Texas POA fly-in?

RyanShort1

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
RyanShort1
Ok, So I see this stuff for Gastons, and wherever else some of y'all go for fly-ins. Do any POA'rs do a particular Texas fly-in?

Ryan

The colorado pilots association often has a trip to Amarillo each summer. Does that count?

I know at least two Texas pilots who would go - perhaps three. You should organize a fly-in.

If it is near a major airport even people from far away places might come, via commercial airliner.

Kimberly

If it is near a major airport even people from far away places might come, via commercial airliner.

Hmmm, being near a major airport didn't seem to be a factor at one particular fly-in...

I recall Spike suggesting an airport that was similar to Gastons a few years ago...can't remember which it was. Y'all should do it

Well, I know that the Alamo Liaison Squadron, of which I am a member, will likely be holding our annual fly-in on April 14, 2012 here in San Antonio, but I'm not sure that's the kind of event y'all have at the other POA fly-ins.

Ryan

Well, I know that the Alamo Liaison Squadron, of which I am a member, will likely be holding our annual fly-in on April 14, 2012 here in San Antonio, but I'm not sure that's the kind of event y'all have at the other POA fly-ins.

Ryan

You know, the nice thing about flyin's is that they can be what ever you want them to be.
Most of the ones that make the "Days remaining" list are weekend things, but there are a lot of impromptu "let's get together for lunch" things, too.

Barb

I'm in.
I recall Spike suggesting an airport that was similar to Gastons a few years ago...can't remember which it was. Y'all should do it
Was it Lake Texoma? (not technically in Tx, I think)

There was an apparently big fly-in at Elm Creek this weekend that got me to thinking about the idea. I was hearing them all day and couldn't go...

Ryan

I guess West Texas is too far? The Grumman group had a fly in here just a couple of weekends ago. The ramp was FULL.... they stayed at Indian Lodge and went to the observatory and around. They were mostly from towns in Texas

I guess West Texas is too far? The Grumman group had a fly in here just a couple of weekends ago. The ramp was FULL.... they stayed at Indian Lodge and went to the observatory and around. They were mostly from towns in Texas
Yeah, I think that's too far to go with most students... though if I had a student that wanted to go that far, I would think they were wise.

Ryan

I believe I had once suggested Cedar Mills ( 3T0 ) http://www.airnav.com/airport/3T0 , which is indeed on the Texas side of Lake Texoma. Nice place.

All depends upon what you want; Cedar Mills is a great grass strip. There are other places (like Fredericksburg) which have appeal for other reasons.

I believe I had once suggested Cedar Mills ( 3T0 ) http://www.airnav.com/airport/3T0 , which is indeed on the Texas side of Lake Texoma. Nice place.

All depends upon what you want; Cedar Mills is a great grass strip. There are other places (like Fredericksburg) which have appeal for other reasons.
I love Cedar Mills. :yes:

If you all schedule a fly-in there, I'll try to make it down. :yes:

For old-times sake, here are a few threads (with photos and videos) about one of our fly-ins at Cedar Mills . :)

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25552

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25594

Clark, that was under VERY SPECIAL circumstances which unfortunately cannot be repeated.

Nonsense, fly into Denver with boyfriend. We load up in the Frankenkota and depart for TX (it's big, no way to miss it so no planning needed). I'll take-off then hand over the plane to you while I take a nice long nap. Your boyfriend can sit in the back and scream during the scary moments...like when one tank runs dry 'cause I'm napping and can't be bothered to switch tanks. The screaming may rouse me from my slumber so I'll switch off the avionics master so you'll get to land the plane with no radio and no functioning noisemaker. There are plenty of airports in Texas so I'm sure you'll be able to find one in time. Might I suggest a rather high cruise altitude? Won't that be fun!

Don't forget Walt's place - T14 (near Quinlan, TX). Ryan, he is the right sort of airport owner to assist in something like your thinking of.

There are so many great places to hold fly-ins in Texas....

Mustang Beach (and stay at a certain hotel)
Fredericksburg - Hangar Hotel
Galveston for the museum (hotel in walking distance)
Hobby for the museum
Terlingua Ranch

to name a few. San Antonio (Stinson) is always great, esp. for a visit into the city.

Don't forget Walt's place - T14 (near Quinlan, TX). Ryan, he is the right sort of airport owner to assist in something like your thinking of.

Man, that's an idear...

There are so many great places to hold fly-ins in Texas....

Mustang Beach (and stay at a certain hotel)
Fredericksburg - Hangar Hotel
Galveston for the museum (hotel in walking distance)
Hobby for the museum
Terlingua Ranch

to name a few. San Antonio (Stinson) is always great, esp. for a visit into the city.

Texas loves its airplanes...

If there is any interest, Ryan, we would be honored to organize a POA fly-in to Mustang Beach this winter.

Now that's it's not 90+ degrees all the time, it is perfect flying weather on the coast. We're about to FINALLY change the name of the inn to "Amelia's Landing", so it seems like a perfect excuse for a party!

I'd sure like goin back there.... Then again, anywhere in Texas that involves the beach sounds good to me

Wow, time still flies, don't it?

Cedar Mills is tough to beat as an all-around spot. Nice grass strip on the lake that will accommodate almost any GA craft, rental cabins, campsites, meeting rooms, restaurant, marina and petting zoo on the property and cheap fuel within 10 minutes in almost any direction. The gumbo isn't as good as Walt's, but the chow at the restaurant is plenty good, with big breakfast buffet on the weekends.

I love Cedar Mills. :yes:

If you all schedule a fly-in there, I'll try to make it down. :yes:

For old-times sake, here are a few threads (with photos and videos) about one of our fly-ins at Cedar Mills . :)

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25552

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25594

Wow, time still flies, don't it?

Cedar Mills is tough to beat as an all-around spot. Nice grass strip on the lake that will accommodate almost any GA craft, rental cabins, campsites, meeting rooms, restaurant, marina and petting zoo on the property and cheap fuel within 10 minutes in almost any direction. The gumbo isn't as good as Walt's, but the chow at the restaurant is plenty good, with big breakfast buffet on the weekends.

Jeez, Texas is big. I never even heard of the place -- but a Google search has put Cedar Mills on our summer to-visit list.

Ain't going there between now and next March, though. According to their weather almanac, they get real winter up there, with hard freezes, snow, and everything! :yikes:

November is typically beautiful. December is mixed. January is no fun. Neither are July and August.

Jeez, Texas is big. I never even heard of the place -- but a Google search has put Cedar Mills on our summer to-visit list.

Ain't going there between now and next March, though. According to their weather almanac, they get real winter up there, with hard freezes, snow, and everything! :yikes:

Cedar Mills is tough to beat as an all-around spot. Nice grass strip on the lake that will accommodate almost any GA craft, rental cabins, campsites, meeting rooms, restaurant, marina and petting zoo on the property and cheap fuel within 10 minutes in almost any direction.
Isn't Cedar Mills the home base of Armadillo Aerospace? I wonder if they would accomodate a tour for some small fee.

Hmmm. Cedar Mills does look nice and Jay's place looks decent, too. I think I could borrow a Diamond to go either place. I'd rather take a Cub, but I don't know about a 5.5 hour flight with fuel stops, too if I didn't have a headwind.

Ryan

Nonsense, fly into Denver with boyfriend. We load up in the Frankenkota and depart for TX (it's big, no way to miss it so no planning needed). I'll take-off then hand over the plane to you while I take a nice long nap. Your boyfriend can sit in the back and scream during the scary moments...like when one tank runs dry 'cause I'm napping and can't be bothered to switch tanks. The screaming may rouse me from my slumber so I'll switch off the avionics master so you'll get to land the plane with no radio and no functioning noisemaker. There are plenty of airports in Texas so I'm sure you'll be able to find one in time. Might I suggest a rather high cruise altitude? Won't that be fun!

Um, I don't know if he will be game for this little adventure of yours but I sure will. If the ticket to Denver is cheap enough I can go whenever. Mari says she has flown with you, so that is good enough for me. Plus, I almost flew with you at 6Y9.

Isn't Cedar Mills the home base of Armadillo Aerospace? I wonder if they would accomodate a tour for some small fee.
Close.... Caddo Mills (7F3) is where Amadillo Aerospace is. Bower is talking about 3T0. And he's right on about the quality of the place and the food.

Caddo Mills & Amadillo Aerospace has a special place in my heart. For the following reason: (Kimberly and Doc will like this)

On my night XC training flight, route of flight was Denton (KDTO) > Aero Country (T31) > Collin County (KTKI) > KGVT and then reverse on the way back.

On the way, my CFI was quizing me about various night flying topics and explaining that if desired, you can always navigate by picking out the beacons and using them as landmarks. Just after crossing KTKI the following conversation started
"Speaking of beacons, what indicates a lighted airport," he asks.

Me: "Alternating white and green."

CFI: "Correct. And if it's a military installation?"

Me: "White, White, then Green."

CFI: "Correct again. What does Green, Yellow, and White mean?"

Me: "A lighted heliport. But I got a question for you, how about White-White-Red?"

CFI: "Huh? Whatcha mean White-White-Red? Where in your books did you read that?"

Me: "I didn't. But if you look about my 1 o'clock-ish, about where Caddo Mills should be, there is White-White-Red..."

CFI finally spots it. Watches it for two cycles. Finally,

CFI: "I don't know. Never seen it, but that is where Caddo Mills is. We'll have to check into that when we get..."

FWOOOOOM!!!!! A 200 ft. fireball fireball erupts!!!

CFI: "WHAT DA FU--!!!! MY AIRPLANE!!!" And puts into a hard left bank.

CFI: (very excited voice, he mashes the PTT) "Fort Worth Center, Diamond niner-six-niner-papa-alpha, we are a bit past Collin County and we may have just seen a terrorist attack!" (No fooling, that's exactly what he said) "You might need to alert the authorities and get some emergency equipment rolling toward Caddo Mills.

Center: "Diamond niner-six-niner-papa-alpha, say again your location?"

CFI: "Diamond niner-pappa-alpha is just east of Collin County, 5500 feet, and we're making a tight left turn to avoid the explosion area we just saw! We just witnessed a 200-foot fireball!!.

Center: (Now we hear a bit more excitement in the controller's voice) "Ah, okay, Diamond niner-pappa-alpha, squawk __ __ __ __ and ident."

CFI Inputs the code and idents.

Center: "Diamond niner-pappa-alpha, radar contact. Confirm you're near Caddo Mills."

CFI: "Affirmative, Center, Diamond niner-pappa-alpha is about 20-25 northwest of Caddo Mills".

Center: "Okay. Stand by one."

Short wait...

Center: "Diamond niner-pappa-alpha, Fort Worth Center. I checked in with my supervisor and I think we got it figured out. Armadillo Aerospace is located at Caddo Mills. We had a notice that they were doing some testing of their rocket engines this week. I think what you saw was one of the more spectacular failures. We'll call them and make sure no one got singed."

CFI: "Thank you center. And when you speak to them, please advise they owe me a new pair of shorts. Niner-Pappa-Alpha."

Center: (laughing) "Understood, Niner-Pappa-Alpha. Will pass the message."

CFI to me: "Okay, your airplane. Now let's see if we can proceed to Greenville without any more scary incidents..."
It's a fun entry in the logbook. The DPE, when scanning my log book, fixed upon the entry of "EXPLOSION" and asked us both about the story.

Last edited:
Back