"TERPS" note on new Jepp plates

HPNPilot1200

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jason
I recently noticed "TERPS" in a black box in the upper left hand corner of the minimums block on certain Jeppesen terminal procedures. Any thoughts? I have a feeling that this signifies that the approach complies with the latest TERPS criteria but I am not sure. This approach (ILS or LOC RWY 36 OXC) was recently updated in December 2011.

See below:

attachment.php

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    191.2 KB · Views: 116
The intended recipients of this information are probably foreign customers of Jepp who fly in areas of operation where the slightly different ICAO criteria are in use.

I believe Weilke has it correct. That way, a pilot flying into a foreign country, say S Korea, can see whether the chart is IAW the US Terps manual, or the ICAO PansOps.

I believe Weilke has it correct. That way, a pilot flying into a foreign country, say S Korea, can see whether the chart is IAW the US Terps manual, or the ICAO PansOps.

If that's the reason it seems superfluous on this plate as all IAPs in the US are IAW the US TERPS Manual.

According to the glossary for Jepp charts, this denotes that the table for aircraft appraoch categorys (A/B/C/D) follows the TERPS convention. The terps table is pretty straightforward with 5 categories of approach speeds based on Vref or 1.3 Vso. The pans-ops equivalent is a 7 collumn table with footnotes that gives ranges of speeds for approach, missed circling and holding (I guess that is what happens if you design by committee).

The TERPS or PANS-OPS designator in the left lower margin describes the criteria used for the design of the approach itself.

So I guess there may be the oddball approach in south america where the design was pans-ops but the minimums table is based on terps. They have examples in the glossary where the straight-in approaches are designed using pans-ops, the circling minima follow terps (with a separate notation of that fact in the 'circle to land' box.

Who would have known ?

Last edited:
According to the glossary for Jepp charts, this denotes that the table for aircraft appraoch categorys (A/B/C/D) follows the TERPS convention. The terps table is pretty straightforward with 5 categories of approach speeds based on Vref or 1.3 Vso. The pans-ops equivalent is a 7 collumn table with footnotes that gives ranges of speeds for approach, missed circling and holding (I guess that is what happens if you design by committee).

The TERPS or PANS-OPS designator in the left lower margin describes the criteria used for the design of the approach itself.

So I guess there may be the oddball approach in south america where the design was pans-ops but the minimums table is based on terps. They have examples in the glossary where the straight-in approaches are designed using pans-ops, the circling minima follow terps (with a separate notation of that fact in the 'circle to land' box.

Who would have known ?

Good lord, no kidding! I've been using Jepps for YEARS and I don't think I've ever noticed that.

What about the small note written vertically on the side "TERPS AMEND 14 25 AUG 2011"? Is there any significance to that? Or is that what you were saying describes the convention used for the approach itself?

So the follow up question is: who cares? Maybe there's a gap in my training here, but what does it matter to me if the approach or mins are Terps or Pan-Ops?

What about the small note written vertically on the side "TERPS AMEND 14 25 AUG 2011"? Is there any significance to that? Or is that what you were saying describes the convention used for the approach itself?

The way I read the glossary that one denotes which criteria were used to design the approach, there are like 4 revisions of PANS-OPS.

So the follow up question is: who cares? Maybe there's a gap in my training here, but what does it matter to me if the approach or mins are Terps or Pan-Ops?

Wally who used ot post here could probably quote you chapter and verse and relevant accidents as to why you should care. They use different obstacle free zones, allowable descent gradients etc. So if you come from a pans-ops world and you think that you have x meters of obstacle clearance if you are 3 dots off on the ILS but in fact you only have like 12 feet, it could ruin your day (terps assumes 25deg bank for circling approaches and pans-ops 20 or vice versa, affects the radius of the obstacle free zone required for a circling approach).

From Jeppesen:

The other TERPS badge, positioned horizontally in the upper left hand corner of the minimums box, is a new product specification designed to indicate when the landing minimums for that procedure have undergone the TERPS Change 20 conversion. TERPS Change 20 is a new set of criteria for determining minimums - designed by the FAA to closer harmonize with EU-OPS. The FAA is converting procedures on an as-revised basis, and Jeppesen is using the badge to indicate that the conversion has been completed.

First 'line up and wait', now this, what's next ? Designating airspace with letters from A-F ?

Spanish language becomes standard. :rolleyes:

We used to be the world leader at this stuff.... now we're just following western Europe, just like <redacted to keep this out of Spin Zone>

Back