Texas

Actually got a negative paycheck once.

Isn't aviation for a living great.?? I have received a negative paycheck once. Only once. :lol::lol:

I'll take sweat over frostbite and hypothermia any day of the week.

I have never passed out from being cold....:lol::lol:

One thing I miss about Texas is the friendliness. Even when I go back to where I grew up, I can't pull over on the side of the road to pee without several people pulling over and asking if I need a hand. Just go anywhere in Texas and ask a stranger a question and if that person can't answer they will find someone that can. I miss that. And the pretty girls. I grew up next to A&M and met more than my share of pretty Texas girls.

I
One thing I miss about Texas is the friendliness. Even when I go back to where I grew up, I can't pull over on the side of the road to pee without several people pulling over and asking if I need a hand. Just go anywhere in Texas and ask a stranger a question and if that person can't answer they will find someone that can. I miss that. And the pretty girls. I grew up next to A&M and met more than my share of pretty Texas girls.

I haven't found my new town particularly friendly to be honest. But the rest of Texas I've been to, yeah I concur with your statement regarding friendliness. I will say, when in uniform, this place treats you like royalty. Extremely courteous to uniformed military personnel.

You can only fly airplanes like Ercoupes that have yaw and roll controls coupled together. People in Texas can’t say those two words separately...they always say ya’ll.

Moved to TX decades ago from the Pacific Northwest, love it here. I've lived in the Houston area for most of that time, on the far West side and now the far North. Took me a long time to get used to the flat. Flying is great, lots of places to go. Friendliest people ever. Yes it's hot and humid in the summers and the traffic is bad. Can't beat the ice cream (Blue Bell-YUM!). Don't much care for Austin, lived there for awhile. San Antonio has some nice areas.

Moved to TX decades ago from the Pacific Northwest, love it here. I've lived in the Houston area for most of that time, on the far West side and now the far North. Took me a long time to get used to the flat. Flying is great, lots of places to go. Friendliest people ever. Yes it's hot and humid in the summers and the traffic is bad. Can't beat the ice cream (Blue Bell-YUM!). Don't much care for Austin, lived there for awhile. San Antonio has some nice areas.
Whoa, whoa, whoa. You are going to put Blue Bell above Tillamook ice cream? I just can't....

Oh yeah! Blue Bell es No Ka'oi! Tillamook does have the best cheese though.:)

Thanks for thoughtful replies but it's not in the cards right now. Overqualified for the job but was willing to sacrifice to get into an aviation related company. Oh well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks for thoughtful replies but it's not in the cards right now. Overqualified for the job but was willing to sacrifice to get into an aviation related company. Oh well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I know the feeling. Maybe next time.

It's hot. Hot hot hot. RIght now, at 6:30 PM in damn near September, it's 93 degrees. Ugh. But at least it's a sticky, super wet heat that will lead to sweating not doing anything for you because not much will evaporate.

Up in the north, it gets cold a few months of the year, and you put more clothes on. In Texas, it gets stupid hot most of the year, but if you try to compensate with your clothing level, you get arrested.

My impression of Houston is that it's very un-planned. No zoning - So it kind of reminds me of a city that was cut into individual lots with buildings attached, put in a big ball and shaken up and just dumped out. My sister used to live in an apartment where if you looked across the street, there was a house that had a restaurant as one neighbor and a gas station on the other side.

But at least the traffic is terrible.

On the other hand, they have brisket tacos and cheap 100LL, so it's pretty much a wash. Just be sure your plane has an excellent climb rate to get up out of the heat and humidity.

97 in San Antonio right now 6:45 with a nice breeze. Pool is 90, again, a pool in Texas was the only way my wife got me to stay. I’m from New England, but, don’t miss the snow at all. Yet, it snowed in December right before Christmas. It was great fun, and melted by the morning. Just enough to make a snow ⛄

97 in San Antonio right now 6:45 with a nice breeze. Pool is 90, again, a pool in Texas was the only way my wife got me to stay. I’m from New England, but, don’t miss the snow at all. Yet, it snowed in December right before Christmas. It was great fun, and melted by the morning. Just enough to make a snow ⛄

I'm south of you and have no pool but I have good air conditioning. It was 102 today and 22% humidity when I walked to the mailbox in full sun. Didn't bother me a bit, I love it. But 85 back east in the shade I cannot handle. Of course I have to drink a lot of water and I love to come back inside from that oven to my 75 degree house, feels so good.

I haven't found my new town particularly friendly to be honest. But the rest of Texas I've been to, yeah I concur with your statement regarding friendliness. I will say, when in uniform, this place treats you like royalty. Extremely courteous to uniformed military personnel.

I would say that in general, that is true, but my experience with Killeen cops was that they hated GI's. There was some traffic issue, cop points for me to go one way, I go that way, then he stops me and tickets me for disobeying a traffic control officer (WTF?). The judge on the other hand was very courteous and professional, recognizing that California gives an automatic extension to an expired license for military personnel located out of state without me having to bring it up. Didn't get out of the ticket though.

I would say that in general, that is true, but my experience with Killeen cops was that they hated GI's

Did you go through Nolanville at 5 MPH over the posted speed limit.?? At one time the state came in and instantly fired every LEO in Nolanville from dog catcher to the chief. The Bell County Sheriffs Department had to take over for a while.

I would say that in general, that is true, but my experience with Killeen cops was that they hated GI's.

I used to repo cars for a living. When going into Ft. Hood, I would meet the Liason Officer and tell him the car I was after. He would call the soldier and tell them to bring me the car. It was about as simple as a repo could get for the most part.

When I would go in there, he always had 3 or 4 soldiers handcuffed to a bench. I asked him what was going on. He said you have to remember most of these guys are young. They get a break, they go into town, they get drunk and raise hell. When the Killeen Police try to pull them over, they run back onto base. They simply put out a warrant for the soldier and when they're being dismissed from the Army, we do a warrant check, call the police and hand them over.

...They simply put out a warrant for the soldier and when they're being dismissed from the Army, we do a warrant check, call the police and hand them over.

From 2010-2013, there was a semi-annual III Corps and Ft Hood Warrant Roundup.

TX law enforcement agencies would provide outstanding warrants for soldiers assigned to the post. Major unit leaders would be tasked to have the soldiers report to a location like the gym or theater, where the warrants would be executed.

Usually a couple hundred names on that list. Everything from unpaid parking tickets to murder to interstate drug trafficking.

Back