Texas Barn Cub Resurrection

I do not appreciate the statement quoted. I departed to the west with a left head wind of no more than 15 knots at the time. After departing ground effect I realized a problem was developing. I glanced at fuel, carb heat, tach reading (only 2050) and mag switch. I began to plan for a 180 but initiated no turn as I realized I was too low. I am fully aware of the "death turn" and wanted no part of one. Straight ahead were trees. I picked the thinnest and shortest of the trees and aimed to climb over them. As I neared I knew there was no hope to top them. Looking back I know I was not climbing and may even been descending. I was too busy flying to get a final look at the tachometer. In the final seconds I made an abrupt turn, but no more than 20 degrees heading change, to land in a thicker batch of trees. The thicker trees I believe absorbed more energy before allowing the Cub to hit the ground. I DID NOT make the 180 turn back to the field as was stated so confidently above. I also never stalled. I once lost an engine on takeoff when I was 17. Fortunately that aircraft suffered no damage, and my point being I flew the Cub all the way to the end.

As far as recent flight time I had flown the Cub over 19 states and 5000 miles in last 60 days. It is disheartening enough to read the statements of those that were not present when I've already been notified the NTSB will likely call it pilot error due to density altitude. At departure time DA was calculated to be 2700. But I had flown the Cub recently in DA 3800 with a passenger. I also had it over the Blue Ridge Mtns at 7000 feet and flew in and out of Jackson County Airport (elev 3000) with same amount of luggage but twice as much fuel. I know something was not right other than density altitude on that final flight.

Sir, please gather all facts before discrediting the skills or decisions of other pilots in the future. I don't mind people discussing (in fact I want them to so lessons can be learned) what I did or did not do but please learn what those were first.

Thank you,

Jared

Thank you for posting your story.

Jared, I am sorry you feel offended - since my diatribe against turning back does not apply to you it should bother you less... I do apologize for your hurt feelings,..
After reading about the crash - and before I posted - I called a pilot I know in Dayton... He was under the impression you attempted to turn back (shrug)

I lost a classmate from high school when were in our 20's... He took flying lessons mostly because of me... He had carb ice on take off during a night flight... He turned back... He drilled it into the ground...

Given your statement about the tach reading 2050 I would question density altitude as being the cause...

denny-o

Jared:

Having read the whole exciting tale of the resto on DFWPilots, I was devastated to hear of the loss of the plane... and very happy to know you emerged in good (for the circumstances) condition.

Get back in the air, and who knows what else you can accomplish!

//s Spike

Back