Texas Flight--This is What I got the Rating For

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
Awesome flight today from TKI-ASL-TKI. More details later. For now, suffice it to say, I couldn't have done it without the rating, and my passengers LOVED popping up above the cloudy, dreary weather into the bright, warm sunshine! I will try to upload video, if possible.

My wife now loves flying with me. I can't tell you how lucky I am in that way. She said that she felt like a superhero as we burst in and out of clouds near the tops. My brother merely felt it was just cool. He liked the technical aspects, and loved following along on the GPS and reading the data like time to a fix, airspeed, etc. He said next time he'd like to fly in a Bonanza, so Spike, I might take you up on that offer!

Last edited:
wangmyers said:
my passengers LOVED popping up above the cloudy, dreary weather into the bright, warm sunshine!
That's my favorite part. :yes:

Then there's seeing the runway at the end of the approach which is better than not seeing it. :rolleyes:

wangmyers said:
My wife now loves flying with me. ...

Outstanding. Sounds like a terrific time for everyone.

Ben, Is there any chance that your wife will take flying lessons now? :) Then maybe you guys can buy a plane.

Ben;

A great story. My wife loves that moment when the plane is just coming up to the tops. She loves to see all the rainbows as we climb up

John

Sound like a great trip Ben. My nieces enjoy going through the clouds a lot; not real bumpy ones though.

It's great when family is supportive, ain't it?

Dave

HPNFlyGirl said:
Ben, Is there any chance that your wife will take flying lessons now? :) Then maybe you guys can buy a plane.
I would love that. One step at a time for now, I guess.

Update for IFR users:

I did file direct, requesting no DPs or STARs. However, I got the HUBB5.GGG DP out of TKI. In the air, was directed to fly to CLARE, but I couldn't see that intersection immediately. I don't know why--I had studied the DP. I guess I was preoccupied with flying in the clouds. In any event, though, before I even got to join the first segment of the DP, I was cleared direct to the airport. Sweet.

On the return, I couldn't pick up my clearance on the ground, so I got it in the air. The cloud base was at 3,000, so I leveled at 2,000. Oh boy, was I busy. I was given a clearance: cleared TKI via direct GGG, DUMPY2 arrival GGG transition. This time I was prepared, though, and had the STAR out just in case. All of this was in the air, and I had to be on my game. In a way, it was easier because the whole route was spelled out for me both graphically and textually. Funny thing, although DUMPY wasn't until much later, I decided I wanted to find it now. I couldn't, but my wife saw it: "Isn't it that intersection right there?" I looked at her with utter amazement!

I did get some shortcuts on the way home. Sweet, again.

Ah, what a great trip!

Last edited:
Well Ben sounds like the training paid off. CONGRATS. Dave G

Hey, Ben, glad you enjoyed it. I think we have some darned fine controllers around here, and they nearly always gie you shortcuts if they can.

Shipoke said:
Well Ben sounds like the training paid off. CONGRATS. Dave G
It sure did. When I think back to all those times when I though of quitting, I just shake my head. For those of you who are struggling with the rating, I'd say, KEEP GOING!

SCCutler said:
Hey, Ben, glad you enjoyed it. I think we have some darned fine controllers around here, and they nearly always gie you shortcuts if they can.
I really do enjoy flying in Texas. I found out that Monarch at ADS now has a turbo, G1000 Stationair! They only need 5 hours of checkout in it. I don't know, though, when I'd have the time to do that.

Last edited:
Did you take those Peltor's with you?

wangmyers said:
Awesome flight today from TKI-ASL-TKI. More details later. For now, suffice it to say, I couldn't have done it without the rating, and my passengers LOVED popping up above the cloudy, dreary weather into the bright, warm sunshine! I will try to upload video, if possible.

My wife now loves flying with me. I can't tell you how lucky I am in that way. She said that she felt like a superhero as we burst in and out of clouds near the tops. My brother merely felt it was just cool. He liked the technical aspects, and loved following along on the GPS and reading the data like time to a fix, airspeed, etc. He said next time he'd like to fly in a Bonanza, so Spike, I might take you up on that offer!

mgkdrgn said:
Did you take those Peltor's with you?
Brett, don't hate me. I didn't take them because I didn't have a case for them, and I didn't want to risk damaging them. (The other headsets had a case.) I haven't flight tested them yet, but I did put them on again and test them against noise makers like the vacuum and bathroom fan. You know, I really, really like them. They are comfortable and really do a great job killing unwanted sound.

I need to return them to you! How shall I do that?

wangmyers said:

Punching through towards the sunset in thick, closely spaced IFR cloud tops between severe clear ravines has got to be one of the coolest highs in aviation. I've gotten altitude diviations cleared just to do it !

Glad you got to experience it while at the yoke !

You need to go flyin with them first ... then we can work out how you can return them, eh? ;-) I just sold my share in my Cherokee, so I don't need them like right away or anything (and I still have my ANR converted David Clarks).

wangmyers said:
Brett, don't hate me. I didn't take them because I didn't have a case for them, and I didn't want to risk damaging them. (The other headsets had a case.) I haven't flight tested them yet, but I did put them on again and test them against noise makers like the vacuum and bathroom fan. You know, I really, really like them. They are comfortable and really do a great job killing unwanted sound.

I need to return them to you! How shall I do that?

mgkdrgn said:
You need to go flyin with them first ... then we can work out how you can return them, eh? ;-) I just sold my share in my Cherokee, so I don't need them like right away or anything (and I still have my ANR converted David Clarks).
OK, thanks so much for your patience!

Besides, we live in the same town (and I know where you work!)... how hard could it possibly be to get them back when I want 'em? ;-) :goofy: :goofy:

wangmyers said:
OK, thanks so much for your patience!

mgkdrgn said:
Besides, we live in the same town (and I know where you work!)... how hard could it possibly be to get them back when I want 'em? ;-) :goofy: :goofy:
LOL--how true!

Back