Texans, KSEP, Wed, "BBQ"

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
I am sure it is a 50/50 shot that the weather will workout but with temps in the low 80s, we gotta plan something.

Looks like the plan is to meet at Stephenville around 7PM and head over to hard 8 for *BBQ and good company.

*In the event that Bart reads this we realize nothing they serve actually qualifies as real BBQ per his standards. however there will be jalapeno stuffed, dead animals smoked, smothered, injected, Bacon-ized, glazed, dipped, buttered, and sauced to perfection. ;) so call it what you will but anyone who can make it will have a good meal and meet some really great people!

Bo is down for annual. :-(

Could you drive up to Denton? If it's just Tyler and me in 149G, we could put ya in the back seat.

looks wet

Attachments

• fore3_600x405.jpg
    fore3_600x405.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 12
Not going to be in town this week. Would have enjoyed it though. Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

looks wet

Yup.

Seems anytime they show that, as we get closer to the day the rain doesn't show up.
I am certain Tomorrow will be the exception since I want to fly. In the off chance it goes elsewhere, I'm keeping my schedule open.

They were predicting rain / storms this morning.
999924541626.jpg

It is beautiful out and 76 degrees in mid July in Texas! Windows open!

4 times so far this season I've cancelled a flight with buddies due to weather prediction. Flying time arrives and it's clear, cool, and would have been great.

I'm of the old Harold Taft school of thought on Texas Weather, "Never ever predict snow in Texas until it is actually on the ground. And even then, you have a 50% chance of being wrong."

Last edited:
And that's just the serving pit.

Caution if you order the pork chop. That thing is big enough to affect the tides. But it's REALLY tasty!!!!

Hey guys, sometime you ought to do Burnet - and drive over to Post Mountain BBQ just off the square. Pretty good there.

Chance of this event happening looking decent....

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE FORT WORTH TX
1239 PM CDT TUE JUL 15 2014

.AVIATION...
VFR CONDITIONS WILL PREVAIL THIS TAF PERIOD.

THE NORTHEASTERLY WINDS BEHIND THE EARLY MORNING FROPA WILL BE BETWEEN 10 AND 15 KTS THIS AFTERNOON BUT ARE EXPECTED TO DIMINISH AFTER SUNSET AND CONTINUE TO VEER OVERNIGHT. BY MID MORNING TOMORROW...WINDS SHOULD BE SOUTHEASTERLY AROUND 10 KTS. CONVECTION IS POSSIBLE LATE THIS AFTERNOON NEAR KACT BUT THE LIKELIHOOD WAS TOO LOW TO MENTION IN THE TAFS. THE NEXT CHANCE FOR MEASURABLE PRECIPITATION IS NOT EXPECTED TO ARRIVE UNTIL LATE WEDNESDAY OR THURSDAY...BEYOND THIS FORECAST PERIOD.

because it is in all caps and has the word "PERIOD" I always read that like I'm being scolded.

Forecast is improving

Light winds, High ceilings, Good visibility, low chance for rain, cool temps in both locations.

I fully expect a monsoon tomorrow afternoon but here's hoping the data below plays out.

Dallas

999990858256.jpg

Stephenville

999998419012.jpg

Even the AFD is giving us a good chance at this event happening....

-------------------------------------

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION...UPDATED
641 AM CDT WED JUL 16 2014

.AVIATION...
PRIMARY CONCERN NEXT 24 TO 30 HOURS WILL BE TIMING OF THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY NEAR THE TAF SITES.

EXPECT PARTLY CLOUDY SKIES AND VFR CONDITIONS TO CONTINUE THROUGH THE AFTERNOON HOURS TODAY. WIDELY SCATTERED CONVECTION IS POSSIBLE BY LATE THIS AFTERNOON...BUT CHANCES AT THE TERMINAL SITES WILL BE TOO LOW TO MENTION IN THE TAFS AT THIS TIME.

LOW LEVEL MOISTURE WILL DEEPEN ACROSS THE AREA THIS EVENING AND TONIGHT AS STATIONARY FRONT IN CENTRAL TEXAS STARTS MOVING NORTH. SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS WILL INCREASE IN COVERAGE LATER TONIGHT AS LOW LEVEL WARM ADVECTION INCREASES IN THE VICINITY OF THE WARM FRONT. WILL FORECAST VCTS IN THE METROPLEX TAFS BEGINNING AT 09Z /4 AM CDT/ THURSDAY MORNING AND AT 10Z AT KACT.

THERE IS UNCERTAINTY WITH REGARD TO TIMING OF WIDESPREAD SHOWER AND THUNDERSTORM /MCS/ ACTIVITY ON THURSDAY MORNING. FOR THE 30 HOUR KDFW TAF...WILL FORECAST PREVAILING THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY BEGINNING AT 14Z THURSDAY. LATER FORECASTS MAY NEED TO ADJUST THAT TIMING BASED ON MCS-GENESIS TRENDS UPSTREAM IN OKLAHOMA OR TEXAS PANHANDLE TONIGHT.

If you can stay awake on the flight, you can order a beer.

I believe KenJr will be coming w/ family.

I just saw Troy Check in at Hard 8 in coppell for lunch. And he is also planning on coming tonight with Teresa. (twice in 1 day... awesome)

Tim may be coming and possibly bring his better half too.

I think it will be a good turnout provided the weather stays pleasant.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
115 PM CDT WED JUL 16 2014

.AVIATION...
THE PRIMARY AVIATION WEATHER CONCERN WITH THIS TAF PACKAGE WILL BE THE TIMING OF THUNDERSTORMS.

VFR CONDTIONS ARE EXPECTED THE REMAINDER OF THE AFTERNOON AND EVENING WITH SCATTERED CU AND MAINLY BROKEN HIGH CLOUDS. THE WARM FRONT WILL CONTINUE TO LIFT RAPIDLY NORTHWARD IN RESPONSE TO A DEEPENING SURFACE LOW OVER SOUTHEAST COLORADO/NORTHEAST NEW MEXICO. THE COMBINATION OF INCREASING MOISTURE AND A SLIGHT INCREASE IN LARGE SCALE LIFT ASSOCIATED WITH AN APPROACHING SHORT WAVE WILL RESULT IN SCATTERED AFTERNOON SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS THROUGH THE EVENING. THE BEST STORM CHANCES WILL BE NORTH AND WEST OF ALL TAF SITES. THUNDERSTORM CHANCES WILL INCREASE OVENRIGHT/THURSDAY MORNING AS THE SHORT WAVE ENTERS SOUTHWEST OKLAHOMA AND THE PANHANDLE. THE BEST WINDOW FOR STORMS AT THE METORPLEX TAF SITES WILL BE BETWEEN 13 AND 17Z THURSDAY WITH A SLIGHTLY LATER WINDOW IN WACO.

I am okay with that.

When do we make the call that KSEP is out?
I guess main concern is getting out there and something pops up as it is getting dark.

I'm fine with KRBD if we don't go to to KSEP.

EDIT: Spoke with Tyler... we're good for wherever.. Just need the herd to make up its mind.

Last edited:
there's a cell just SW of Brownwood moving towards KSEP that I'd be worried about too.

Alright, let's do it right and err on the side of caution.

I spoke to Mike. Seems playing it safe is smarter.
Dinner at KRBD which is pretty close to home.
I will be wheels up at 6:00

After dinner if weather is good I may see abut the DFW city tour. Always wanted to do that.

Man... you guys are killing me. How long has it been since I have had good Texas barbeque and just plain home cookin'? Been too long....:cryin:

Man... you guys are killing me. How long has it been since I have had good Texas barbeque and just plain home cookin'? Been too long....:cryin:

We will schedule another one in a week or two.
Something is building right on top of KSEP. I don't want to end up on some AOPA video with y'all calling me an idiot for flying into a storm.

I am still young and get pleasure out of being on the this side of those videos :)

We may end up driving, but we WILL be at KRBD. The line over SEP is headed to RBD:
evypedym.jpg

Last edited:
Pop up showers in the area, did you get a flight in?

We lunched at the Hard 8 BBQ yesterday. Awesome!
KSEP weather was nice, but we dodged the clouds all the way home.

Pop up showers in the area, did you get a flight in?

Tyler and Mike made in the Bonanza and Eren and Bryan in their Trinidad. Teresa and I drove in, as did Terry and Kim, and we all enjoyed a meal on the patio at KRBD, watching the storms move in.

We are home now, they should be headed out soon, they (wisely) chose to wait until the storms pass then get home on the VFR backside. We drove through some heavy squalls on the way home but it's clear on the other side.

Flight home was easy. Departed 17 and flew south until Approach slowly turned us west to I35W and then northbound.

Tim, it would have been an easy hop. I look forward to seeing you at the next gathering. Perhaps Saturday in Denton for our FAAST seminar and burger feed.

Had a good time. It was great to meet some new folks and see some familiar faces as well. I'm looking forward to the next one.

damn...hated to miss but too sketchy for me coming up from Austin...long flight home in the dark and not knowing where the clouds are...

Next time...

damn...hated to miss but too sketchy for me coming up from Austin...long flight home in the dark and not knowing where the clouds are...

Next time...

Totally agree. Hopefully next time the weather will cooperate and we can meet in the middle. We got a little rain but not too much. Maybe a minute or two on the way out and same on the way back.

99991650821.jpg

Back