Test Sled Report - Gaston's Runway

Ed Guthrie

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Ed Guthrie
For those of you coming to Gaston's: The runway is hard and smooth, freshly mowed, and, in short, in excellent condition.

Regarding the attached photo, please note that the gear and gear doors are still attached, despite being a Mooney on a grass runway, something that just cannot be done, period, the prop is too close to the ground, the Mooney gear are too unforgiving, everyone knows this, etc.
wink.gif

Attachments

• Mooney N201RR at Gastons 6-6-07.jpg
    Mooney N201RR at Gastons 6-6-07.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 72
Cool, Ed!

Hey! You took my tie down spot! :D

Could you post periodic surface winds reports?

I just talked to Grant. I'd deal with headwinds aloft making for a much longer ride. I just talked to my folks there and they said the forecasts are saying 50 MPH winds. It occurred to me that no matter what, I gotta land somewhere. :hairraise:

You lucky dog!

See ya in 28 hrs! (I get tailwinds!)

Could you post periodic surface winds reports?
I will not be here at the runway between ~ 7 AM and ~ 5 or 6 PM tomorrow. FWIW, this afternoon I found that the Mountain Home ASOS recording matched the Gaston's conditions.

For those of you coming to Gaston's: The runway is hard and smooth, freshly mowed, and, in short, in excellent condition.

Regarding the attached photo, please note that the gear and gear doors are still attached, despite being a Mooney on a grass runway, something that just cannot be done, period, the prop is too close to the ground, the Mooney gear are too unforgiving, everyone knows this, etc.
wink.gif

Damn Ed,

That airplane is so fast you got there two day early!

ed just shows up early to get the primo parking spots...

Periodic Wind Report - Gaston's Runway

The wind is picking up slightly already this morning. There was none at 6:15 AM, but at 6:45 it was definitely underway for the day, favoring RWY 24, probably variable between 200 and 240 degrees, maybe ~5-10 kts.

That is a factor (the Mooney is in the afternoon shade spot). There is also fly fishing for trout on these two excellent tail water rivers...

Like one can actually get a fish to bite on that river :(

(I love to fly-fish, but I find that the fish near Gaston's don't seem to share the enthusiasm that either I or the fish on the Snake River in Idaho have for the sport).

(I love to fly-fish, but I find that the fish near Gaston's don't seem to share the enthusiasm that either I or the fish on the Snake River in Idaho have for the sport).

Geez, Bill, if the fish put on a finicky, Morris the Cat act, just reach down and grab the fish and have a stern talk wit' it.

Some of the other camps around there have signs saying they guarantee you'll catch a fish. I couldn't imagine how you couldn't.

Last edited:
A good guide can make all the difference in the world. Yesterday I had the first trout on a fly within 10 minutes of stepping into the river. Here are two that Mary See caught yesterday.

Attachments

• IMG_2816.JPG
    IMG_2816.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2818.JPG
    IMG_2818.JPG
    715.7 KB · Views: 19
We'll have to get an amended report out since it is raining pretty good here right now. Not sure how long it's been raining, but it seems like it's coming down pretty good.

ill probably call before we leave, weather service is saying you should only get an additional quarter to half an inch. my impressions of that runway are that it is so solid it probably doesnt absorb much water.

ill probably call before we leave, weather service is saying you should only get an additional quarter to half an inch. my impressions of that runway are that it is so solid it probably doesnt absorb much water.

When the rain stops I'll walk the whole thing and post here.

FronPa: Thunder rumbling overhead, rain has stopped. Breeze fell off. Hard to tell in the valley, from a room, but I think its a pretty decent c&vis. Maybe the old adage Rain before 7, done by 11 will hold! Anyone may call me for updates 4323866185

Attachments

• map.JPG
    map.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
A good guide can make all the difference in the world. Yesterday I had the first trout on a fly within 10 minutes of stepping into the river. Here are two that Mary See caught yesterday.

I suppose some of it has to do with the water flows from the damn. I guess the two times I went out at Gaston's the water flow was not good for the trout. Score another one for the Snake.

Well, we just made the decision to hold tight until this afternoon. It looks like the storms will hit Nashville around 11:00 local and push out about 1:00.

If we're wheels up at 2:00 we should land about 5:00 local.

I hope there was no hail damage to any planes tied down.

my impressions of that runway are that it is so solid it probably doesnt absorb much water.

Is true and thats probably a good thing; otherwise it would become a spongy mess; I recall last time I was here the same thing happened, we had heavy rain and then people were landing with no problem within a few hours - it has good drainage.

Back