming more common. Some are justified, some aren't. I think this one, at 5 miles, was excessively large.
Was your day totally ruined because something "bigger" than you was going on?
No, but somebody's might have been unnecessarily ruined. The TFR did nothing to prevent a news helicopter from broadcasting video from the scene, but it did effectively shut down Lake City Airport (LCQ) which is 2.74 nm away.

No, but somebody's might have been unnecessarily ruined. The TFR did nothing to prevent a news helicopter from broadcasting video from the scene, but it did effectively shut down Lake City Airport (LCQ) which is 2.74 nm away.

How do you know? Perhaps the lack of RV coverage allowed SWAT to take the scumbag down.

I guess it'd be much better for him to be watching the news and see the marching ants as they came, so he'd be able to take a few with him.

Pitty, Johnny CEO was delayed 45min to his next meeting, to allow a situation larger than him to occur safely..

I can understand that. You wouldn't want a prison riot in an unsafe environment.

Does that tell you how stupid our government has gotten? The government has become big brother, that is the big brother that kicks the crap out of you every day on the way home from school. and tells you it was for your own good.

How do you know? Perhaps the lack of RV coverage allowed SWAT to take the scumbag down.
Since the cameras on news helicopters would have easily been able to zoom in from above the TFR, they could have broadcast the event. A 1- or 2-mile radius TFR would have been just as effective. Of course one could argue that the ceiling of the TFR should have been higher, but how high? The cameras on a Predator could have seen it from 15,000 ft.

Two major reasons.

1 - To keep helicopter noise away from the scene. The bad guys hear a chopper and assume it's the SWAT team getting ready to rappel in, and start freaking out.

2 - To prevent conflicts with LE or medevac aviation ops which may be operating and maneuvering in the area. I have been in a PD chopper and had a near miss with TV choppers.

3 - To reduce the likelihood of live video footage of the SWAT team moving or prepping for entry.

Back