Tents

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
So, what kind of tent do you all have/like? I'm trying to figure out what tent to take to OSH this year. Last time I camped there, the 2-man tent was way too small for two of us, so I'm looking for a 3-man tent that is lightweight, will fit under my wing and will have good ventilation and a rain fly that goes all the way to the ground all the way around, and perhaps a vestibule, and is not too expensive. Suggestions? :)

I have a six-man tent - I'll look at it tonight and find the manufacturer. It's very comfortable for a couple people. You want a rainfly that anchors to the ground, but so far in 6+ years with this tent (rainfly covers the open roof and overhangs door and windows) I've never had a problem with water getting in, even in severe storms.

This year I'll have Cath and Ciara with me for a few days, and I'm looking at buying a bigger 8 man tent. Since I'm driving, I don't need it to be as light as my smaller tents, and the Coleman Instant 8 looks good except it has no rain fly. Then again it's heavy enough material with a solid roof that it probably won't need one.

Given the preponderance of thunderstorms, I suggest a backpacking tent that is both low and has a rain fly the covers it completely. I purchased a Sierra Designs three man tent from a backpacking site that fit two nicely and is very strong. Sierratraingpost.com, campmor.com, and the REI outlet are all good places to get tents.

I don't recommend cheap tents from Cabellas and the like. They tend to be tall, and use fiberglass poles that can snap under tension when the tent is caught by the wind. Moreover, they don't come with sealed seams, so they will leak if not treated. They also don't come with very good rain protection, so that during a strong storm rain can hit the walls of the tent and find its way in.

On a somewhat contrary view to Steingar, backpacking tents are often made to be light, and they generally don't get bigger than three-person sizes without getting into the issues he mentions such as being tall and having stability issues.

Any six-man or bigger tent is going to have a certain amount of height to it. A good tent will be one that you can stake down, guy out (with separate guys for the rain fly), and with sealed seams. If you take away "lightness" as a criteria, then you can get some tents made from heavier fabric that will stand up to the weather very well.

If you guy out your tent properly, then it won't move as much and the wind stress gets absorbed by the guys, and NOT the poles.

Anything cheap. Put a tarp over the top of the wing, tent underneath, and you are all set. Let the tarp keep most of the rain off and have the tent keep the bugs out.

A 2 person plane is really a 1 person plane, a 4 seater is really a 2 seater, a six seater a four seater. Same with tents. Personally, I'm a sprawler, so I need like a 4 man to myself.

The 1 we used when we camped with the 170, sears surplus many years ago.

Attachments

• Tent.JPG
    Tent.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 27
  • Tent 1.JPG
    Tent 1.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Tent 2.JPG
    Tent 2.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 15
I think our current tent is a Coleman 4+ man from Wal-Mart. It has a rainfly that goes to the ground and attaches to the tent poles, but has places to put extra tie-downs if necessary (haven't use the extra tie-downs so far). The rainfly also extends out a little from the front 'door', so you have a little awning for keeping other stuff out of the sun/weather but not inside the tent.

We have used it in the cool weather at 6Y9 on Labor Day and have used it in the hot weather at 6Y9 on Labor Day. :) I also used it camping at the Okefenokee Swamp about a month ago. So far, it has done well to keep use both cool and warm when necessary.

Taller tents have a bad habit of blowing over in heavy wind, like the ones that come with the thunderstorms which always seem to happen at Oshkosh. Not so much the lower rising backpacking tents. My aircraft tends to get heavily loaded on such trips, so I've always paid a premium price for a lightweight backpacking tent. I do agree with the sentiment that three man tent is truly a two man tent, and so forth. I had a one man tent that worked fine for years, until I lost it off the back of the motorcycle. Pity, I miss that tent.

WHATEVER tent you end up using, do not rely on those lightweight L shaped cheap tent stakes that come with it. Get you a hammer and go to an army surplus store and buy military surplus tent stakes.. They are made of angled aluminum and have tangs. The tent will fail before the stakes do. Old trick I learned from Dad from his army days, and have used it for the past 30 years.

The room in the OSH house I stay in:

1. Is tall enough so that a normal human can stand erect
2. Has a bed so I don't have to sleep on the floor
3. Has never leaked during a rainstorm, at least when I've been there
4. Has a back hall with pegs for backpacks
5. Has hot-and-cold running water
6. Has color TV and WIFI
7. Has continental breakfast, wine & snacks and a couple of cookouts
8. Provides drop-offs and pickups, use of the car for errands and stuff

and hasn't blown over a single time in all the years I've been there.

The room in the OSH house I stay in:

1. Is tall enough so that a normal human can stand erect
2. Has a bed so I don't have to sleep on the floor
3. Has never leaked during a rainstorm, at least when I've been there
4. Has a back hall with pegs for backpacks
5. Has hot-and-cold running water
6. Has color TV and WIFI
7. Has continental breakfast, wine & snacks and a couple of cookouts
8. Provides drop-offs and pickups, use of the car for errands and stuff

and hasn't blown over a single time in all the years I've been there.

And you are not woken up at the crack of dawn by an F18 doing a cobra maneuver on take-off with full afterburner. You can't sit at your campsite drinking your beer watching every kind of aircraft ever made take off right in front of you. You won't enjoy the evening company of your fellow aviation enthusiasts sharing beer, booze and lies. Your loss.

No, it's my gain by awakening refreshed at the time of my choosing every morning after a good night's sleep in conditions similar to those I prefer the other 362 days of the year. At the crack of dawn, I'll take the hum of a ceiling fan to the roar of an afterburner every time, and a 10-step hike to the whiz rather than a quarter-mile schlep carrying my bag of shave-shower stuff. And you're wrong--again--about the company. I'll put the diverse group who share these neighborhood houses with any you can dredge up from the unwashed masses, with the added benefit that we can all go to bed in privacy when we've had enough conversation and/or adult beverages. Your loss.

And you are not woken up at the crack of dawn by an F18 doing a cobra maneuver on take-off with full afterburner. You can't sit at your campsite drinking your beer watching every kind of aircraft ever made take off right in front of you. You won't enjoy the evening company of your fellow aviation enthusiasts sharing beer, booze and lies. Your loss.

No, it's my gain by awakening refreshed at the time of my choosing every morning after a good night's sleep in conditions similar to those I prefer the other 362 days of the year...

Wayne's idea of roughing it is staying at a hotel with only white towels...:rofl:

Is there any chance the NTSB will use this thread as evidence of deficiencies in pilot judgement and decision-making?

"She said what?"

"If I'm lying I'm dying, cross-my-heart-and-hope-to-die, she said she likes to sleep on the ground under the wing of an airplane during a thunderstorm."

"YGBSM"

Thanks for the offer! But, I really like sleeping under my wing, even in a storm. :)

Diana,
If you get a chance go over to Springfield and stop by the Bass Pro Outlet store, its on the south side of the Big Store. They have a good selection of tents at pretty good prices. You can go over to the Big Store where they are put up and try them out for size. Then check the Outlet Store to see if they have the one you want.

My 6-person tent turns out to be a Eureka made for Galyans, and was probably the Sunshine 6 model.

I just ordered a Coleman Montana 8 for this year's OSH with the family. There'll be room in one of the wings for POA folks if need be on Monday-Thursday.

I have a two person tent from Gaylans (now Dick's Sporting Goods) and a 3 person tent from REI. The three person tent is ideal for aircamping with a buddy. The two person is good for camping with the wife. If I'd bought the 3 person tent first, I wouldn't have bought the two person.

Both tents have two doors, and are light, tough, waterproof, wind resistant, mosquito resistant, and fairly expensive. Neither has enough headroom for standing. That helps with weight and wind resistance, but means you've gotta kneel/bend/etc to get in/out.

The Dick's tent (Actually its REI equivalent):

http://www.rei.com/product/761893/rei-quarter-dome-t2-tent

The REI 3 person tent:

http://www.rei.com/product/761895/rei-quarter-dome-t3-tent

Wayne's idea of roughing it is staying at a hotel with only white towels...:rofl:
:rofl:

Is there any chance the NTSB will use this thread as evidence of deficiencies in pilot judgement and decision-making?

"She said what?"

"If I'm lying I'm dying, cross-my-heart-and-hope-to-die, she said she likes to sleep on the ground under the wing of an airplane during a thunderstorm."

"YGBSM"
:D I spent the night at Barb's cabin in the woods last night and we were talking about you, over a few glasses of wine. I even read this post to her and we laughed. And then her bull wandered by. ;)

I was just looking at those. The one I kinda like is on sale at REI for $50 off. Hmmmm.

Diana,
If you get a chance go over to Springfield and stop by the Bass Pro Outlet store, its on the south side of the Big Store. They have a good selection of tents at pretty good prices. You can go over to the Big Store where they are put up and try them out for size. Then check the Outlet Store to see if they have the one you want.
Dean, I may have to do that. I need to get some more MRE's anyway. Are you going to OSH this year?

:rofl:

:D I spent the night at Barb's cabin in the woods last night and we were talking about you, over a few glasses of wine. I even read this post to her and we laughed. And then her bull wandered by. ;)

*ahem* Striking resemblence, wouldn't you say? I'm sure he would agree that pasture thistles can be hazardous during hot summers.

*ahem* Striking resemblence, wouldn't you say? I'm sure he would agree that pasture thistles can be hazardous during hot summers.
Well, yes, you might think that, but I was referencing the pile of brown stuff that he left on the ground. ;)

Looks like you're in luck.

EAA DAILY UPDATE for JULY 1, 2011

Hormel Foods Corporation (NYSE) and the Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA) have jointly announced an exciting new food product produced by Hormel exclusively for EAA’s annual Airventure fly-in held annually in Oshkosh, WI.
According to a jointly-issued statement made earlier today, the parties will co-sponsor the sale of “Buzz-brats” at this year’s aviation extravaganza.
Buzz-brats are made from a special recipe created especially for campers at the show, and feature DEET-flavored meat that acts as a multi-dimensional mosquito repellent. Campers are able to place the uncooked meat on the grill and allow the aroma from the DEET to waft over their campsites and eliminate the pesky Wisconsin mosquitos, most of which are of such size that they can stand flat-footed and hump a turkey.

Campers who prepare their meals at sundown, the traditional time for evening meals in the campgrounds, will be especially appreciative of an even higher level of protection provided by the increased aromatic intensity as the DEET is cooked and intense smoke is generated. Company officials state that the flavor of the Buzz-brats is slightly different than that of historical recipes, but those who have taste-tested the meat (at least those who have survived long enough to submit a report) have commented that “it’s not really all that bad once you get used to it.”

Finally, campers will notice a very pronounced after-effect of consuming Buzz-brats as they lie awake in their tents sweating through another typical hot muggy night on the ground. After approximately 3 hours from the time the Buzz-brats are consumed, the camper’s perspiration will contain sufficient quantities of DEET to prevent further attacks until morning. The organizations are hopeful that Buzz-bacon will be available prior to the opening of the 2011 airshow.

Looks like you're in luck.

EAA DAILY UPDATE for JULY 1, 2011

Hormel Foods Corporation (NYSE) and the Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA) have jointly announced an exciting new food product produced by Hormel exclusively for EAA’s annual Airventure fly-in held annually in Oshkosh, WI.
According to a jointly-issued statement made earlier today, the parties will co-sponsor the sale of “Buzz-brats” at this year’s aviation extravaganza.
Buzz-brats are made from a special recipe created especially for campers at the show, and feature DEET-flavored meat that acts as a multi-dimensional mosquito repellent. Campers are able to place the uncooked meat on the grill and allow the aroma from the DEET to waft over their campsites and eliminate the pesky Wisconsin mosquitos, most of which are of such size that they can stand flat-footed and hump a turkey.

Campers who prepare their meals at sundown, the traditional time for evening meals in the campgrounds, will be especially appreciative of an even higher level of protection provided by the increased aromatic intensity as the DEET is cooked and intense smoke is generated. Company officials state that the flavor of the Buzz-brats is slightly different than that of historical recipes, but those who have taste-tested the meat (at least those who have survived long enough to submit a report) have commented that “it’s not really all that bad once you get used to it.”

Finally, campers will notice a very pronounced after-effect of consuming Buzz-brats as they lie awake in their tents sweating through another typical hot muggy night on the ground. After approximately 3 hours from the time the Buzz-brats are consumed, the camper’s perspiration will contain sufficient quantities of DEET to prevent further attacks until morning. The organizations are hopeful that Buzz-bacon will be available prior to the opening of the 2011 airshow.
Wow! What a neat idea! I bet Hormel Foods will make a killing on their revolutionary new product! I wonder if I can pre-order me some of that there stuff???

Dean, I may have to do that. I need to get some more MRE's anyway. Are you going to OSH this year?

I would love to, but I am one employee down and another gave me a 7 day notice he will be leaving on the 10th. So it looks like I will be busy doing interviews and then training a new person.
Have fun and fly safe. We need to meet up at Cookies one of these evenings or you and Tom need to come down to the Lucky J.

I would love to, but I am one employee down and another gave me a 7 day notice he will be leaving on the 10th. So it looks like I will be busy doing interviews and then training a new person.
Sorry you won't be able to get away.

Have fun and fly safe. We need to meet up at Cookies one of these evenings or you and Tom need to come down to the Lucky J.
Let's do it! :yes:

Back