Tely ACE headset review?

Beni

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Beni
Has anyone used a Tely ACE headset? Looking for a cheaper way to get ANR than Bose or Lightspeed.
Can't post a link as just made an account to post this!
Any thoughts much appreciated.

I see they are listed as the same price as the Lightspeed Zulu 3 ANR Headset. I know which way I'd go ...

Hey Tely, if you’re reading this, I fly 12+ hours a week on a demanding set of photo mission runs and I’d be happy to use and review your headset if you want…

DM me for info on where to send it.

Are DC headsets no longer the best in class?
They haven't been "best in class" for a long time (Bose and Lightspeed generally hold the top spots for features/comfort/clarity) . They are, however, extremely durable and have great customer service. They have stood the test of time.

The TELY with the piano wire type slider, reminds me of a very expensive gaming headset I had once. It lasted a couple years at my desk, wouldn't have lasted a month on the line, packing and unpacking every airplane change and every working day.

Not for the last 20 years. Not even for passive headsets.
As a relative newbie, what makes Bose and Lightspeed better than DC? Two reasons I ask:

1) I have a set of ANR DCs (DC-One), and they seem fine to me. What am I missing?
2) My experience with Bose products in other audio and performing sound situations has been anything but good. In particular, their audio quality has never been good - their approach of masking hardware non-linearity with processing rarely gives good results.

Last edited:
Looking for a cheaper way to get ANR than Bose or Lightspeed.

Look at Gulf Coast Avionics. I have been using their ANR headset for about 6 years. Works fine. Not quite as comfortable as the more expensive ones but good enough.

As a relative newbie, what makes Bose and Lightspeed better than DC? Two reasons I ask:

1) I have a set of ANR DCs (DC-One), and they seem fine to me. What am I missing?
2) My experience with Bose products in other audio and performing sound situations has been anything but good. In particular, their audio quality has never been good - their approach of masking hardware non-linearity with processing rarely gives good results.
#1 is weight. The DCs are typically fairly heavy.
#2 is comfort. While it varies from person to person, the stock padding on the Bose/Lightspeed headsets is usually a bit more comfortable. You have to get the gel seals upgrade on most DCs for get the softer material.
#3 innovation. Bose and LS are always at the forefront of adding features like Bluetooth, anr customization, and app integration. DC plays it safe by letting others do the R&D and they'll follow up a year or two later.

Not a thing wrong with DCs, they just don't lead the pack for most people.

Bose is very mediocre in car and Home Audio. More of an advertising company that happens to sell speakers. They do make good ANR headphones though.

Back