Testing satelite cable

Flyboy

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Ron Kinney
Hi folks, It's been awhile. I've been out of aviation due to medical problems but I'm working on getting back in the air.

Anywho....

I need to determine where some tv cable goes in my house. It was pre-wired for cable/satellite tv but the one in the bonus room doesn't seem to have a connection. Can I connect a jumper to the copper line and the braid on the cable and use a circuit tester to see if it has a circuit to find the other end or do I need some special tool. I've got 3 wires that go to no where at least at the dmark in the garrage.

I think the line to the bonus room might have run out side separatly from the rest and need to find out as well.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Yes, connecting the inner conductor (copper) with the outer conductor (braid) will close the circuit for testing purposes on coaxial cable. If you have it connected to a signal source, though, you might have some problems with your other TV signals. ;)

If you have any phone testing equipment (or a friend with some), it's easier to hook up a tone generator and use the probe at the other end to find it. The way you described will work, too, though.

Thanks, I've done some crawling around in the attic and manual wire tracing and I can't see where this line ever comes into the garage, do it has to be one of the two outside lines. I'll test to see which one, then I need a 3 LNB dish attachment and some cable.

Ron, there are also relatively inexpensive devices that can be used to find/trace a hidden cable. I had one at one time. I consists of a frequency generator that goes on the cable, and an induction loop (about 1/4 the size of a hot dog) that picks up the induced signal. I used it to find broken wires in the wall.

If you have several cables, but don't know which one is which, shorting one end and reading the other with a multitester works just fine.

Yep, use a tone generator, save yourself all manner of time and toil.

Available at Lowe's, Home Despot, etc.

Well I need a new multitester anyway, and if tone generators aren't too expensive I'll add one to my tool box.

OK! I stopped by lowes on my way home and went to the electrical tools section. Standing looking at the multit testers, I saw a tone generator for 35 bucks that had all the hook ups for phone, eithernet, tv cable and wiring built in. The main part is also a cradle for the signal sensor. Being a gadget freak, I opted to not get the multitestor at all and bought this.

After taking it out of the box and hooking it up it took less than 2 minutes to fined the cable I was looking for, and it is in the garage afterall. (the 2 minutes included the walk downstairs)

It was the cable I thought it was and had tried before but I must have not screwed it in enough that time. (its an awkard tight angle)

Now I have 2 more cables to trace but it will be a breeze. I also need a new 2 in 4 out signal amplifier (mine is 2 in 2 out for sat and 1 in 5 out for cable tv)
and I'll be set.

I also had all the rooms in the house prewired for speakers but haven't had them installed yet and now I can do all that. :) Wooo hooo!!!!

Back