test ?

signu127

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Sig-Nu
No person may operate an airplane within Class D airspace at night under special VFR unless the airplane is equipped for instrument flight.

Could someone explain...for some reason i am confused by "special" vfr?

thanks

unless the airplane is equipped for instrument flight.

Should add plane is instrument equipped AND pilot is instrument rated.

Standard VFR conditions are 3 miles visibility and 1000/500/2000 around clouds except in Class G airspace which is 1 mile visibility and clear of clouds during day. At night even class G is 3-1/5/2. Since Class D airport is controlled and towered, they can issue a "special VFR" clearance in cruddy weather that reduces the VFR allowable minimums from the 3-1/5/2's down to 1 mile and clear of clouds since they can essentially provide radar separation and know where the planes may be popping outta the clouds on an IFR approach. This is only allowed during day however, hence no special VFR at night. Night time would have to be the 3-1/5/2 minimum to get in VFR in any airspace.

It took me quite a while to get my head around the different airspace and VFR minimum requirements. Once you get past the "my head is gonna explode" moment...it will all begin to click.

Last edited:
Are you confused about the night restriction or Special VFR in general?

AIM
4-4-6. Special VFR Clearances

a. An ATC clearance must be obtained prior to operating within a Class B, Class C, Class D, or Class E surface area when the weather is less than that required for VFR flight. A VFR pilot may request and be given a clearance to enter, leave, or operate within most Class D and Class E surface areas and some Class B and Class C surface areas in special VFR conditions, traffic permitting, and providing such flight will not delay IFR operations. All special VFR flights must remain clear of clouds. The visibility requirements for special VFR aircraft (other than helicopters) are:

1. At least 1 statute mile flight visibility for operations within Class B, Class C, Class D, and Class E surface areas.

2. At least 1 statute mile ground visibility if taking off or landing. If ground visibility is not reported at that airport, the flight visibility must be at least 1 statute mile.

3. The restrictions in subparagraphs 1 and 2 do not apply to helicopters. Helicopters must remain clear of clouds and may operate in Class B, Class C, Class D, and Class E surface areas with less than 1 statute mile visibility.

b. When a control tower is located within the Class B, Class C, or Class D surface area, requests for clearances should be to the tower. In a Class E surface area, a clearance may be obtained from the nearest tower, FSS, or center.

c. It is not necessary to file a complete flight plan with the request for clearance, but pilots should state their intentions in sufficient detail to permit ATC to fit their flight into the traffic flow. The clearance will not contain a specific altitude as the pilot must remain clear of clouds. The controller may require the pilot to fly at or below a certain altitude due to other traffic, but the altitude specified will permit flight at or above the minimum safe altitude. In addition, at radar locations, flights may be vectored if necessary for control purposes or on pilot request.

NOTE-
The pilot is responsible for obstacle or terrain clearance.

REFERENCE-
14 CFR Section 91.119, Minimum safe altitudes: General.

d. Special VFR clearances are effective within Class B, Class C, Class D, and Class E surface areas only. ATC does not provide separation after an aircraft leaves the Class B, Class C, Class D, or Class E surface area on a special VFR clearance.

e. Special VFR operations by fixed-wing aircraft are prohibited in some Class B and Class C surface areas due to the volume of IFR traffic. A list of these Class B and Class C surface areas is contained in 14 CFR Part 91, Appendix D, Section 3. They are also depicted on sectional aeronautical charts.

f. ATC provides separation between Special VFR flights and between these flights and other IFR flights.

g. Special VFR operations by fixed-wing aircraft are prohibited between sunset and sunrise unless the pilot is instrument rated and the aircraft is equipped for IFR flight.

h. Pilots arriving or departing an uncontrolled airport that has automated weather broadcast capability (ASOS/AWSS/AWOS) should monitor the broadcast frequency, advise the controller that they have the “one-minute weather” and state intentions prior to operating within the Class B, Class C, Class D, or Class E surface areas.

Special VFR in general. I didn't know what it meant. I didnt realize a special could be issued...but I get it now. This is something ATC would decide and issue..right? I kept getting all the "special" questions wrong because I knew the rules for VFR flight but wasn't clued in as to a special set of rules. After reading the second post i get it now...thanks Shawn

This is something ATC would decide and issue..right?

No. It is something ATC may specifically NOT offer. The pilot has to ask for it.

Having said that, sometimes ATC can get rather creative in getting the pilot to ask for it. :yes::)

The intent is to give you a way to descend and avoid VFR into IMC if you can remain clear of clouds in the B/C/D around the field.

You have to ask for it, and some airports have a no SVFR restriction (many class B airports) this will be noted on the sectional.

No. It is something ATC may specifically NOT offer. The pilot has to ask for it.

Having said that, sometimes ATC can get rather creative in getting the pilot to ask for it. :yes::)

"Is there anything SPECIAL we can do for you???"

AIM reference was provided. The FAR references are:

FAR 1.1 for the definition. 91.157 for the operating rules.

So I'm taking it that you ate a student pilot , or a really old not current private, since those knowledge is standard for pp certificate.
Students can't fly social vfr anyway, so who are you?

"social vor"
I hate these "auto-correct" features.

Still workn ...

So I'm taking it that you ate a student pilot , or a really old not current private, since those knowledge is standard for pp certificate.
Students can't fly social vfr anyway, so who are you?

I am a student
thanks

"Is there anything SPECIAL we can do for you???"

Several times I've heard a controller be straight up blunt about it...

I.e. "The field is currently below VFR minimums, would you like to request Special VFR?"

Why...yes...yes, I would like to request Special VFR.

Several times I've heard a controller be straight up blunt about it...

I.e. "The field is currently below VFR minimums, would you like to request Special VFR?"

Why...yes...yes, I would like to request Special VFR.

I do understand it now. I have been in the books a lot in prep for my written and I came across it on some prep test and got everyone of the questions wrong...I had never heard special VFR mentioned before. Its all good now!

thanks

I do understand it now. I have been in the books a lot in prep for my written and I came across it on some prep test and got everyone of the questions wrong...I had never heard special VFR mentioned before. Its all good now!

thanks
Even though you kind of have to learn it to get your PPL, many PPLs don't understand it well enough to remember it when they actually could use it. Why? Because it's infrequently needed and used, and because of the that 'rule' that ATC can't offer it to you, you have to ask for it.

Here's how it can play out; You are sitting on the ground at a towered airport. You call up ground asking to taxi for takeoff. Ground responds, "visibility is one and one half miles, the airport is closed to VFR traffic. Say your intentions". As you sit there stumped not only about your intentions but even what to say next, you may remember this discussion. ATC just told you that you can't depart VFR. Unless you are IFR rated the only possible response is, "I'm shutting down". That is, unless you recall the Special VFR option. ATC is giving you a hint with the intentions part.

Assuming you feel safe departing based on what you see, where you are going and whatever other Wx information you have. And Special VFR minimums are met, you say the special words, "We request a Special VFR clearance for departure". Suddenly ATC will give you everything you want and do it with a little smile because you remembered!

Don't be surprised if 1 or 2 other VFR pilots immediately call in after you requesting a 'special'. That's not uncommon.

No need to remember all that now... just remember to remember it after you get your PPL. One day when you are stuck and ATC doesn't quite seem to be helpful on a flyable day, you'll have the magic words to open the gates.

Even though you kind of have to learn it to get your PPL, many PPLs don't understand it well enough to remember it when they actually could use it. Why? Because it's infrequently needed and used, and because of the that 'rule' that ATC can't offer it to you, you have to ask for it.

Here's how it can play out; You are sitting on the ground at a towered airport. You call up ground asking to taxi for takeoff. Ground responds, "visibility is one and one half miles, the airport is closed to VFR traffic. Say your intentions". As you sit there stumped not only about your intentions but even what to say next, you may remember this discussion. ATC just told you that you can't depart VFR. Unless you are IFR rated the only possible response is, "I'm shutting down". That is, unless you recall the Special VFR option. ATC is giving you a hint with the intentions part.

Assuming you feel safe departing based on what you see, where you are going and whatever other Wx information you have. And Special VFR minimums are met, you say the special words, "We request a Special VFR clearance for departure". Suddenly ATC will give you everything you want and do it with a little smile because you remembered!

Don't be surprised if 1 or 2 other VFR pilots immediately call in after you requesting a 'special'. That's not uncommon.

No need to remember all that now... just remember to remember it after you get your PPL. One day when you are stuck and ATC doesn't quite seem to be helpful on a flyable day, you'll have the magic words to open the gates.

It is stored...thanks for the post!

I have another test question: TAF reports...is there a simple way to learning how to read them?

thanks

Keep reading, everytime you think of it, pull up the forcast, if you dont know the abbreviation find a guide online. After a couple of times, its second nature.

Remember that the instrument rating/equipment requirement is for Special VFR between sunset and sunrise, not "night" by the usual definitions.

Special VFR is something I will gladly never request in my lifetime. If you're going to be flying in crappy weather, just get an instrument rating. And use it!

A couple of points. Never launch SVFR into deteriorating conditions. Morning fog burning off, maybe ok. Coastal fog rolling in, never. You can use SVFR from an untowered airport if you can raise ATC and get the clearance.

Special VFR is something I will gladly never request in my lifetime. If you're going to be flying in crappy weather, just get an instrument rating. And use it!

It's not necessarily dangerous. Keep in mind the Class G (day) VFR minima below 1200' AGL are 1sm/clear of clouds. Special VFR allows you to apply the same minima to controlled airspace. Is flying clear of clouds in Class E with a clearance more dangerous than doing it in Class G without one?

A broken layer directly over a B/C/D/E airport at 900 feet will prohibit VFR operations. Even a scattered layer may prevent you from maintaining legal cloud separation. Special VFR can be useful in such situations, assuming you're either going quite a short distance or the weather is better nearby.

I used "special VFR" a lot in and out of Augusta Maine (AUG) in the 70s. The airport sits on top of a leveled off hill. We would be coming back from the lake, legal VFR below 800 or 1200 ft AGL, but not legal for the "Control Zone" (CZ).

We still had FSS on the field, call them for weather, "500 OVC with light rain, 6 miles vis", report our position, "over the river 10nm NE" and ask for a special. They would contact ATC and get us a clearance, "ATC clears nxxxx to enter the CZ from the NE, remain clear of clouds, report canceling to FSS"

We would have to climb to get above runway elevation, land, tell FSS when we taxied clear of the runway.

A Special VFR clearance essentially gets you a "clear of clouds IFR" clearance and keeps other IFR traffic out of the CZ until you are done. I've been told to remain clear of the CZ, IFR ILS approach in progress. He canceled and FSS called to see if we still needed to get in, then get us a clearance.

Last edited:

I have an instrument rating, but there are plenty of times I just fly VFR, especially in the summer afternoons with storms popping up. I've had to request SVFR to get into my destination legally just after a storm passed through because there was still a bunch of low-level "scruff" left over and I wanted to be legally flying "clear of clouds" instead of just ignoring the rules. Yes, I could have called and gotten a pop up IFR and flown an approach, or I could just call up the tower and get a SVFR and be done with it.

It doesn't have to be "OVC 900 with 2 mi of deteriorating visibility" to need SVFR... it can be 10+ miles visibility with a scattered layer at 1000 AGL over the airport. In a situation like that I'll get SVFR and then enjoy the fun of flying either a foot above the clouds or weaving around them on my way to the runway.

On your TAF question this is how I learned to read them. Get an app that will get METAR and TAF for a set of airports in your area. ForeFlight is one, Meter is a free one I think for Android. There are free ones for iPhones too just look around.

Any time you have down time, waiting in line at the store, conference calls (boring ones anyway) take out the app and try to read the raw METAR and TAF. Jot down any abbreviations that you do not know and Google them or figure them out from the plain English translation.

What will happen is in about a week you will be able to read the raw text faster than the translated text in an app like foreflight.

And to this point, do it a few dozen times and you'll get it. I found them easier to learn when correlating actual METARs and TAFs with translated ones over and over and ...

+1 nothing to it.

Back