Texas Parasol?

Link here:
http://home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb/parasol.htm

Any thoughts about this from our experts?

To my very unexperienced eyes, looks like it could be fun...

There are some that claim there are problems with the plans along with some structural issues.

But there are also quite a few flying - though at least some of were not built to the above plans.

As I understand it. YMMV. Not an official spokesperson. etc.:dunno:

You might want to search over on rec.aviation.homebuilt.

Thanks for the links- homebuiltairplanes.com looks very helpful. Spammers have pretty much ruined newsgroups.

The two major issues mentioned were the double rivets on the fuselage (one rivet becomes a pivot point to shear the other). There was also distrust of the "ladder wing". I understand the rivet concern...but not the "ladder wing" design issue.

Some of the documentation has this comment:
The airfoil pattern has been shortened by about ¾” to make it easier to cut compression ribs with a hole saw. Getting the pilot drill on solid metal sure makes better cuts.

As a result, there will be some disagreements between this airfoil drawing and the rest of the plans. So for best results, study carefully and make your parts to fit YOUR airplane. And drop me a line if you find any serious boners, ok?

Seems like the plans should have been updated...

Link here:
http://home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb/parasol.htm

Any thoughts about this from our experts?

To my very unexperienced eyes, looks like it could be fun...

It looks like an alunimum Fisher FP505...
If you'de rather do a wood bird with a longer Petigree:

http://www.fisherflying.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=34&Itemid=22

I've flown several Fisher designed products and, though I subscribe to the tenant of : "Friends don't let friends fly two-strokes" I thought they were really (REALLY) fun to fly!:fingerwag:.

With a "designer" of such aircraft you pays your money and takes your chance...

Fisher and Rans have been doing this for quite a while.

JMPO
Chris

Chris-

It does look like an FP505. The 2-stroke engines seemingly used by most of these planes does concern me too. I'm not really trusting of the 1/2 VW engines either...or other automotive engine conversions.

Chris-

It does look like an FP505. The 2-stroke engines seemingly used by most of these planes does concern me too. I'm not really trusting of the 1/2 VW engines either...or other automotive engine conversions.

I've actually built a 1/2 Vee Wee motor and LOVED the silly thing...it sounded weird but damn it ran good! Hand propping was not for the timid due to the timing and the lack of cylinders...when the first one fired you knew it! There is no "fluff, fluff, fluff like a 4 clyinder does 'for it breaks into all cylinders firing...

I've often wondered why soneone doesn't market a good 20-30 horsepressure 4-cylinder motor for UL/FUL's...

When I was party to building 3 Michell B-10 Ultralights ( 2 Cyuhuna and 1 Kawasaki motor) we always joked about the 2 or 4 engined B-10.

Good Luck on your search!

Chris (a steam gauge guy in a glass panel world...)

Back