Test generating software for ground school

WillFly4Food

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
WillFly4Food
I instruct part-time in a local evening ground school program. We use Gardner’s textbook, but have our own custom course syllabus that we adhere to. The program is split into three stages, with Stage Exams after Stages 1 & 2 that focus only on the previous stage material, and Final Exams that are comprehensive.

Developing these exams can be fairly time consuming. I’ve taught for about 20 years, and for the first 12-15 of those, the FAA test question bank was fairly static. But since then there have been several changes, with no end in sight, which of course means more time required for exam maintenance.

So I’m wondering if anyone can recommend software they may have some experience with that can be used to generate exams. Our stage exams are 40 questions and our finals are 60. We edit the test in Word, print multiple copies, and students complete it in-class, unless other arrangements are made. I’m mainly speaking of PPL material, but IFR and possibly Commercial exam capability would be nice to have, too.

Thanks

If you're writing your own questions, just put them all in a single file (csv,txt,excel,etc), and since you're using word, use VBA to randomly select questions to generate the exam.

Back