Temporary Steroid Use - Required to Report on Next Medical?

G

Guest123

I got a head cold last week and it has turned into severe bronchitis. The doctor has me on Prednisone 10mg, Albuterol 2 Doses, and Amoxicillin 875mg.

The Prednisone is going to be 60mg/50mg/40mg/etc for six days. The Pharmacy told me that at such a high dosage I will have some weird mental side effects as I’ve never taken it before. I looked it up for the FAA point of view and it’s a DO NOT ISSUE medication at the dosage I’m taking.

My question is that based on continual usage or any usage? Also do I have to report it on my next 2nd class medical exam?

The Pharmacy told me that at such a high dosage I will have some weird mental side effects as I’ve never taken it before.
I'm sorry I can't answer your question directly but I can say based secondhand experience that the Pharmacy's warning about side effects is one that should be heeded. Might be worth asking the prescribing doc how to deal with side effects, from minor to severe.

Nauga,
and several days of sheer hell

Not an AME but just self ground until you’re all better and no longer have side effects. Shouldn’t fly anyway with a head cold. I believe the do not issue is for continuing useage for autoimmune disease or whatever.

I’ve taken that stuff. It can have extremely…. Interesting… side effects at high doses. You do not want to fly while on it, unless the low maintenance dose I believe the FAA allows for chronic disease.

As to whether to report it, I’m not sure.

Last time I was on amoxicillin I barely got any sleep. It's on the list of minor side effects, but man, I was lucky if I got 3 hours a night.

One of the MDs can confirm or deny, but IIRC the dose of a predisone six pack is high enough to be reported.

I'd report it in the same section where you report your medical history since the last physical. "Went to doctor for head cold, treated with X, Y, Z" Grounded self until...

The FAA's "do not issue" admonition is (IMO) if you're taking it on an ongoing basis.

One of the MDs can confirm or deny, but IIRC the dose of a predisone six pack is high enough to be reported.
Any amount is reportable, but over 20mg is grounding. So basically ground yourself until you're done with the course of prednisone treatment.

Don't fly until you are better and off the drugs. Prednisone (event at low doses) can have pretty nasty psych effects. Once you're better from whatever it was prescribed for and you are off it, it's going to be a yawner at your next physical. My AME would say "you got better, right?" on those things.

On your next medical you have to report things you are CURRENTLY taking (which you should not go for the physical if you are taking it still) and any medical visits in the past three years.

I got a head cold last week and it has turned into severe bronchitis. The doctor has me on Prednisone 10mg, Albuterol 2 Doses, and Amoxicillin 875mg.

The Prednisone is going to be 60mg/50mg/40mg/etc for six days. The Pharmacy told me that at such a high dosage I will have some weird mental side effects as I’ve never taken it before. I looked it up for the FAA point of view and it’s a DO NOT ISSUE medication at the dosage I’m taking.

My question is that based on continual usage or any usage? Also do I have to report it on my next 2nd class medical exam?

I report the medical visits, the reason and medications I am currently prescribed.

Talk to your doc about side effects after stopping the steroids as well. From a high dose to nothing can cause severe drops in blood pressure.

I had a bronchitis doctor put me on the same prescription start out high and reduce down over 6 days. I asked the Pharmacy about side effects they said I would have none because it was only for 6 days. It worked great felt so much better could sleep at night no side effects.

This is your regular reminder that there's no question on Medxpress that requires listing all the prescriptions you had or drugs you've taken since your last medical.

Ground yourself while you're sick and while you're on the stuff and five half lives after. Disclose the bronchitis on your next Medxpres and answer the AME's resulting questions.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back