TFR conundrum

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
The V.P.s TFR is somewhat confounding. Yah I know the need for TFRs is confounding and scurity theatre to begin with but his is not very consistent. Its always been a 1500 AGL TFR. Recently I've seen it as a 3000 AGL TFR. I thought eh perhaps its when he is home in Greenville DE but then its been 1500 when his is home. Plus if your gonna have a TFR what the hell is 3000 vs 1500 gonna do? See these two recent TFR NOTAMS.

http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_0_2714.html 3000'

http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_9_3124.html 1500'

Why the heck would it rise by 1500' it sure ain't the POTUS'

A final thought why the hell aren't TFRs MSL?

Last edited:
I can't help you with the political/security questions, but as for...
A final thought why the hell are TFRs MSL?
...they're not, except for the top of the Presidential (17,999 MSL, since Class A begins at 18,000 MSL). All the VP ones other than the one at Biden's house in Wilmington DE (which is close enough to SL so as not to really matter) are 3000 AGL.

Doh Ron I goofed on that I edited my post I meant to say why is Bidens AGL and Not MSL.

Doh Ron I goofed on that I edited my post I meant to say why is Bidens AGL and Not MSL.
For the reason I said -- for VP, they only protect a volume up 3000 feet from the ground, but for the Pres, they protect all the way up to the Class A, and (at least in the CONUS) that's always 17,999 MSL. I suppose they could check the elevation where the VP is going to be and add 3000 to that to give the top of the TFR in MSL, but I guess it's easier for them to let the pilots do the math and hang them if they screw it up.

Anyone else getting the TFR emails from the FAA about a week late? I was getting them on time as they were published to the tfr.faa.gov site, but now I am getting notifications for Oct 18th. :dunno: All my other emails seem to be coming in timely.

Anyone else getting the TFR emails from the FAA about a week late? I was getting them on time as they were published to the tfr.faa.gov site, but now I am getting notifications for Oct 18th. :dunno: All my other emails seem to be coming in timely.

Yes - noticed that about a week ago. Very odd!! Not particularly useful.

Gary

Rob those are exactly the ones I was talking about.

I got a couple yesterday for the TFRs in Seattle and Portland that were last week. Methinks someone is asleep at the switch at the FAA.

Yup. It was mentioned in another thread recently, too.

Back