TFR for Fire Fighting Over Most of AZ and NM SFC-12500

CC268

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
CC268
Well was going to fly to Lake Havasu tomorrow...did an Outlook Brief and there is a massive TFR for firefighting SFC-12500, covering most of AZ and NM. Effective June 20th - June 30th. So does this mean no flying at all? Can't really avoid this TFR...

I'll just check it out in the morning again see what's up

Makes sure to read the text of the TFR. Many have a "controlling agency" and can handle transients if they're talking to the whoever is controlling.

But look ahead starting tomorrow...the TFR isn't in effect until tomorrow...idk maybe I am missing something here or something is screwed up. Came up on 1800WXBrief and through ForeFlight Brief
Are you looking at the set of TFR areas southwest of Safford AZ (7/5366, 7/7953 and 7/8600)? They're about normal size for a large wildfire, and certainly not "most of AZ and NM." The dimensions are changing day to day, possibly because the routes flown by the firefighting aircraft may be changing. They've set an expiration date a month out, perhaps because they expect the mop-up operations to take an extended time.

Are you looking at the set of TFR areas southwest of Safford AZ (7/5366, 7/7953 and 7/8600)? They're about normal size for a large wildfire, and certainly not "most of AZ and NM." The dimensions are changing day to day, possibly because the routes flown by the firefighting aircraft may be changing. They've set an expiration date a month out, perhaps because they expect the mop-up operations to take an extended time.

No I see those ones your referring to. I'm not sure what the deal is

Makes sure to read the text of the TFR. Many have a "controlling agency" and can handle transients if they're talking to the whoever is controlling.

Yea there is a controlling agency listed

Yea there is a controlling agency listed

Yeah, there's always a controlling agency. The text will usually list if they're allowing transient flights right in the text. Generally if it's omitted, they're not.

As I originally thought...I missed the info. It outlines a huge area on the graphical map but the actual TFRs are listed as smaller areas. Won't affect me....whoops

Last edited:
How'd you like flying that Verde Valley? Probably smooth on the way up but since it was 90 degrees at 9am, bumpy on the way back?

How'd you like flying that Verde Valley? Probably smooth on the way up but since it was 90 degrees at 9am, bumpy on the way back?

See route below...it was smooth as glass both ways. Got back to KDVT at 9

IMG_1205.PNG

Back