Texas Crash -- Not Recent

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
In another thread Brian Austin noted:
"If you know you were the last person to fly it, you have to work double hard not to get lazy about checking things between flights - just cause they worked 10 flights ago doesn't mean they do now, and all that."

During my recent visit to the barber shop Leo was "tickling my ribs" about my a/c crash of last year. The Navy pilot in the chair told about his father in-law down in Texas. It seems that on the large acreage of the farm he had his own landing strip. So, one day the crew had left and he decided to go flying. He's the only flyer of his plane, y'hear?

He cranked up the engine, did the procedures(assumed), and took off. The engine sputtered during departure -- Oh, ****! -- and it came down, hard. He knew what the cause -- fuel starvation. Feeling rather foolish he went back to one of the barns, got a tractor, and towed and hid the plane behind one of the other large buildings. "Nobody will know."

As he went about his business in another building it wasn't long before there were flashing lights, police cars, fire apparatus, and rescue unit just outside; and he went out to inquire what was happening. He learned, quickly; the ELT was still chirping away.

HR

Back