Texas American Flight Academy

Merf

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Merf 45R
Anybody have experience with them? Dallas area(Addison). Thinking of doing their 10 day Instrument.
Thanks.

Merf

Never have heard of them.

But take a good long look at Professional Instrument Courses (www.iflyifr.com) before you spend money with someone none of us know. Call Donn H. @ 800-435-9437 and he will give you plenty of detail on the course and references of satisfied clients.

If you are in the Dallas area on Wednesday, March 19, one of the instructors will be in town and I'm organizing a pilot's dinner around his being here. You're more than welcome to join us and ask questions.

But take a good long look at Professional Instrument Courses (www.iflyifr.com) before you spend money with someone none of us know. Call Donn H. @ 800-435-9437 and he will give you plenty of detail on the course and references of satisfied clients.

If you are in the Dallas area on Wednesday, March 19, one of the instructors will be in town and I'm organizing a pilot's dinner around his being here. You're more than welcome to join us and ask questions.

I'll plus-one that; the instructor in question is one of the tops in the craft, IMHO. PIC's methods are time-proven (they may be fast, but there is no "easy" about it, and that's a good thing).

Anybody have experience with them? Dallas area(Addison). Thinking of doing their 10 day Instrument.
Thanks.

Merf

Are you talking about american flyers In Addison? I've never heard of the the one you soak of.

Second this.

I used them for an IFR finish up last summer. Easily passed my check ride a few days later. No shortcuts, but they made sure I was prepared and ready to pass the checkride, and actually fly safely in IMC.

-Dan

Another ADS based pilot here- I haven't heard of them. I didn't find their name 4 years ago when I was looking for a flight school for my private at Addison.

They also show pictures of a Redbird FMX on their site- that's a recent addition. There was an offsite flight sim school which had the only Redbird FMX in Dallas county.

Are you talking about american flyers In Addison? I've never heard of the the one you soak of.

I thought it was American Flyer's too until I applied some google-fu.

I believe Merf is talking about http://www.flytexasamerican.com/

They appear to push having "gold seal" instructors. Kinda sorta makes me want to challenge that all of their instructors on staff actually meet that criteria and are current under that.

-------------------

Merf, come to dinner on the 19th and get your questions answered from someone who does these 10-day immersives as his main form of fun and income acquisition.

These guys tell me they are a subsidiary of Lone Star Flying Club. Does that help?

They may be fine, but since there is little information talk to them about their training. I know of a few places that get you through a short course by flying the same three approaches over, and over, and over until you get it. Guess what three approaches are on your check ride? Gets you through your rating, but does not really help you for the real world.

I personally wouldn't want to obtain my instrument rating in 10 days. Yes, it's convenient, and yes its fast, but there is such a thing as information overload. When you rush through something you'll find yourself forgetting information which will force you to study more and thus resulting in more information overload.
I'm roughly halfway though my instrument rating requirements and it's taken around 2.5-3 months. Currently, I can only afford to fly once a week what with college and living expenses. BUT, It works for me. I like having a week to reflect on my last flight and really retain everything I had learned. I can think about what it is that I may need to work on. It also gives me time to study for my IR and my classes.
Like I said, It works for me.

I'm sure others prefer the fast track.

I talked to the folks at IFlyIFR. I am trying to get assistance from my job( we have an educational benefit. They are hung up on "accreditation". Is there even such a thing? I'll call them Monday but anyone know of such?

AggieMike I am sorry I will miss it. I am in SE Tx. My son is in Dallas and plan to stay with him during the training. I did talk to them and they have an instructor in the big D near Addison which would save me the room and board, so I can still do the training in Dalla

Back