Texas Hospitality

Lance F

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Lance F
I want to publicly thank Dave Siciliano, Troy Whistman and Spike Cutler for the great Texas hospitality I was afforded last Tuesday evening. After a pretty long day I met these gentlemen at Dave's Addison hanger and had a terrific evening. Pictures can be seen in this thread http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12548
I got some stick time in a fantastic twin, totally overate some fine Texas barbeque and thoroughly enjoyed the company and conversation.

Thanks guys.

Please everyone, if you're coming to Atlanta and have a bit of time, let me reciprocate. This stuff is fun!

It was nice to spoil----uh see you Lance. Think the last time was Gaston's. You turned what would have been a pretty boring evening into a great time. We were glad you told us you'd be coming.

You did spoil the Baron a bit flying it so low some towers were above it <g> Had to take it to Colorado last weekend to shake the low off!!

Best,

Dave

It was great, Lance. Glad you made it home safely. Hope to see you in Atlanta next month...

I've got to try some Texas BBQ!

They don't let you "try" it. You must fill your plate to overflowing, add the no charge pinto beans and then stuff it ALL down your throat.

Dave,Lance,Troy....I'm a self confessed, lathered with sauce, smokin BRISKET, failed rehab bbqaolic, eating manic, you guys have made me beyond home sick....
Used to keep my plane at Lakeview North Dallas. Wife and I will get back down there once the kids suck us dry of all money and leave the house.....ha!.

Looked like a great trip. I usually get down to DAL,DFW or ADS with a quick drop of pax or DTO when we bring the plane in for maint at Jet Works but never get to stay long.
Keep the adventures coming....but please include bbq...mmmm...bbq.:goofy:

Ya know, this might be a great place for a flyin sometime! EAA has had several. Facilities are reasonable. I wouldn't recommend July or August, but maybe some of y'all would like to come out this-a-way and link up. There is transportation from the airport.

Let me know. I could frequent that place more often and would really enjoy linking up anytime I'm around. I'm sure Spike, Troy and a few other local folks would be willing to come out.

Best,

Dave

Used to keep my plane at Lakeview North Dallas. Wife and I will get back down there once the kids suck us dry of all money and leave the house.....ha!.

Did you know a guy named Bill Phippen at Lakeview? He was my first CFI. Hell of a guy.. I sure miss him.

Ya know, this might be a great place for a flyin sometime! EAA has had several. Facilities are reasonable. I wouldn't recommend July or August, but maybe some of y'all would like to come out this-a-way and link up. There is transportation from the airport.

Mmmmm, BBQ. *drool*

Just as long as we don't have to buy fuel at ADS... I hear you guys are paying $5.89/gal! :hairraise:

Maybe that should be the first PoA fly-in of the year. Jan or Feb when everything is cold and crappy up here. We'd certainly welcome the opportunity to soak up some warmth!

I should add that I also had a most excellent time visiting with Dave, Spike, and Troy back in January. :yes:

Last edited:
Maybe that should be the first PoA fly-in of the year. Jan or Feb when everything is cold and crappy up here. We'd certainly welcome the opportunity to soak up some warmth!

that sounds like a good idea

We get cold here in January, too. Of course, I assume that's all relative--our cold is probably warm to you!! :)

"Warm" is where you can stand outside in jeans and a t-shirt for the length of the BBQ gathering and not need any limbs amputated afterwards. :goofy:

"Warm" is where you can stand outside in jeans and a t-shirt for the length of the BBQ gathering and not need any limbs amputated afterwards. :goofy:

Climate summary for Stephenville (BBQ place):

http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/golf/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/USTX1301?from=search

Check "on" the record high and low checkboxes, too.

Record high, January, 86F, record low -2F.
Average high, January, 55F. Low, 30F.

As long as we have the BBQ in the afternoon, you should be able to do it without shivering, or amputating limbs.

Troy - I have to get out there!

I have only had one Texas expieriance, and it was bad thanks to Continental Airlines.

Did you know a guy named Bill Phippen at Lakeview? He was my first CFI. Hell of a guy.. I sure miss him.

Lisa, I sure did know Bill. He was my primary instructor and friend. I always felt I was the luckiest person in aviation to have had such an amazing instructor. I think of him often.... he was as good as they get. I miss him as well....sad.

Lakeview, Used to keep a cherokee 140 and then a Cessna 172 at the field. I do miss flying that cub for $36.00 an hour.....but then again that was when loran was cutting edge technology and a ndb approach was considered a precision approach....ha!

Lisa, I sure did know Bill. He was my primary instructor and friend. I always felt I was the luckiest person in aviation to have had such an amazing instructor. I think of him often.... he was as good as they get. I miss him as well....sad.

Lakeview, Used to keep a cherokee 140 and then a Cessna 172 at the field. I do miss flying that cub for $36.00 an hour.....but then again that was when loran was cutting edge technology and a ndb approach was considered a precision approach....ha!

Yep..I miss Bill and that Cub. I soloed in it, Bill videotaped it for me. I got a giggle when I got home that day and played it. My first landing was picture perfect, and on tape Bill says, "What a landing! What an instructor!" :D . Broke my heart when I found out he died. I check the N number on the cub every once in a while. It's still in the Dallas area.

finally hit Tshirt/Car window down temps today. woohoo.

Thats a great story!!. I remember one time I was doing T/Gs in the Cub and Bill happened to be at the airport. I put it in a hard slip but with all the wind and noise in the cockpit did not relized I had cracked the throttle open a bit. Least to say no matter what I did I could not get that thing to land so I went around and used all of my 43 hours of flight time trying to figure out what was wrong with the plane.....couldn't be me?
Well Bill calmly gets on the Unicom freq and says nice flyby but next time you might want to pull the power to idle it will land better that way...dugh!!! There was always an audience...fun times.

Take Care
Doug

Back