Tesla Model 3 - Now I get the hype.

Discussion in 'Hangar Talk' started by flyingcheesehead, Nov 9, 2018.

1. schmookeeg

schmookeeg Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mike Brannigan
    The State of Oregon paid me $5,000 to lease my i3, on top of the fed's $7,500 -- net, it worked out to about $6 per day to drive the thing for 2 years. Half of their incentive was because I didn't bother to draw W2 income in Oregon last year... it's just grand to be poor. :D

They've indicated that I'll be paying a $110 extra every 4 years on my car registration to compensate the loss of their road taxes. So they should have their money back in about 200 years. :eek:

2. JOhnH

JOhnH Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Spun Out
    You happen to be right on almost all points. Almost.
    But for one thing, we have two practically new vehicles now and we have always tended to buy new and hold for about 10 years. So we really wouldn't be in the market for a while, but I am sure that when we sell the BMW, our next car will be a Tesla.

For another thing, we would not argue over who drives it. Or rather the argument would go like this:

Me: I think I'll take the Tesla today.
    Her: No you won't because I'm taking it.
    Me: Oh. Ok.

(yeah, I'm PW'd).

deonb and Dav8or like this.
  3. tspear

tspear Pattern Altitude PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Timothy
    Missed my point. He wanted to spend a lot for capability he never uses. I was asking why do we do this?
    You see some of this in how people talk about Tesla and other electric vehicles.

Tim

4. Zeldman

Zeldman Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Billy
    Empty Gatorade bottles..?? :lol::lol:

5. Dav8or

Dav8or Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dave
    I totally get the buy and hold for ten years thing. My wife and I do the same thing. I hope to keep my Bolt 10 years. My last car I held for 12 years before buying the Bolt and still have it because it does the one thing the Bolt can't. The top goes down. However, an electric car is significant enough that you will forgive yourself for breaking that rule. Just saying'. Life is too short.

6. JOhnH

Display Name:

Display name:
    Spun Out
    You are probably right (about life being too short). I'll be almost 75 when it comes time to buy my next car, and that car just may be a wheel chair. Maybe I'll break the rule and buy the Tesla before I turn 70. I'll probably need a self-driver by then.

flyingcheesehead and Dav8or like this.
  7. Juliet Hotel

Juliet Hotel Cleared for Takeoff PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Juliet Hotel
    You don't need a gas powered vehicle to be able to do that because gas stations are readily available and it takes 10 minutes or less to fill up at one. When charging stations are as common as gas stations and when they are able to top up the batteries in about 5 minutes (the time it typically takes to actually pump the gas into the tank now), then it will be an apples/apples comparison. But that's not where we're at today. So for now, building electric vehicles with very long range is the only way to make them viable for some people/mission profiles.

SoCal RV Flyer likes this.
  8. Juliet Hotel

Juliet Hotel Cleared for Takeoff PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Juliet Hotel
    Human nature thing? People sometimes set goals based on who they wish they were rather than who they actually are. Nordic Track has become a quite successful company because of this. You buy it as exercise equipment, you use it as a place to hang shirts.

Dav8or, 1RTK1 and Zeldman like this.
  9. tspear

tspear Pattern Altitude PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Timothy
    Hey, I used my row machine this morning! :D

Tim

10. scottfromboston

scottfromboston Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Scott
    May as well use it. It’s a terrible laundry rack.

Pool tables work a lot better. :)

tspear likes this.
  11. Dav8or

Dav8or Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dave
    Do it!! You will not regret it and you will say that it's the best car you ever owned. I say this not as a Tesla fan, as I have never even driven one and have no plans to buy one, but as and electric car fan. I have not drunk the Tesla branded Kool-Aid, but I have swilled the more plebeian BEV moonshine and I am hooked. Be forewarned. So will you.

12. JOhnH

Display Name:

Display name:
    Spun Out
    Ok, I just about have Leslie talked into this. She really wants one (a Tesla) but is hesitant to sell her BMW.

But,
    Which one? I am thinking about maybe buying used for a change. Tesla has a reputation for updating older cars with newer technologies, but I recently heard there will be no "refresh" for older Teslas.

Which Tesla's can be upgraded to autopilot? Does that have to be a new one?

Model S or Model X. How many corners were cut to make the less expensive model?

What is the best way to find a good used Tesla? I once heard there were brokers that specialized in this.

13. wayne

wayne Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    wayne
    I have yet to spend anywhere near $40k on a car. I'm currently driving a Mustang Convertible and previously a BMW 328i Coupe. That's the lowest price Model 3 ($39,900). No extras. No fancy wheels, no long range, no performance, no premium interior, basic black color, no self-driving, nothing. Not sure if the delivery charge is included or not. Make changes and it can quickly turn into a $60k car or more.

I expect to spend no more than that on my next two cars combined. Probably less.

I would be a great candidate for an electric vehicle. I drive ~8k miles a year, but that may go up as my my commute is 15 miles each way now instead of 10 miles each way (just moved), and could be less if I took slower surface streets; the interstate is a quicker and easier route. That means I won't see as much "gas savings" as many people as I don't drive as many miles. I have a garage and the electrical panel is in the garage, so easy to add a new 220 v circuit to charge the car. My wife and I each have a car, so we could easily have one ICE car for trips, plus we typically fly for long trips, so we might be able to have two BEVs.

But not at that price.

And I'm not going from driving a 328i and Mustang Convertible to a Chevy Bolt. o_O

14. SoonerAviator

SoonerAviator En-Route PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    SoonerAviator
    Eh, I'd wait on the Tesla, personally. The major auto mfgs will have a slew of competition for the Model 3/S/X coming in the next 2-3 years. Tesla is enjoying it's time as one of the industry leaders, but I don't know how much they'll be leading in terms of volume of EV sales in a few years once Ford/GM/VW/etc get their EV models on the road.

15. JOhnH

Display Name:

Display name:
    Spun Out
    I see your point, but a few things come to mind.
    First, I am 67. If I wait too many more years, I probably won't ever buy a motorized computer.

Also, that is pretty much the excuse/reason I used a few years ago when I bought my wife the BMW. But there are ALWAYS better things coming soon, especially in the tech world, and if you keep waiting for the next best thing, you will always be waiting.

FastEddieB likes this.
  16. SoonerAviator

SoonerAviator En-Route PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    SoonerAviator
    Well, if time is of the essence then by all means grab a used Tesla. For those who are casually looking for an EV in the next few years, I'd bide my time to see what else comes out. I don't base that on "waiting for the next big tech item", I base it on increased competition in the market segment. Teslas seem to have a decent product, but from an appearance standpoint they miss the mark for me. I'd hope that the bigger mfgs can come out with something a bit more aggressive in appearance with the same performance benchmarks. It's like being use to owning a convertible Mustang and having to settle for buying a Toyota Camry.

17. flyingcheesehead

flyingcheesehead Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    iMooniac
    Hi John,

Autopilot is so integrated into the car that, according to Elon Musk (and I believe him on this one), it is easier to build an entire new car than it is to retrofit all the hardware and wiring required to outfit an existing one.

There are two main iterations of Autopilot: The original "Autopilot hardware 1" was added to the Model S in 2014. This was when Tesla was working with a third party (Mobileye). It is somewhat limited, it's basically a combination of Autosteer and Traffic Aware Cruise Control (which is starting to become common on other cars). It is good for highway driving and that's about it, it will not be updated further.

The newer "Autopilot Hardware 2" has eight cameras and needs only a computer upgrade (which will be available soon) to be able to do full self-driving when the software and regulatory approvals are available - Later this year and who knows, respectively. The Model S and Model X started having Hardware 2 in about September of 2016. The easiest way to spot whether a car has this is to look at the little side light right in front of the driver's door, behind and above the front wheel. If there's a camera there, it's a Hardware 2 car.

The Tesla Model 3s all have at least "Hardware 2.5"; The very newest cars shipping now I think have Hardware 3 which contains the Tesla-designed chip that will be required to enable full self driving features. All Hardware 2 and Hardware 2.5 cars can be upgraded to Hardware 3; the important part is just having all the cameras and wiring present.

I think you're confusing something with regards to Model S and X. Neither of those is the "less expensive model". The S is a full-size sedan, the X is a mid-size SUV. They're similar in dimensions except height. The X is the one with the falcon wing doors.

The "less expensive model" is the Model 3, a mid-size sedan. The main differences there are:

* S has a hatchback while 3 has a trunk
    * S is physically larger
    * S is all aluminum while 3 has some steel components like a normal car.
    * 3 was designed for extreme aerodynamic efficiency so that it can use a smaller battery than the S. The long range S has a 100kWh battery, while the long range 3's battery is about 80kWh. That allows the 3 to have nearly the same range as the S (310 vs. 335 miles) while having a 20% smaller battery, since the battery is the most expensive part of building the car that is the major thing enabling the lower price.
    * S has two screens: LCD "dashboard" as well as center 17" portrait LCD display for infotainment and various car control functions (heat, stereo, etc). The 3 has a single, center-mounted 15" landscape display for all of the above. This is one thing that people think is weird after looking at pictures, but I found to be quite natural almost right away.

The S and X have also been given options that aren't available on the 3, like a driver-controllable smart air suspension, "Bioweapon Defense Mode", and some others like the self-presenting door handles on the S and the self-opening doors on the X. So overall, I wouldn't say that Tesla "cut any corners" with the 3, but they're clearly trying to maintain the differentiation with the S and X to justify the higher price.

For used ones, I would recommend that you just go with one straight from Tesla for your first one. Any other dealer will not only not know exactly what they're selling you in most cases, they will be unable to support it after purchase and they will not have been able to fix any squawks before selling it to you. In addition, Tesla's customer retention is stellar - Somewhere in the 90%+ range - so most of the ones that they don't have are ones that people didn't like for some reason (red flag #1) and/or have been shuffled around between dealers/auctioneers and sat unplugged for who knows how long. Once you've had your first Tesla and know better what to look for, then it'd be OK to look at those being sold elsewhere.

Start here: https://www.tesla.com/inventory/used
    Or, if you want more search options and/or alerts when new ones that meet your parameters pop up: https://ev-cpo.com/hunter/

AggieMike88 and JOhnH like this.
  18. AggieMike88

AggieMike88 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
    *pout* I can only hit the like button once on Kent's last post.

flyingcheesehead likes this.