Temporary Intercom?

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
The 414's right side intercom doesn't work. No idea why. I'd like a way to be able to communicate with a co-pilot other than having one ear off.

I have two Zulus - if I put a standard 1/8" 4-section audio cable between the two, can we talk like I would if it were plugged into a cell phone? Any other ideas?

Maybe, never tried it, another idea is just to borrow a portable intercom, like you'd see in a champ or cub

Worse comes to worst ==>
Pen and Paper. Make believe you are IRA consulting a controller

You can probably get a portable unit for a couple of hundred bucks... :yes:

I bought a sigtronics SPO early on in my flying as planes at that time rarely had built in intercoms. Years later I pounced on a second for $40. Even after installing a panel mount in my plane it's come in handy. We've used it for ferrying other aircraft without intercoms (or even any avionics) and it's real fun to when going to a NASCAR race where we jack it into the scanner and we can talk to each other over the car noise.

I bought a sigtronics SPO early on in my flying as planes at that time rarely had built in intercoms. Years later I pounced on a second for $40. Even after installing a panel mount in my plane it's come in handy. We've used it for ferrying other aircraft without intercoms (or even any avionics) and it's real fun to when going to a NASCAR race where we jack it into the scanner and we can talk to each other over the car noise.

I do the same with the portable that I bought years ago for the same reason.

I ended up being able to borrow a portable intercom this past weekend, which worked very well.

Back