Texas Taildraggers

gibbons

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iRide
A local pilot recently purchased a 1972 C172 converted to a taildragger. It has a 180 HP Lycoming and a three blade prop. He hired me to fly it back to his home airport and to give him instruction in it. I flew it back for him yesterday.

Tom and Diana have given me some excellent feedback on the Texas Taildragger C150 they used to own and I'm interested in any other input from those of you who have owned/flown these airplanes. If you know of any good web resources or articles on these airplanes, or if you have direct experience, please forward them on.

Chip

Chris,

Thanks for the link. I wish the airplane in question was a C170, but it's a field modified C172 to make it a tail dragger. If they do have forum on the Texas Taildragger I missed it.

Chip

I found the converted 172, to be a little peppier than the standard 170, but lacked a little rudder authourity when in the 3 point position. other than that, really little if any differance.

backcountrypilot.org has several pilots who own converted 172's (I like to think of them as "rescued" :D ) Register and start a thread!

alaskaflyer said:
backcountrypilot.org has several pilots who own converted 172's (I like to think of them as "rescued" :D ) Register and start a thread!
Thanks Richard, I'll do that.

Chip

gibbons said:
Chris,

Thanks for the link. I wish the airplane in question was a C170, but it's a field modified C172 to make it a tail dragger. If they do have forum on the Texas Taildragger I missed it.

Chip

I figured they would be at least CLOSE to a taildragger 172. I know they have a few 180hp 170 conversion threads.

Good luck with the research. That sounds like it would be a really cool plane. One thing I don't like about the 170 is that it seems a little anemic in the power department. Even a few of the 'seasoned' 170 drivers I talked to seemed to agree that a few extra horses under the cowl would be nice.

-Chris

Back