Tesla crash

Darwin Award candidates...

Thankfully they didn't injure or kill anyone else.

Last edited:
I thought Teslas checked for torque on the steering wheel while the autopilot was engaged to make sure the driver had their hands on the wheel? I'm sure there are ways around it (a weight hanging on the wheel?) or maybe the passenger reached over to the wheel enough to satisfy the autopilot.

Last edited:
Putting water on lithium?

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0379711219307180

It was found from these experiments that water spray can effectively extinguish 21700 LIB fires and reduce the maximum surface temperature of LIB. But the water spray has no significant difference in cooling rate after temperature recovery. The contact efficiency between the water spray and batteries decreased with the increase in water pressure. With sufficient volume of water spray and high contact efficiency, water spray can inhibit the thermal runaway propagation. With insufficient volume of water spray or low contact efficiency, the time to onset of thermal runaway was delayed.

Lithium is like sodium - it's very reactive with water.

(checks the statute of limitations)

Back when I was in high school, we got to learn about such things in the controlled chemistry lab experiments. Except that - as the story goes - someone took a much larger chunk of the stuff from the lab and flushed it down a urinal in the mens room, which promptly blew itself off the wall. This story was legend in the school (happened a couple of years before my time). I don't even remember whodunit.

Back