Testing Headsets

Tex_Mike

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Tex_MIKE
Any recommendations on how to test a headset without being in an airplane?

just buy the Zulus.

Actually I always encourage guys to pay attention to noise cancelling without the ANR powered on. Passive noise reduction is important. Find a couple you prefer and then compare them with the ANR turned on. Off. On. Then buy the Zulus. :)

just buy the Zulus.

Actually I always encourage guys to pay attention to noise cancelling without the ANR powered on. Passive noise reduction is important. Find a couple you prefer and then compare them with the ANR turned on. Off. On. Then buy the Zulus. :)
That's a funny way of spelling Halos.

Let the headset fanboy ****ing matches begin :popcorn:

Icom radio with the headset conversion. Shop I used to use called the tower with a radio check. 'Norwood tower, N123AB, radio check.'
Some headsets are worthless when the batteries die. If the passive side is nonexistent, you may find yourself unable to hear a thing. I carry four different headsets, one non-ANR, one lightspeed, one bose, one DC. Only the non-ANR and the DC's can be used if the batteries are dead in the others. Especially true in a piston helocopter.

First, are they comfortable for you to wear for a couple hours? Most places will give you 30" day trial period. Wear them around the house for an hour or two a couple times. See how you like them?

Next, you can get a test of sound by plugging into any sound source such as a stereo unit or get a mini to 1/4 in adapter and plug into a tablet or phone and wander around the house with the headset on for an hour or two.

Third / get a friend to drive you around for about 20 min with the windows wide open. On an interstate but not in rush hour, you need the speed. But something noisy. Or find very noisy environment. See how you like the headsetwith your portable sound source. If ANR, try with ANR on and off. Altho some here will complain about losing the ANR when the batteries die, never bothered me because I always have a spare set or two of batteries with me.

The real key is comfort on your head.

Last edited:
Altho some here will complain about losing the ANR when the batteries die, never bothered me because I always have a spare set or two of batteries with me.
Same with me. And one of the best $7.00 aviation gadgets in my flight bag is this Storacell battery holder. (Amazon.com Link)
51WtY3FXuiL.jpg

As the others have already said, in order to test microphone and speaker functionality, you need an intercom or transceiver of some kind.
Testing the ANR requires no external connections. Just turn it on.

Back