Texas "Leaf Peeping" and Dang-good BBQ

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
Today we flew down to Stephenville, TX on the recommendation of a friend and the writeups on dfwpilots.com. There is a great BBQ place just off the airport grounds called the Hard Eight BBQ (so named for a ranch called the Hard Eight, which bred championship rodeo bulls--and the "hard eight" seconds that a rider must stay on a bull during a rodeo). The place is so popular with pilots that the restaurant keeps complimentary golf carts at the airport and has "blazed a path" over to the BBQ place.

My wife and I rented a Cessna 172 from Fort Worth Meacham Field and took off at 2:30 pm, arriving at Stephenville just after 3:00pm. She even flew the plane for about 5 minutes!! She did great. Some dear friends of ours, and one of their boys, also flew down in their rented Cessna 172 from NW Regional, arriving just a couple minutes after we did.

I've never used an air-to-air frequency, but we consulted the AIM (4-1-11) and agreed to monitor 122.75, as "BBQ ONE" and "BBQ TWO". It was great to keep in touch on the way as to who was where, etc.

After getting our fill, we got back in line and bought more to bring home to the family. We were back at Meacham right at sunset, about 5:30 pm.

A great trip, and we plan to do it again!! Here's some of the pictures we'd like to share:

http://www.whistman.com/whistman/2005-12-04-KFTW-KSEP/

Troy & Teresa

Troy, the Hard 8 owner is a Bonanza pilot. When I first flew there, it was new, and the office upstairs was reserved for the Owner- and pilots! Had flight-planning space and a couple of nice lounge cahirs. Dunno if it's still like that, but I would not be surprised. Nice place, isn't it?

Troy:

We must have just missed you. Several of us flew in about 12:45 and left about 1:30 or so. Sorry we didn't see you. It was just a little chilly out on the patio yesterday!!

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:
Troy:

We must have just missed you. Several of us flew in about 12:45 and left about 1:30 or so. Sorry we didn't see you. It was just a little chilly out on the patio yesterday!!

Dave

Ah, ME TOO! That would have been fun to see you guys! What are the odds?!

Back