Tesla Pickup Unveil

What a hideous chud of a vehicle. Definitely has notes of when a DeLorean, Vector, and Honda Ridgeline has a three way. Bed looks unusable for normal weekender stuff (4x8 plywood, reaching in for tools, etc). Interior is hideous including the steering wheel, the video monitor rear view mirror is an awful idea as well. If you’re going to use a video feed, put it in the dash or console displays. I don’t need the light of a screen at eye-level at night (or ever). As was mentioned, gooseneck/fifth wheel hauling is likely out of the question.

If this isn’t some kind of joke by Musk just to drum up hype, its a hard pass for the American truck buyer. Can’t see it remotely unseating the likes of Ford/GM/Dodge in the light truck market.

I can’t believe this is serious. Was Musk smoking the wacky weed again and put in charge of vehicle design? Looks like it was designed by a 9 year old. They’ve basically created a niche truck.

And the comments on FB I’ve been reading about a cool 80s movie throwback. No, this is a poor representation of an 80s movie car. I love the Delorean. This isn’t even remotely close to a Delorean. It does remind me a little bit of the car in The Last Starfighter but that’s not really a design that’s particularly attractive either.

Anyone have the Cd number on this thing?

"Production forecast for late 2022"

What is that in Elon time? About 2030?

My GF last night said to me "Musk has never once gotten his crap together, so when he says late 2022, that in reality is 2035 to 2040".

• Good point. Our Flex drops from 22 mpg to 11 mpg when towing a 21’ travel trailer. My guess is that range would be cut roughly in half, on average, when towing.

For us a typical trip is 3 dirt bikes in the truck bed, and then hooked up to our 30' Arctic Fox trailer, full of food, water, propane, clothes etc it is usually around 9200 lbs ready to go, 3 people and our great dane in the cab. We have many roads that have long mountain passes that are extremely steep, no not those 8% grades that some people call steep, but they really aren't. In winter when its just dumped 2 feet of snow, i hook up to the enclosed 4 place snowmobile trailer, which has our 3 long track mountain sleds in it, and I tow them to the extreme mountain trail unloading areas, where we go ride the steep and deep. I doubt that it would ever make it to the riding area, much less make it back to. I can haul a 4x8 sheet of plywood with the tailgate closed, or 4000 pounds of concrete paver blocks the GF wanted to build a path way. Like you, I own a truck, because I need a truck, in the summer unless hauling or towing I drive my car. I don't think the musk mobile will ever appeal to people like us who really need a pickup, its for the soccer mom crowd, and mall crawlers. If i did have one of those, my first stop would be to a paint shop, and have it painted as a shark, it might not look so ugly if painted like a mad shark.

With hundreds of thousands of happy customers driving his snake-oil electric cars. Pleeeeeeeze ... there's a difference between a snake oil salesman and a disruptor.
Indeed there is a difference. He’s a snake oil salesman. Even a bottle of castor oil sold as a cure all will cure someone with constipation. Doesn’t make it a cure all.

Some random thoughts in no particular order.

1. You're not going to easily lose it in the Costco parking lot.
2. If you do, Tesla's "Come to Daddy" mode will probably work better than the Model 3...this thing will just drive over anything in the way.
3. With that "A-frame" shape it'll save having to brush the snow off the roof.
4. Comes in any color you want, as long as it's stainless.
5. Scare the dickens out of pre-schoolers..."Mommy, mommy, there's something in the garage eating my tricycle".
6. Is there a built-in Flamethrower option?
7. If you recharge the ATV enough times on a hunting trip do you have to ride it home because the truck is dead?
8. About time there was something for those drivers bored with their Hummer.

You forgot one:
No need for keys or locks because no one would steal it.

I wouldn't own one of those if I could fit 10 up my azz.

Edit for clarification: It means it is completely worthless and of no use even if free. It's a saying from years ago, nothing to do with anything sexual or of insertion.

Last edited:
Looks like a Delorean and El Camino had a love child that grew up to be a meathead football jock but was left back a few years in shcool...

Was stoked on everything it was pumped up to be and was ready to plunk down a deposit...until I saw it.

I am all for innovation and was looking forward to the new design, but that thing is fugly IMO.

My first thought was "That is not a truck..."

Last edited:
Indeed there is a difference. He’s a snake oil salesman. Even a bottle of castor oil sold as a cure all will cure someone with constipation. Doesn’t make it a cure all.

While he is pie int he sky lots of the time, Musk is doing for electric cars what Starbucks did for coffee and making coffee shops mainstream where few existed.

The steering wheel isn’t for aerodynamics. That 100% aesthetics. And unusable.
You don’t have to make the thing with straight lines to make it aerodynamic.

I had a similar steering wheel on a buggy and Slingshot. Takes a little getting used to (especially on tail of the dragon), but functional and comfortable. It also gives a clearer view of panel.

026.JPG 045.JPG IMG_6660.JPG

Inspired by DeLorean.

That was my first thought too.

I'd be curious about how the specs pan out in real life. If production is another 3 years out per their plan then reality is this is still a concept car with projected specs, which as we all know tend to be optimistic. Then there's what you can claim vs. what it should actually do. Of course they claim specs higher than the F-150 does, but that doesn't mean it'll do those well. The newer F-150s are the first line of 1/2-ton pickups I've seen that can actually tow pretty much anything worth a damn.

That said, some of the features on it are cool. The built-in ramp is huge, and the air suspension does offer some benefits although long term will create maintenance issues (I can say this as the owner/previous owner of 3 different air suspension vehicles - 100% of which have had problems with the air suspension). If they can execute on those, they'll sell some.

Well that's a weird thing to say. Why would how many you can shove up your butt have any affect on if you would buy something?

It means it is completely worthless and of no use even if free. It's a saying from years ago, nothing to do with anything sexual or of insertion.

What I don’t understand is, there were some really nice Tesla Truck renderings online. What the heck was wrong with those? It’s like the chief designer took a boyhood love of LEGO cars and pinewood derby racers and thought a full scale version would be nice.

What I don’t understand is, there were some really nice Tesla Truck renderings online. What the heck was wrong with those? It’s like the chief designer took a boyhood love of LEGO cars and pinewood derby racers and thought a full scale version would be nice.

It'll be interesting to see how much the final production matches the original unveiling. Tesla might not be marketing this as a concept car like the big 3 would, but at this stage it is. Make a product that's different, throw out a bunch of features, see what gets the most response and go from there.

I agree the thing is hideous, but it is somewhat reminiscent of some modern warships.

6AE06C94-E7D9-4DBF-8D2A-6EDCB92E1BEA.jpeg

And bringing this back to aviation, there are also some similarities with the Facetmobile.

8D2D3D1B-CE0E-43E6-B33D-837EAB1E0A0E.png

I hope this thing is some sort of joke and the real truck when it comes along in a couple of years looks more normal.

I hope he equips it with a solar panel if anyone is going to take it into the back country.

Current solar panel technology that could fit on the cybertruck is hardly going to make a dent in Tesla battery capacity. You are looking at a few hundred watts of power at best for 6 hours of good sun a day on a fixed panel into a battery of tens of thousand of watt-hours.

It kinda looks like they forgot to remove the camouflage panels that some manufacturers put on their newest models during road tests.

What a hideous chud of a vehicle.
I’m a bit late to the party, but geez, no kidding. Dad had CNBC on a few minutes ago and they did a short news blip of it. Looks like something out of Back to the Future. Elon is a bit early for April fools...:rolleyes:

I agree the thing is hideous, but it is somewhat reminiscent of some modern warships.

View attachment 80001

And bringing this back to aviation, there are also some similarities with the Facetmobile.

View attachment 80003

Wainfan's Facetmobile came to my mind as well.
But it also bears some resemblance to the Wittman Tailwind, sans wing and struts:

Tailwind-500x500.jpg

I knew it looked familiar.

arkii.jpg

>>>
For millions of years, Earth was fertile and rich. Then pollution and waste began to take their toll. Civilization fell into ruin. This is the world of the 25th century. Only a handful of scientists remain, men who have vowed to rebuild what has been destroyed. This is their achievement: Ark II, a mobile storehouse of scientific knowledge, manned by a highly trained crew of young people. Their mission: to bring the hope of a new future to mankind.
<<<

Thinking about it more, this might just be what Elon was aiming for!

Last edited:
Looks like a Delorean and El Camino had a love child that grew up to be a meathead football jock but was left back a few years in shcool...

Was stoked on everything it was pumped up to be and was ready to plunk down a deposit...until I saw it.

I am all for innovation and was looking forward to the new design, but that thing is fully IMO.

My first thought was "That is not a truck..."

But at least it has unbreakable windows.

Oh right they break extremely easy as well...

Mark Patey put out a video discussing why he bought one.
Also he mentioned that he accidentally bought 2 not because he wanted 2 but because he accidentally hit the buy button twice.

But he is going to go ahead and keep em both.

I want that kind of money.

I want to see towing in the mountains here, how far it will really go towing my travel trailer. It will probably need to stop and be recharged so often that a normal one day drive would take a week.

It'll certainly get less than rated range, but you can expect that whatever percentage hit you take in your gas mileage will be about the same hit to range, or somewhat less if you have a lot of stop & go or hills because of regen.

I spent quite some time wondering if Elon wasn’t pranking us with a prop from Blade Runner*, and would shortly reveal the real Tesla Pickup.

Me too! I never actually saw Blade Runner but I was wondering if it was an actual thing from the movie and then they were going to bring the real one out.

Sadly, the need is there, like Musk said in the beginning of the presentation, to electrify pickup trucks to solve the energy problem in the US. Our top three vehicles by sales in this country are all pickups. So, he articulated the need quite well - And then showed us a product that will not meet that need because nobody who buys a Big Three pickup today is going to buy a Cybrtrk or whatever it's going to be called.

The demo of the strength of the glass deserves to be in the Failed Demo Hall of Fame. Like a lawyer should never ask a witness a question he doesn’t know the answer to, a CEO shouldn’t have metal balls hurled at his truck’s windows until he KNOWS the outcome. Especially if the prototype is destined to sit behind him for the balance of the demo event. SAD!

Yep... But clearly the glass that wasn't on the truck itself did not break, so I saw some speculation that they had already tested throwing the metal ball at it several times, and just had the bad luck that the time it finally broke was during the demo. Definitely not one of their finer moments, though.

Maybe Tesla should focus on improving its build consistency, service and part availability, and model 3 production numbers before embarking on its third yet-to-be-released project (the roadster and 18 wheeler truck remember)?

Except they have. They've done a couple of test runs in Gigafactory 3 (China) already, with production slated to start there by year end, and I haven't heard of any problems with build consistency in several months now. "Tesla got a little better at something" isn't news, but if you look at where they are now versus where they were a year, two years, three years ago they've made great strides every year.

My opinion (and I'm obviously a Tesla fan). Ok, ugly. But put a wrap on it.

Lipstick on a pig. Nobody makes a de-uglifying wrap.

a) You can't put a 5th wheel or gooseneck hitch on that bed.

Why not?

c) Can't put a camper over that bed. The haul capacity is also too small for most campers due to the SRW.

Are you referring to fifth wheels, or regular travel trailers? I don't know much about the fifth wheel ones because that's not what I want, but it seems like it should handle a regular ball-hitch travel trailer OK.

The steering wheel isn’t for aerodynamics. That 100% aesthetics. And unusable.

Why? :dunno:

It'll certainly be hard to pack an air bag in there, but we all "drive" things in the sky with yoke-type steering wheels, I don't know why you couldn't make it work in a ground-pounder. Add some power boost and give it the same travel as most airplanes...

Lets hear some range numbers while it's actually towing... Or did I miss that?

How would you rate that, though? It depends greatly on what you're towing.

Anyone have the Cd number on this thing?

I'm pretty curious about that as well. Tesla normally makes their vehicles super low drag so they can get more range out of smaller batteries. With all those angles, it doesn't look low drag at all... But it does kind of have a stealth fighter look to it, so who knows.

My GF last night said to me "Musk has never once gotten his crap together, so when he says late 2022, that in reality is 2035 to 2040".

Even fanboys give him crap for "Elon Time" but it seems he's learning his lesson. They've already moved up the Model Y release date. This may make it out in 2022.

For us a typical trip is 3 dirt bikes in the truck bed, and then hooked up to our 30' Arctic Fox trailer, full of food, water, propane, clothes etc it is usually around 9200 lbs ready to go, 3 people and our great dane in the cab. We have many roads that have long mountain passes that are extremely steep, no not those 8% grades that some people call steep, but they really aren't. In winter when its just dumped 2 feet of snow, i hook up to the enclosed 4 place snowmobile trailer, which has our 3 long track mountain sleds in it, and I tow them to the extreme mountain trail unloading areas, where we go ride the steep and deep. I doubt that it would ever make it to the riding area, much less make it back to.

Why not?

If i did have one of those, my first stop would be to a paint shop, and have it painted as a shark, it might not look so ugly if painted like a mad shark.

:rofl: That's a great idea! :thumbsup:

Yes. I was kinda hoping for this one, and the invite seemed to indicate something similar:

tesla-truck-render.jpg

Elon just confirmed on Twitter that this will be an option:

View attachment 80002

That took at least one person I know from "OMG that is the ugliest thing ever" to placing an order for one in the space of under an hour. Might be cool for Oshkosh.

I hope he equips it with a solar panel if anyone is going to take it into the back country.
Current solar panel technology that could fit on the cybertruck is hardly going to make a dent in Tesla battery capacity. You are looking at a few hundred watts of power at best for 6 hours of good sun a day on a fixed panel into a battery of tens of thousand of watt-hours.

I analyzed this idea on a Model S a while back, and came to the conclusion that even if you covered the entire surface of the car with solar panels, you'd only get about 7 miles of range per DAY if it was parked in full sun from sunrise to sunset. Unless you have a giant, roll-up solar array that you can unfurl in the wilderness (and not under trees), this idea is a non-starter.

Back