Testing satelite cable

Discussion in 'Hangar Talk' started by Flyboy, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Flyboy

Flyboy Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ron Kinney
    Hi folks, It's been awhile. I've been out of aviation due to medical problems but I'm working on getting back in the air.

Anywho....

I need to determine where some tv cable goes in my house. It was pre-wired for cable/satellite tv but the one in the bonus room doesn't seem to have a connection. Can I connect a jumper to the copper line and the braid on the cable and use a circuit tester to see if it has a circuit to find the other end or do I need some special tool. I've got 3 wires that go to no where at least at the dmark in the garrage.

I think the line to the bonus room might have run out side separatly from the rest and need to find out as well.
    Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2006
  2. Brian Austin

Brian Austin En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Brian Austin
    Yes, connecting the inner conductor (copper) with the outer conductor (braid) will close the circuit for testing purposes on coaxial cable. If you have it connected to a signal source, though, you might have some problems with your other TV signals. ;)

If you have any phone testing equipment (or a friend with some), it's easier to hook up a tone generator and use the probe at the other end to find it. The way you described will work, too, though.

3. Flyboy

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ron Kinney
    Thanks, I've done some crawling around in the attic and manual wire tracing and I can't see where this line ever comes into the garage, do it has to be one of the two outside lines. I'll test to see which one, then I need a 3 LNB dish attachment and some cable.

4. wsuffa

wsuffa Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bill S.
    Ron, there are also relatively inexpensive devices that can be used to find/trace a hidden cable. I had one at one time. I consists of a frequency generator that goes on the cable, and an induction loop (about 1/4 the size of a hot dog) that picks up the induced signal. I used it to find broken wires in the wall.

If you have several cables, but don't know which one is which, shorting one end and reading the other with a multitester works just fine.

5. SCCutler

SCCutler Administrator Management Council Member

Display Name:

Display name:
    Spike Cutler
    Yep, use a tone generator, save yourself all manner of time and toil.

Available at Lowe's, Home Despot, etc.

6. Flyboy

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ron Kinney
    Well I need a new multitester anyway, and if tone generators aren't too expensive I'll add one to my tool box.

7. Flyboy

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ron Kinney
    OK! I stopped by lowes on my way home and went to the electrical tools section. Standing looking at the multit testers, I saw a tone generator for 35 bucks that had all the hook ups for phone, eithernet, tv cable and wiring built in. The main part is also a cradle for the signal sensor. Being a gadget freak, I opted to not get the multitestor at all and bought this.

After taking it out of the box and hooking it up it took less than 2 minutes to fined the cable I was looking for, and it is in the garage afterall. (the 2 minutes included the walk downstairs)

It was the cable I thought it was and had tried before but I must have not screwed it in enough that time. (its an awkard tight angle)

Now I have 2 more cables to trace but it will be a breeze. I also need a new 2 in 4 out signal amplifier (mine is 2 in 2 out for sat and 1 in 5 out for cable tv)
    and I'll be set.

I also had all the rooms in the house prewired for speakers but haven't had them installed yet and now I can do all that. :) Wooo hooo!!!!