TFR Clusterf*** (long)

Skip Miller

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Skip Miller
My wife and I were flying VFR KHPN – KMVY to visit friends. We were to depart Monday, September 14 2009 at 9am. The weather could not have been better, we even had tailwinds on the way out. 135 kts. over the ground in an Archer! :thumbsup: But that is getting ahead of the story.

It turns out that President Obama decided to make a speech in NYC that day, and the TFR for his visit went up at 10:05. KHPN is just barely under the outer ring of the NY Class Bravo, and therefore in the outer ring of the TFR. Departing at 9am - no problem… but just in case I called Flight Service the night before for an outlook briefing specific to the TFR. As part of the briefing, I asked “who gives me the VFR squawk code.” “Oh, you can get that from NY Approach”. “Got a phone number? I can’t take off without one.” “Oh, right. In that case, call clearance delivery.”

The inevitable delays occurred on my end, and we were not ready to taxi until 10:15. The TFR was already in effect. I needed a VFR flight plan and a squawk code for a grand total of three miles on my route of flight, and then I would be outside the outer Class B ring and therefore beyond the reach of the TFR. By this time I had filed and opened my VFR flight plan with FSS, and completed all preflight checks except the runup, and had taxied to the edge of the movement area. I called ground and asked him about the VFR squawk code. They at first confirmed I needed to talk to CD. They called back just before I changed radio freq, and said that I needed to call Flight Services, and that CD would not be able to help me. I couldn’t raise FSS on the radio from that location, so I shut down and contacted them on the cell phone.

I was greeted by a surprised and incredulous FSS operator. “They told you to call me for a squawk code? We can’t do that!” I told him the whole story up to that point, and he suggested I call the Tracon, and gave me a phone number.

I called the Tracon and got right through. The sympathetic guy said it is the tower’s responsibility to issue squawk codes, and he would call the tower and straighten it out. I gave him my cell number and he promised to call back. He did, but I was talking to FS again, so he left a voicemail. (I called FS to add an hour to my VFR Flight Plan arrival time… turns out I needed it!) Tracon left me a different telephone number at the Tracon, to a desk that was allegedly responsible for coordinating squawk codes.

I called that one, and was met with the same “they told you what?” response. Aside from that, he too was quite helpful. He asked for some time to research the matter, he would call the tower, and would call me back.

He did. He said “we are no longer supposed to do this, but I am filing an IFR flight plan for you with a VFR altitude, and “VFR – Squawk code to exit TFR” in the remarks. Give it a few minutes and then call Tower.” I began to monitor tower and ground, and before I called them, ground called me. I got the squawk code at 11:15 so we wasted an hour on the ground. I was glad I had shut down! The rest of the flight went well. We returned late at night with no TFR in effect, with stars above and visibility limited to 30 miles. I know that won't impress you westerners, but for the east coast, that is as about as good as it gets. The T-D spread was down to 2 degrees so it was beginning to haze up out in the Islands.

I still don’t know what the correct procedure for getting the VFR squawk code is :dunno:. What worked, eventually, was calling Tracon and whining. And according to the helpful guy at the Tracon, he wasn’t supposed to do what he eventually did for me to spring me loose.

The point of this story: Who at AOPA should I send this to? It is clear that the FAA and FSS locally need better information about how to handle VFR departures and arrivals into the outer ring of TFRs, and I think AOPA is the logical collection point for these stories/complaints. They need to spearhead an effort for better information dissemination within the ATC organization on behalf of all non-IR pilots.

Thanks!

-Skip

The responsible ATC facility for the airspace you were in is responsible for giving you the code. That would normally be the tower, or approach control if no tower's in operation.

Once you're talking to the appropriate ATC facility, you should just tell them "The NOTAM says I need to be on a discrete code" and they should assign you one. Essentially you get handled like an IFR flight even though your VFR.

Now, the problems you ran into are not your fault at all, and I applaud your judgement in not just launching when various FAA-folk couldn't give you what you needed. I'm just stunned that in that particular airspace that they weren't all ready to accomodate you. Doesn't HPN have a tower in operation at that time?

Yes, KHPN has a tower, and at 9am monday for sure they were open.

I was under the same understanding you note above about who issues the code. When I contacted them, they were quick to point me elsewhere because nobody knew anything about what needed to be done.

-Skip

Skip,

I don't recall the wording of the TFR. If it worked like DC, they didn't communicate the information clearly. Around DC it's old hat, not so in areas that get floating TFRs.

In DC, you need to file TWO flight plans: One is your regular SAR VFR plan. The other would be exactly what the guy in the end did: an IFR plan with VFR altitude and a note that you're departing the TFR area. (what we call an SFR, formerly ADIZ, flight plan)

If that had been the case, Flight Service should have known that and taken care of it for you.... esp. when the TFR came up. Tower (Clearance) should have known that, too.

I applaud you for not just launching, but taking care to straighten the situation out.

It is worth a note to AOPA, because something wasn't handled well.

Bill

Yay I'm so glad the system caught you!!!!!! You could have presented a major threat to our president. I'm shocked that you find the hoops through which you had to jump burdensome. After all, we're talking about the safety of the President of the United States. An Archer? Honestly, sounds like that thing is equipped to project arrows. You could have unleashed a fusilllade of arrows at our lawfully-elected president before an F16 or F15 armed with AAMRAMs would have had a chance.

Frankly, you sound like a panty-waist for complaining about the runaround. Why don't you just travel by car like the rest of us wage-earning Joes?

:rolleyes:

OK.

I think that you should write up an ASRS form (for the good of aviation as a whole), and then copy the pertinent data to AOPA.

The NY approach control should have a QA staff that you can talk to as well, they should be able to figure out if the HPN folks were just nuts that day or if they really did feel that you were supposed to go code-chasing on your own.

Another way to get the code is to request flight following from CD or the tower, and they will (workload permitting) generally coordinate with approach and get you a discrete code before you launch. That said, there may be some sort of feud between NY approach and HPN tower - I foujnd out there was one at FRG after I got dumped by NY approach 1 mile from the Class D at 160 knots without a handoff, and was in the class D before I could even switch frequencies.

Another reason for the instrument rating - it makes all of that stuff ATC's problem to handle when you're IFR.

And let me say it again - you did a good job, captain.

OK.

I think that you should write up an ASRS form (for the good of aviation as a whole), and then copy the pertinent data to AOPA.

The NY approach control should have a QA staff that you can talk to as well, they should be able to figure out if the HPN folks were just nuts that day or if they really did feel that you were supposed to go code-chasing on your own.

Another way to get the code is to request flight following from CD or the tower, and they will (workload permitting) generally coordinate with approach and get you a discrete code before you launch. That said, there may be some sort of feud between NY approach and HPN tower - I foujnd out there was one at FRG after I got dumped by NY approach 1 mile from the Class D at 160 knots without a handoff, and was in the class D before I could even switch frequencies.

Another reason for the instrument rating - it makes all of that stuff ATC's problem to handle when you're IFR.

And let me say it again - you did a good job, captain.

Tim,

If the TFR said he had to be on a flight plan (not just a code, but a plan), then the standard VFR plan never makes it to ATC.

When I was in Texas, the SOP around Bush's ranch when the TFR was in effect was EXACTLY the same procedure as the DC SFRA. Two plans, one an ADIZ/TFR plan that went to ATC, and one a standard VFR search & rescue plan.

I suspect that's where the problem lay, and if it is the blame is primarily on FSS for not handling it right, with secondary blame on ATC for not knowing better.

This is why I file IFR almost all the time these days. That was reinforced to me with a little problem I had with Potomac well outside the ADIZ/SFRA that resulted in my filing an ASRS report - that would not have been an issue IFR.

You're right, file ASRS and fuss to AOPA.

Last edited:
OK.

I think that you should write up an ASRS form (for the good of aviation as a whole), and then copy the pertinent data to AOPA.\.
I agree with Tim. Also copy your local FSDO with a cover letter outlining how this was a royal PIA and potential CF, but in nice words. I would also then bundle all of these letter together and send them to your Congresscritters telling them you are tired of security theater.

Tim,

If the TFR said he had to be on a flight plan (not just a code, but a plan), then the standard VFR plan never makes it to ATC.

When I was in Texas, the SOP around Bush's ranch when the TFR was in effect was EXACTLY the same procedure as the DC SFRA. Two plans, one an ADIZ/TFR plan that went to ATC, and one a standard VFR search & rescue plan.

I suspect that's where the problem lay, and if it is the blame is primarily on FSS for not handling it right, with secondary blame on ATC for not knowing better.

This is why I file IFR almost all the time these days. That was reinforced to me with a little problem I had with Potomac well outside the ADIZ/SFRA that resulted in my filing an ASRS report - that would not have been an issue IFR.

You're right, file ASRS and fuss to AOPA.

He WAS on a flight plan - he opened that with FSS. There's no requirement outside of the SFRA for a "special" flight plan. The FoD (Forces of Darkness) want the airplanes to be identified, and in contact with ATC, and their intentions known. That's all. The end result in the ATC system is the same - there's a strip generated, but in the SFRA there's a specific requirement for the PILOT to do the work to make that strip happen, and in the moving TFRs, the responsibility is on the part of ATC (and possibly FSS) to make the strip happen, the pilot is not required to know how that comes about.

It could have been avoided if FSS had a procedure for these Security TFRs (maybe they do and it wasn't carried out), or if ATC had done what they ended up doing at the first part. The fault is clearly with the Gov't (FSS or ATC), but I just am not sure FSS is the appropriate party to blame yet.

He WAS on a flight plan - he opened that with FSS. There's no requirement outside of the SFRA for a "special" flight plan. The FoD (Forces of Darkness) want the airplanes to be identified, and in contact with ATC, and their intentions known. That's all. The end result in the ATC system is the same - there's a strip generated, but in the SFRA there's a specific requirement for the PILOT to do the work to make that strip happen, and in the moving TFRs, the responsibility is on the part of ATC (and possibly FSS) to make the strip happen, the pilot is not required to know how that comes about.

It could have been avoided if FSS had a procedure for these Security TFRs (maybe they do and it wasn't carried out), or if ATC had done what they ended up doing at the first part. The fault is clearly with the Gov't (FSS or ATC), but I just am not sure FSS is the appropriate party to blame yet.

It doesn't sound to me that anyone but the Tower screwed up. And in addition to filing via ASRS and contacting AOPA, I'd call the tower and ask to meet with the Supervisor. If this hasn't already been investigated by ATC management it needs to be. I'm thinking that either someone at the tower was supposed to read the NOTAM and/or someone else was supposed to give them a procedure to handle VFR departures while the TFR was active.

I can't believe KHPN Tower couldn't expedite this for you... it would actually be less trouble for everyone if those concerned had a clear idea of how to proceed. It's mind-blowing... you had to get Tracon to file an IFR plan for you !? Wouldn't it be simpler to temporarily regard the TFR zone (including the KPHN Class D) as Class B airspace, and handle VFR flights in that area as they normally would in a Class B? CD notes you will enter the TFR zone, Tower hands you off to NY Approach, or LGA Tower, or whoever would handle you if you were to depart KHPN and climb into the nearest part of the Class B when the TFR is not in effect... is that too simple or something? :dunno:

I agree that a dialogue with the tower staff would be very useful.

This is a case for simply filing IFR with VFR/XX in the altitude block. It would make situations like this very trivial.....

-Felix

Last edited:
HA I love that term " Security theater" that is beautiful. Mind if I steal it and use it liberally ( as in a lot not as in left LOL)

I think the term has been in the public domain for awhile. I have read the full version as "Security Theater of the Absurb"

HA I love that term " Security theater" that is beautiful. Mind if I steal it and use it liberally ( as in a lot not as in left LOL)
I did not coin it, I stole from somewhere else too. Please use it, I think it describes beautifully the systems that were put in place post 911

The problem with this deal is that while Potomac Approach is fully conversant in the process, many (if not most) other ATC facilities are not. 'Twould be nice if the FAA would provide appropriate instructions for each ATC facility affected by these Presidential TFR's so this doesn't happen.

The problem with this deal is that while Potomac Approach is fully conversant in the process, many (if not most) other ATC facilities are not. 'Twould be nice if the FAA would provide appropriate instructions for each ATC facility affected by these Presidential TFR's so this doesn't happen.
It would be "nice" if they stopped the insanity and uselessness of these huge TFRs.

It doesn't sound to me that anyone but the Tower screwed up. And in addition to filing via ASRS and contacting AOPA, I'd call the tower and ask to meet with the Supervisor. If this hasn't already been investigated by ATC management it needs to be. I'm thinking that either someone at the tower was supposed to read the NOTAM and/or someone else was supposed to give them a procedure to handle VFR departures while the TFR was active.
This needs to be done. Her name is Nancy and she is very helpful and intelligent.

For President Bush's Crawford, Texas home - The way it was described, and the way it actually worked, were a little different from each other, but it worked just fine for anyone with a reasonably adequate supply of firing neurons.

The NOTAM required a flight pl,an on file (VFR or IFR), a discrete xpdr code assigned and in use, and that the pilot be in continuous contact with the controlling facility (Waco Approach). IFR or VFR Flight Following either worked fine.

In addition, I discovered that the determination of whether an aircraft was a threat rested with the good people at Waco Approach, because one time (this was before I was IFR), I was flying to Austin, and had planned a route which took me on a dogleg to avoid the expanded P49 space; I was on Flight Following, though, and shortly after being handed off to Waco App, the controller told me I was "cleared to Austin vi a direct" (terminology with which I was unaware as a blue-sky pilot). I told him I did not have a flight plan on file per the NOTAM, and he said, "If you're talking with me, you're good to go, because we're the ones who decide if you're a threat."

---

In any event, I would like to have read the NOTAM for the TFR in effect the day of Skip's flight; it might well be that your simple answser would have been to simply file the flight plan, and request VFR Flight Following; the discrete code assigned before you take off might well have covered you here.

In any event, I would like to have read the NOTAM for the TFR in effect the day of Skip's flight; it might well be that your simple answser would have been to simply file the flight plan, and request VFR Flight Following; the discrete code assigned before you take off might well have covered you here.

I am not aware of the exact NOTAM that was in effect at that time. But I do have to deal with bravo airspace and I can tell you that they do not have a lot of experience with VFR traffic. Especially Chicago. Luckily I can file IFR and get a squawk, I can get it on the ground by calling a number that contect me to the traffic flow guy at the Chi-TRACON. But he will never see a VFR flight plan at his station. Since FSS in Kanakee cannot issue the squawk they would send someone calling in to the TRACON. The TRACON would want you then to file an IFR flight plan. For a VFR pilot that could be confusing and then there is the issue that the TRACON would want to treat you as IFR traffic. I can see where the system is just set up for some situations.

Yay I'm so glad the system caught you!!!!!! You could have presented a major threat to our president. I'm shocked that you find the hoops through which you had to jump burdensome. After all, we're talking about the safety of the President of the United States. An Archer? Honestly, sounds like that thing is equipped to project arrows. You could have unleashed a fusilllade of arrows at our lawfully-elected president before an F16 or F15 armed with AAMRAMs would have had a chance.

Frankly, you sound like a panty-waist for complaining about the runaround. Why don't you just travel by car like the rest of us wage-earning Joes?

:rolleyes:

LMAO!

I am not aware of the exact NOTAM that was in effect at that time. But I do have to deal with bravo airspace and I can tell you that they do not have a lot of experience with VFR traffic. Especially Chicago. Luckily I can file IFR and get a squawk, I can get it on the ground by calling a number that contect me to the traffic flow guy at the Chi-TRACON. But he will never see a VFR flight plan at his station. Since FSS in Kanakee cannot issue the squawk they would send someone calling in to the TRACON. The TRACON would want you then to file an IFR flight plan. For a VFR pilot that could be confusing and then there is the issue that the TRACON would want to treat you as IFR traffic. I can see where the system is just set up for some situations.

There is no question that we are treated pretty well here, where our extremely-busy Bravo Airspace controllers still seem to find time to give excellent service to all aircraft. Perhaps if the Chicago guys were a little better trained...

On point, though: the Bush TFR recited a requirement for a flight plan, but it could be a VFR flight plan and (as pointed out to me by Waco Approach) the controllers had no idea whether a VFR flight plan was on file, as they received no notice of it anyway. All they cared about was that you be squawking (discrete), talking and following instructions.

Yeah, the flight plan was just something that someone in the FoD (who didn't understand the VFR and IFR plans are handled differently by the system) came up with.

The FAA (pay attention, this is praise, which they should get when they deserve it) really has done a very good job of taking nutso requirements from the FoD, killing the worst ones, and finding a way to make it work. Like sausage, you may not like to watch it being made, and the result may not always be to your taste, but you CAN eat it.

... There's no requirement outside of the SFRA for a "special" flight plan... The end result in the ATC system is the same - there's a strip generated...
I live in the SFRA, but have never had to fly through a VIP TFR away from home.

In the SFRA, you have to file a 'special' flight plan for VFR, because it has to actually go into the system as an IFR flight plan. This is necessary in order to generate the strip with ATC. If you file a traditional VFR flight plan (i.e. a "SAR" flight plan), that doesn't cause any interaction with ATC, that's purely an FSS thing, no strip is generated.

So what I've never been clear on for these non-SFRA TFRs is "are you filing a 'special' flight plan, or can it be just a regular ol' traditional VFR flight plan?" The answer, in the SFRA, is very definitely that a traditional VFR flight plan will do nothing to help you meet the requirements.
-harry

Last edited:
I live in the SFRA, but have never had to fly through a VIP TFR away from home.

In the SFRA, you have to file a 'special' flight plan for VFR, because it has to actually go into the system as an IFR flight plan. This is necessary in order to generate the strip with ATC. If you file a traditional VFR flight plan (i.e. a "SAR" flight plan), that doesn't cause any interaction with ATC, that's purely an FSS thing, no strip is generated.

So what I've never been clear on for these non-SFRA TFRs is "are you filing a 'special' flight plan, or can it be just a regular ol' traditional VFR flight plan?" The answer, in the SFRA, is very definitely that a traditional VFR flight plan will do nothing to help you meet the requirements.
-harry

All the VIP TFRs I've seen contain this language:

"1. ALL AIRCRAFT SHALL BE ON AN ACTIVE IFR OR VFR FLIGHT PLAN. 2. ALL AIRCRAFT SHALL SQUAWK A DISCRETE TRANSPONDER CODE ASSIGNED BY ATC. ALL AIRCRAFT SHALL SQUAWK THE DISCRETE TRANSPONDER CODE PRIOR TO DEPARTURE AND AT ALL TIMES WITHIN THE TFR. IN THE EVENT OF A TRANSPONDER FAILURE, THE PILOT SHALL ADVISE ATC AND ATC WILL PROVIDE THE MOST DIRECT COURSE TO EXIT THE LATERAL LIMITS OF THE TFR. 3. ALL AIRCRAFT MUST REMAIN IN TWO-WAY RADIO COMMUNICATIONS WITH ATC."

Notice that point 1 says active and IFR or VFR flight plan. There's nothing there about any requirement for a "special" VFR flight plan. I once assumed the requirement for an active flight plan was so the PICs name address and phone number were on file for the flight but it's entirely possible that whoever made this a requirement had no idea of the differences between those types of flight plans. Also AFaIK, the requirement for a "special" VFR flight plan in the SFAR/ADIZ were solely due to ATC's need for some way to anticipate the need for all those discrete codes.

Sounds like a real mess. I am glad I don't live and fly there..

Sounds like a real mess. I am glad I don't live and fly there..

You can run into the same mess wherever the president travels. I ran afoul of a similar CF the first time George Dubbya visited the Minneapolis area in (I think) the summer of 2002. I was scheduled to fly an Angel Flight mission and knowing about the TFR and it's potential effect on my flight I prepared to depart an hour before the TFR was to take effect. The TFR specified a "no fly zone" in a 10 nm circle centered on the MSP VOR which is about 12 nm from my airport (FCM) so it seemed plausible that even when the TFR was activated two hours earlier than the NOTAM said it would, I would be allowed to leave on my previously filed IFR flight plan while squawking a discrete code. The fact that I was headed almost directly away from MSP also seemed to be in my favor. When I checked in with FCM ground and got my IFR and taxi clearance I figured it was going to work out but when I called for takeoff clearance I was told to wait as the tower hadn't gotten my departure clearance yet. And of course, while I waited (patiently at first) the TFR went active and the tower eventually told me that the MSP TRACON wouldn't release me for departure. I begged and cajoled but the answer kept coming back the same, hold short awaiting release, EFC indefinite. The TFR was scheduled to lift in about 3 hours so I ended up taxiing back and going to lunch.

The story I eventually got was that since part of FCM's Class D airspace was inside the inner circle of the TFR, approach control couldn't authorize a departure. But the next time I was faced with the same scenario, I was assured by the TRACON supervisor that I would be allowed to depart and in fact did make it out without delay. I never did learn exactly why I wasn't allowed to depart during the ten minutes I sat waiting and ready before the TFR went active but at one point I was told "someone" felt that there was a chance that I wouldn't be able to fly clear of the Class D (remember my path was entirely outside the TFR no-fly zone) in the remaining time before TFR activation.

And "interestingly" on the most recent presidential TFR they decided to make the inner circle radius 11 nm and centered it on a point just far enough west (2 nm) of the MSP VOR to put the boundary right on top of both FCM and MIC in what would appear to be an attempt to inconvenience as many pilots as possible.

Someone please explain to me what a "discrete code" is? Is it a code that is not given over the air?

Someone please explain to me what a "discrete code" is? Is it a code that is not given over the air?
Nick, it is a code that only you are squawking. 1200 is not a discrete code as many other vfr planes have the same code. An IFR code is supposed to be unique to you for the duration of your flight.

-Skip

Last edited:
And "interestingly" on the most recent presidential TFR they decided to make the inner circle radius 11 nm and centered it on a point just far enough west (2 nm) of the MSP VOR to put the boundary right on top of both FCM and MIC in what would appear to be an attempt to inconvenience as many pilots as possible.

I've noticed that a LOT of the TFRs have been expanded to 11 miles no-fly. Wonder if that's the new default?

All the VIP TFRs I've seen contain this language:

"1. ALL AIRCRAFT SHALL BE ON AN ACTIVE IFR OR VFR FLIGHT PLAN. 2. ALL AIRCRAFT SHALL SQUAWK A DISCRETE TRANSPONDER CODE ASSIGNED BY ATC. ALL AIRCRAFT SHALL SQUAWK THE DISCRETE TRANSPONDER CODE PRIOR TO DEPARTURE AND AT ALL TIMES WITHIN THE TFR. IN THE EVENT OF A TRANSPONDER FAILURE, THE PILOT SHALL ADVISE ATC AND ATC WILL PROVIDE THE MOST DIRECT COURSE TO EXIT THE LATERAL LIMITS OF THE TFR. 3. ALL AIRCRAFT MUST REMAIN IN TWO-WAY RADIO COMMUNICATIONS WITH ATC."

I've compared this language to the copy of the Notam I printed out. It is identical.

-Skip

That's interesting, I never made that connection, but it's a "discrete code", in that it is assigned specifically to an individual, and not a "discreet code", which I suppose might be a code that ATC whispers in your ear, instead of blabbing about it to everybody.

"Discrete code" just means that it's one that ATC specifically assigned to you to use right now. So 1200, 7500, etc, these are not discrete codes, but if ATC says to you "squawk 4213", that's a discrete code, it was reserved to be assigned to you.
-harry

That's interesting, I never made that connection, but it's a "discrete code", in that it is assigned specifically to an individual, and not a "discreet code", which I suppose might be a code that ATC whispers in your ear, instead of blabbing about it to everybody.
Gotta love all those words with multiple and relatively unrelated meanings. Interestingly, Merriam Webster (online) doesn't even mention the meaning I associate with the phrase "Be discrete about..." but definition #1 is clearly the one that applies to a squawk code:

Discrete
1 : constituting a separate entity : individually distinct <several discrete sections>
2 a : consisting of distinct or unconnected elements : noncontinuous
b : taking on or having a finite or countably infinite number of values <discrete probabilities> <a discrete random variable>

"Discrete code" just means that it's one that ATC specifically assigned to you to use right now. So 1200, 7500, etc, these are not discrete codes, but if ATC says to you "squawk 4213", that's a discrete code, it was reserved to be assigned to you.

-harry
More specifically, its a code that ATC has assigned uniquely assigned to your airplane (at least in your area). If ATC tells you to "squawk 1200" that doesn't make it a "discrete code".

Back