TFR For Wrestling Match

jnmeade

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Jim Meade
My supposition is the Iowa - Oklahoma State wrestling meet at 1100 CST on Saturday, 14 Nov in Kinnick Stadium, the Iowa football venue, is subject to the sports TFR rules. The expected crowd is 30,000+.

I called FSS more out of fun than anything else. They were polite and gave me the the line that it was up to the pilot to figure it out. I kind of knew that.

This will be a record breaking attendance record between the historic top two NCAA wrestling programs, so it is getting a lot of buzz. I wonder how many UA will buzz the stadium? I'm sure they don't have a clue.

I thought the stadium TFR was for NCAA football games (and other things, but wrestilg wasn't mentioned)? If this is specifically for a wrestling meet, wouldn't it have been issued and on file and available to FSS?

"...ANY STADIUM HAVING A SEATING CAPACITY OF 30,000 OR MORE PEOPLE WHERE EITHER A REGULAR OR POST SEASON MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL, NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE, OR NCAA DIVISION ONE FOOTBALL GAME IS OCCURRING. THIS NOTAM ALSO APPLIES TO NASCAR SPRINT CUP, INDY CAR, AND CHAMP SERIES RACES EXCLUDING QUALIFYING AND PRE-RACE EVENTS."

Not one of the listed sports such as NCAA division one football? Not a TFR.

Apparently wrestling is typically an indoor sport and banner towing isn't considered an issue.

So I'm guessing the blimp would be useless.

Oh, I thought it was going to be about the Republican debate...

I talked to Cedar Rapids Approach, the controlling authority, while taking a flight today and they confirmed the event didn't get a TFR.

Back