TFR blocks VFR corridor. How to stop?

mike d

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Mike d
Is there anyway to stop or at least complain about a reoccurring TFR?

The issue is Minuit Made Stadium has a TFR for any little thing. There is one for baseball training. I generally don't care about TFR's as I just fly around them. But this one blocks the VFR corridor between IAH and HOU. It is a long way around without that corridor.

I fly through the corridor all the time, but have yet to do so while a stadium TFR was active.

Are you sure ATC won't let you through if you're talking to them?

How big is the TFR? 3000ft is easy enough to go up and over.

Not when the TFR overlaps Class B that starts at 2000. It's nearly impossible to get cleared into the B around there due to the landing patterns at HOU and IAH.

What Jim said. Get flight following through the corridor. Easy peasy.

So flight following allows you to fly through a stadium TFR?

What other kinds TFRs?

There is one for baseball training.
Really? Training? Not a game?

Is this in the system?

Doesn't appear to be covered under the stadium TFR
ANY STADIUM HAVING A SEATING CAPACITY OF 30,000 OR MORE PEOPLE WHERE EITHER A REGULAR OR POST SEASON MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL, NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE, OR NCAA DIVISION ONE FOOTBALL GAME IS OCCURRING. THIS NOTAM ALSO APPLIES TO NASCAR SPRINT CUP, INDY CAR, AND CHAMP SERIES RACES EXCLUDING QUALIFYING AND PRE-RACE EVENTS

What other kinds TFRs?

Read the TFRs, most of them as long as you're on with ATC you can fly through. They put me straight over Disney every time I fly up to see my dad.

THE RESTRICTIONS DESCRIBED ABOVE DO NOT APPLY TO THOSE AIRCRAFT AUTHORIZED BY AND IN CONTACT WITH ATC FOR OPERATIONAL OR SAFETY OF FLIGHT PURPOSES,

I would ask if you are "authorized" before blowing through the TFR.

What other kinds TFRs?

Not merely FF, but specific ATC approval for the airspace.

FDC NOTAM 4/3621 said:
THE RESTRICTIONS DESCRIBED ABOVE DO NOT APPLY TO THOSE AIRCRAFT AUTHORIZED BY AND IN CONTACT WITH ATC FOR OPERATIONAL OR SAFETY OF FLIGHT PURPOSES, DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE, LAW ENFORCEMENT, AND AIR AMBULANCE FLIGHT OPERATIONS.

The practical difficulty might be getting FF through the area, or ATC approval, if TRACON is preoccupied with the class B. They created those VFR cutouts and flyways specifically so ATC wouldn't have to deal with those aircraft.

ETA: Looks like I lost the TFR race. :lol: I will say that you might consider being a bit more cagey that specifically asking to blow through the TFR. Just ask for authorization to transit a specific route at a specific altitude. If you get "approved as requested" and that route/altitude combo necessarily penetrates the TFR, you're good to go.

Last edited:
Is there anyway to stop or at least complain about a reoccurring TFR?

The issue is Minuit Made Stadium has a TFR for any little thing. There is one for baseball training. I generally don't care about TFR's as I just fly around them. But this one blocks the VFR corridor between IAH and HOU. It is a long way around without that corridor.
What makes you think there's a TFR for training?

Oops. My mistake. It is a game.
The "spring training" through me off.

Event: Spring Training: Kansas City Royals at Houston Astros
Venue: Minute Maid Park
Event type: Major League Baseball
Start Time: Apr 04 15:05 CDT
Event end times are estimated. Check the event schedule for the latest information.

Can't vouch for this class B, but a lot of places will gladly deal with FF for you as long as you stay out of the class B.

Oops. My mistake. It is a game.
The "spring training" through me off.

Event: Spring Training: Kansas City Royals at Houston Astros
Venue: Minute Maid Park
Event type: Major League Baseball
Start Time: Apr 04 15:05 CDT
Event end times are estimated. Check the event schedule for the latest information.
Yeah -- once MLB teams complete their spring training activities down in FL/AZ, they play their last spring training game or two in their home stadiums a few days before the regular season starts, mostly to get the stadium personnel (ushers, vendors, security, etc) back up to speed after the long winter off. Kind of a test drive/warm-up of the stadium before the regular season starts.

However, since it's not a "regular or postseason game", there should be no TFR, although the system showing the TFR's on ForeFlight and the like probably can't tell the difference. Best to use this as a warm-up for you and ATC to get used to getting the ATC authorization which will become necessary starting Monday (or Sunday night if you're flying around Chicago).

I don't think regular season games start until Monday in most places.

Back