TFR over Hyannis

silver-eagle

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
~John
AOPA is reporting the FAA has issued a TFR for the Kennedy Compound in Hyannis Ma. 5,000 feet and 3 miles. Isn't this just a little farther down the very slippery slope? Are we soon to catch a TFR for every "senior" elected official?

AOPA is reporting the FAA has issued a TFR for the Kennedy Compound in Hyannis Ma. 5,000 feet and 3 miles. Isn't this just a little farther down the very slippery slope? Are we soon to catch a TFR for every "senior" elected official?

Ted probably isn't getting needed rest with all the news choppers buzzing the property for a good shot for the 10 o'clock news. I don't think it's you and me causing the problem.

Without the TFR there would be a solid overcast of tabloid paparazzi over Hyannis. You have those vultures to thank for this. :lightning:

Nah its not like they are giving him treatments on his front lawn. This is IMHO and abslolute rediculous TFR. I hope AOPA chimes in on this.

No, I think it's valid for exactly the same reason we have TFRs over other major news events. I don't think this is due to his status as a VIP per se, but a response to a specific news event.

One valid reason is to protect the media helos from each other. From what I saw, it was a collision in the making.

Then again, I don't think it would be much of a shortage on the media.

His sailboat was getting strafed by the Grumman Air Force. Nothing to see here.......

:D

Nah its not like they are giving him treatments on his front lawn. This is IMHO and abslolute rediculous TFR. I hope AOPA chimes in on this.

No, I think it's valid for exactly the same reason we have TFRs over other major news events. I don't think this is due to his status as a VIP per se, but a response to a specific news event.

K, where in the NOTAM is it writ "For reasons of national celebrity..."? 'cause like, Babs already tried to get a PFR in Malibu. Could be a good source of campaign donations.

K, where in the NOTAM is it writ "For reasons of national celebrity..."? 'cause like, Babs already tried to get a PFR in Malibu. Could be a good source of campaign donations.
From the AIM 3-5-3. Temporary Flight Restrictions
b. The purpose for establishing a temporary flight restrictions area is to:
3. Prevent an unsafe congestion of sightseeing aircraft above an incident or event which may generate a high degree of public interest (14 CFR Section 91.137(a)(3)).

Don't hold your breath. I'm betting money AOPA says nothing more than "Watch out, Pilots!"

I suggest you contact Phil and give him your opinion about this TFR (and others like it). You might also contact your local FAA and suggest they deal with the sightseeing news whores directly.
Leave the man alone. It's not like he's a movie star. (And if Ted wants a little privacy, MOVE!)

You feel this TFR is not because he is a 'celebrity'? So, if I had a brain tumor (I've been accused of being a little whacked at times) then they would immediately put a TFR over my apartment?

Only because he is who he is, is this a 'newsworthy' event at all! (I wonder if the Coast Guard puts out a TSR [temporary sailing restriction] every time he goes sailing?)

Personally (at the risk of being put in the Spin Zone penalty box), I think he should go to Canada to get treatment, and see how the results of socialized medicine really work! I bet he would quit stumping for nationalized health care very quickly!

I do not wish to sound unfeeling, and wish him a speedy recovery.

I'm sure it is because of his celebrity status. This is, after all, Massachusetts. If a kennedy can't get elected here, he moves to Rhode Island! The newshounds were on his butt the second they announced he was leaving the hospital. They had a large contingent of State Police at the door to keep them at bay.
Though my friends disagree with me, I think the TFR is unwarranted. What they should do is enforce the rules the FAA has. Smack them news hounds hard for violations and they won't ever do it again. (by hard, remember what the FAA did to Southwest.)
My problem with all this is that it isn't like the man is convalescing at home. He is out sailing on his boat; not trying to hide. He is milking this for all it's worth and the FAA has just fallen for it hook line and sinker. He'll grand stand this for all the attention and free publicity he can get.
Do not get me wrong. I wish him well as I do most people suffering from such an insidious malady. I know too many people who have passed on because of cancer and many who are receiving treatment for it not to. But please, the TFR is totally unwarranted. See and avoid!

Personally (at the risk of being put in the Spin Zone penalty box), I think he should go to Canada to get treatment, and see how the results of socialized medicine really work! I bet he would quit stumping for nationalized health care very quickly!
He does nto need to do that. He is a US Senator. All of the congressman have one of the best health plans in the nation. It is fully funded, and pays for everything of their choice.
http://www.heritage.org/Research/HealthCare/BG1123.cfm

Back