Test Flight After 100 Hour?

kimberlyanne546

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Kimberly
I just got an email from my flight school. Based on the time I reserved the 172 they are taking the plane down today so that it will be ready for me and my Dad on Friday afternoon.

When I asked the volunteer, non pilot, girl who answers the phones (her SO is the main mechanic) what they were doing to my 172 she answered:

She "thinks" it is the 100 hour (we also do 50 hours)

She thinks they are fixing the muffler, finally (it would make a HORRIBLE noise at full power on takeoff on the ground which my CFI said was "normal" and I thought it would scare passengers)

So - I don't know why I was so concerned about safety - but I asked her - will I be the first to fly this plane? Or is it required to have a "test flight" after major maintenance? She wasn't sure.

Is there a higher rate of incidents right after work on planes is done? Obviously I will do a thorough pre-flight, and I don't think he'd forget to put a screw back in place etc but I suppose it bothered me that I would be the very first to fly it.

Perhaps I am overthinking this since my Dad (ex Air Force C130 pilot) will be my MOST important passenger to date.

Kimberly

A post maintenance test flight IS required after major service. Not sure if a 100hr meets that standard. If there is engine or airframe work being done, I personally wouldn't be first to fly it.

A post maintenance test flight IS required after major service. Not sure if a 100hr meets that standard. If there is engine or airframe work being done, I personally wouldn't be first to fly it.

I think there is a small hole in the muffler they are welding or something like that regarding the noise. Not sure if it is "major" repair of the muffler.

A 100 hour is not generally major service. Neither is an annual. They're INSPECTIONS. Depending on what they find and what they fix, there may be a requirement for a test flight.

When I take an airplane after maintenance, I read the log entry just so I know what was done to the airplane. I do a thorough preflight, including removing the cowl rather than just peeking through the oil door and air openings. (Your rental place may not let you do this.) I just look to see that there isn't an oil or gas puddle anywhere, and that nothing looks "dangling" or disconnected. I test the full movement of the control surfaces AND the trim system(s), because a misrigged or malfunctioning flight control can be a very bad thing.

Then I do a complete run-up, and if it's cold I wait until the engine oil temp is in the green before takeoff.

The normal 100-hour work is generally an oil/filter change, and fixing any squawks like worn tires or loud mufflers.

If they've replaced the muffler on your airplane, be sensitive for any smells of exhaust getting in the cabin, and be careful with the heat.

A 100 hour is not generally major service. Neither is an annual. They're INSPECTIONS. Depending on what they find and what they fix, there may be a requirement for a test flight.

Correct.

91.407 Operation after maintenance, preventive maintenance, rebuilding, or alteration.

(a) No person may operate any aircraft that has undergone maintenance, preventive maintenance, rebuilding, or alteration unless—
(1) It has been approved for return to service by a person authorized under §43.7 of this chapter; and
(2) The maintenance record entry required by §43.9 or §43.11, as applicable, of this chapter has been made.
(b) No person may carry any person (other than crewmembers) in an aircraft that has been maintained, rebuilt, or altered in a manner that may have appreciably changed its flight characteristics or substantially affected its operation in flight until an appropriately rated pilot with at least a private pilot certificate flies the aircraft, makes an operational check of the maintenance performed or alteration made, and logs the flight in the aircraft records.
(c) The aircraft does not have to be flown as required by paragraph (b) of this section if, prior to flight, ground tests, inspection, or both show conclusively that the maintenance, preventive maintenance, rebuilding, or alteration has not appreciably changed the flight characteristics or substantially affected the flight operation of the aircraft.

When I take an airplane after maintenance, I read the log entry just so I know what was done to the airplane. I do a thorough preflight, including removing the cowl rather than just peeking through the oil door and air openings. (Your rental place may not let you do this.) I just look to see that there isn't an oil or gas puddle anywhere, and that nothing looks "dangling" or disconnected. I test the full movement of the control surfaces AND the trim system(s), because a misrigged or malfunctioning flight control can be a very bad thing.

Then I do a complete run-up, and if it's cold I wait until the engine oil temp is in the green before takeoff.

The normal 100-hour work is generally an oil/filter change, and fixing any squawks like worn tires or loud mufflers.

If they've replaced the muffler on your airplane, be sensitive for any smells of exhaust getting in the cabin, and be careful with the heat.

I'm pretty sure they won't let me remove the cowl (nor would I have the tools to). And funny you should mention the trim thing: I told Matt Teller this in the 172 - I always "play" with the trim during runup / before takeoff - in both directions - to make sure it is working. I never just set it for takeoff trim and remain happy with that.

I think there is a small hole in the muffler they are welding or something like that regarding the noise. Not sure if it is "major" repair of the muffler.

That aircraft will not need a test flight "PMCF" Post Maintenance Check Flight.

read FAR 91.407 (b)

Does it have a carbon monoxide warning system installed?

Kimberly, good for you for being cautious about this. I too am cautious taking a rental after maintenance. Even an oil change during a 100-hour could create a problem - was the oil filter installed properly, etc.

When taking my IR checkride, I learned after reviewing the maintenance logs that this flight school treats every 100-hour inspection like an annual inspection, and signs off as such. I learned at the time about the extra steps that are performed, but I don't recall them right now. Suffice it to say that if a plane is coming off a 100-hour inspection there, I expect that someone has done a test flight before I will take it in the air.

This may be a great opportunity to meet the mechanics, scan the logs, etc. I'm sure your dad would find it interesting as well!

Enjoy the flight with your dad.

Kimberly, good for you for being cautious about this. I too am cautious taking a rental after maintenance. Even an oil change during a 100-hour could create a problem - was the oil filter installed properly, etc.

When taking my IR checkride, I learned after reviewing the maintenance logs that this flight school treats every 100-hour inspection like an annual inspection, and signs off as such. I learned at the time about the extra steps that are performed, but I don't recall them right now. Suffice it to say that if a plane is coming off a 100-hour inspection there, I expect that someone has done a test flight before I will take it in the air.

This may be a great opportunity to meet the mechanics, scan the logs, etc. I'm sure your dad would find it interesting as well!

FWIW, the 100 hour is identical to the Annual Inspection. The only difference is in who signs it off. An annual requires an IA, the 100 hour an A&P.

Thanks, but the weather is looking iffy (mostly cloudy and / or rain). We have agreed to meet at the airport rain or shine - it is roughly 2 - 3 hours from where he lives so if we don't fly I plan to show him the plane, the mechanic, the hangar, etc. I'm even thinking that since I haven't flown the 172 since October 29 (I flew the 152 last week), perhaps I should take it up BEFORE he gets there, for let's say a landing or two, just to make sure everything is OK and of course to work on my landings to impress Dad.

The detector is nothing more than credit-card sized piece of plastic with a dime-size hole in the middle. The hole is filled with a screen that reacts by changing color if CO is present. They come with double-side tape and stick-on the panel. They were cheap the last time I bought one.
Nope. Heck it didn't even have a matching door for years.

Nope. Heck it didn't even have a matching door for years.

The important thing is that it had a door...

(found a door hinge adrift on preflight once on a rental, didn't give me much confidence in the operation)

Last winter, I remember being excited to be the first person to take a plane after it got a 180hp upgrade from a, er, donor aircraft. Towards the end of the preflight, my CFI noticed that the nosegear strut was covered in oil, presumably due to an improperly-installed filter. Multiple lessons were learned on that day.

Even an oil change during a 100-hour could create a problem - was the oil filter installed properly, etc.

While no 91.407 test flight is required after an annual/100-hr, the owner of the flight school at which I worked for three years a very long time ago required at least once around the patch by one of the instructors solo before returning the aircraft to the flight line for routine operations. I think that was a wise policy, because in most cases, that inspection involves taking apart an airplane which is running just fine and then putting it back together -- which invites errors which should not be left for a customer to detect.

In addition, if the muffler was repaired, I think I'd want to make that nonrequired test flight with a good electronic CO detector held near the cabin heat and defroster outlets.

Last edited:
While no 91.407 test flight is required after an annual/100-hr, the owner of the flight school at which I worked for three years a very long time ago required at least once around the patch by one of the instructors solo before returning the aircraft to the flight line for routine operations. I think that was a wise policy, because in most cases, that inspection involves taking apart an airplane which is running just fine and then putting it back together -- which invites errors which should not be left for a customer to detect.

In addition, if the muffler was repaired, I think I'd want to make that nonrequired test flight with a good electronic CO detector held near the cabin heat and defroster outlets.

I'm going tomorrow (though likely we will be grounded). Anywhere I can buy one before then? How much are they? Home Depot?

Just do a thorough preflight. I had an oil line get disconnected (IIRC it was the line to the hobbs meter switch) after a 100 hour inspection in a club plane. Thankfully the line had a rather small diameter, and I was doing pattern work at the time. It's a bit disconcerting to see the normally rocksteady oilpressure gauge head south.

I just flew an abbreviated pattern, pulled off on the first taxiway, and called the club for a tug.

Best part was that the hobbs meter didn't record hardly any time :)

Thanks, Ron. This looks like a good candidate.

Last edited:
They didn't work on the muffler and got mad when I said I'd read on the internet I should be worried about carbon. They are ordering a new one and will put it on later. I squished my Dad into the 152 and he was NOT comfortable, so the 172 / muffler thing was no longer an issue. Ceilings (just a gray sky, IFR all over CA) were only 1600 feet or less so we flew a low level pattern twice and ducked under the clouds. I stayed legal but didn't want to remain grounded on such a stable but crappy day. No rain, good visibility, just low ceilings.

He is one of those Dads you can never do anything right / good enough for.

So to hear HIM - an ex air force multi engine pilot - say I was relaxed, always in control of the airplane, great landings etc.... was AWESOME. I know we didn't get to fly but I let him do a little taxi and if we had flown the real flight he might have been able to help in the air. I didn't let him this time since the weather was iffy, I was flying a non standard pattern, and with his weight the plane wasn't climbing that well (He's 215 pounds and six feet tall). I was "busy" the whole time and it wasn't the time to let him do much. Straight and level that is a different story. So one day I will fly with him again, and he is even going to try to convince his wife!

Here is a video of one of my takeoffs and one of my landings. Don't know why but I did a soft field takeoff (not shown) for fun with him, first time I've tried since my checkride.

Here is a video of one of my takeoffs and one of my landings. Don't know why but I did a soft field takeoff (not shown) for fun with him, first time I've tried since my checkride.

That shouldn't have scared him - too much......!

Kidding dear, just kidding....!

They didn't work on the muffler and got mad when I said I'd read on the internet I should be worried about carbon. They are ordering a new one and will put it on later. I squished my Dad into the 152 and he was NOT comfortable, so the 172 / muffler thing was no longer an issue. Ceilings (just a gray sky, IFR all over CA) were only 1600 feet or less so we flew a low level pattern twice and ducked under the clouds. I stayed legal but didn't want to remain grounded on such a stable but crappy day. No rain, good visibility, just low ceilings.

He is one of those Dads you can never do anything right / good enough for.

So to hear HIM - an ex air force multi engine pilot - say I was relaxed, always in control of the airplane, great landings etc.... was AWESOME. I know we didn't get to fly but I let him do a little taxi and if we had flown the real flight he might have been able to help in the air. I didn't let him this time since the weather was iffy, I was flying a non standard pattern, and with his weight the plane wasn't climbing that well (He's 215 pounds and six feet tall). I was "busy" the whole time and it wasn't the time to let him do much. Straight and level that is a different story. So one day I will fly with him again, and he is even going to try to convince his wife!

Congratulations, Kimberly! I hope that this was the first of many flights that you two can take together.

Kim, First its Carbon Monoxide (CO) not carbon. Second, I wouldn't get concerned just because the FBO is doing a 100 hr. Its a requirement and they are obviously addressing some needed Mx issues which IMHO is a good thing. Finally avoid saying to anyone, A&P, lawyer, Doctor, IT guy, plumber whoever anything that starts with the phrase " I read on the internet that ......" It often sets the wrong tone. Good on you for your concern for safety but it might go a little smoother if you said something like. " Oh did they find any exahust leaks when the worked on the muffler?

Its just that invoking the internet is rarely a good thing your curiosity is however a very good thing.

Hope you had a good time with your dad.

I was using Carbon as a shortcut. Of course I didn't say "carbon" out loud.

And you're right, they've always been anti internet.

Whenever I mention something that someone on here said to me, I always say "One of my friends told me that____" That usually warrants a postive response, or atleast a response.

...or I read about (blah, blah)
NEVER EVER say you got it online. Everybody knows you can't learn anything online.

Back