Texas DPE rec's

Nortonious

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Nortonious
Howdy Gents,

I'm a new CFI via the recent Mil-Competency method (not to worry though, I actually had a fair amount of GA time prior to becoming a military IP). Anyway, my first student will be ready to take a checkride soon and as you might imagine I'm looking for DPE rec's. We're down in the SAT-area, but "Have Plane, Will Travel"

Thanks in advance.

Congratulations on getting your first student ready for the checkride! I'm a former T34 instructor and am considering becoming a CFI. Can you share your experiences using the "Mil-Competency"?

I did my commercial with a guy down in that part of the world. Good guy - flys his own Long-EZ. I'll have to look back in the old records to find his name.

Norm Steward (sp) in Dallas is top-notch, but a bit of a hike for you.

Just for humor's sake, I have to tell you I first read that as "Military Complacency."

:D

Norm Steward (sp) in Dallas is top-notch, but a bit of a hike for you.

It's Seward (no T), and I agree- he's a gent of the first class.

Congratulations on getting your first student ready for the checkride! I'm a former T34 instructor and am considering becoming a CFI. Can you share your experiences using the "Mil-Competency"?

Sure thing. I used Sheppard Air for the test-prep, piece of cake. The real work begins after you have the Instructor Ticket. I spent some time deciding on which syllabus. In fact, this forum helped me choose The Complete Pilot Text/Syllabus in large part due to Bob Gardner's presence here. After that, it's been basically just following the lesson plan (of course I spend a little time reading beforehand since it's my first time through and I did some viewing of a King Schools video of all the flying to polish my technique a bit).

I've got another CFI with a bit more time under his belt who will be doing a stage check for me to make sure I haven't taught my student to do something crazy like roll inverted and pull after takeoff. He's suggesting a DPE by the name of Pete Michaud in Brownwood...anybody got some reviews?

I've got another CFI with a bit more time under his belt who will be doing a stage check for me to make sure I haven't taught my student to do something crazy like roll inverted and pull after takeoff.
So you want this other instructor to make sure you taught them to roll inverted and PUSH. Right?

I've got another CFI with a bit more time under his belt who will be doing a stage check for me to make sure I haven't taught my student to do something crazy like roll inverted and pull after takeoff. He's suggesting a DPE by the name of Pete Michaud in Brownwood...anybody got some reviews?
Um, how to say this.
Word on the street is that it's a good place to take students. I also know that there's some strained feelings between him and some of the DPE's friends here in town.

Ryan

Last edited:
Well, if it's your first ride for a CFI you can't fly w/ a DPE right? It has to be an FAA examiner is my understanding.....

Back