TFR over Long Beach Grand Prix?

JBrown243

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jason
Anyone know if there will be a TFR the weekened of the Long Beach Grand Prix? I'm leaving on a cruise out of long beach on the 13th and wanted to fly to Long Beach instead of drive.

Well the main INDYCAR race gets the generic "stadium" TFR. The other events not so much. I see nothing in the Class II book for Long Beach (they list the Masters, the Kentucky Derby, Thunder over Kentucky, four NASCAR races, and the final four.

Why couldn't you fly? The TFR provides for talking with ATC and operational necessity. I cannot imagine flying down from San Jose and then not speaking with SoCal and getting a code either after the VFR LAX corridor or using one of the other VFR corridors. Even going around - and coming down over El Monte or POM VOR - its no big deal. Get a code and land at LGB or where ever.

Per FDC 9/5151, all IRL races get the stadium TFR, not just the Indy 500, so the Long Beach race is "covered". However, the TFR is only 3nm radius/3000 AGL, so unless the race is on your airport, you should be able to work around it, and even if it's right next to the airport, if you have a control tower, it should still be possible to fly.

The Class II book to which FRon referred includes the much expanded and stricter TFR's over the really major sporting events like the Super Bowl, Final Four, etc, which not only have TFR's, but also usually flow restrictions and slots for arrival/departure. This ain't one of those.

Back