Tell me what this does.

Well, the page says
This slim Compact Flash GPS Receiver turns your PDA or handheld PC into a GPS system with third-generation SiRF III technology! It tracks up to 20 satellites at a time and re-acquires satellite signals in 100ms.
With appropriate software (not included, BTW), you could feed the GPS location information to a moving map application to provide turn-by-turn information when on the ground, or see your position if in the air. The key phrase there is appropriate software. I don't know enough about these units to tell whether this uses a standard API to interface with off-the-shelf software.

yea i didnt look at the link, but PDA based GPS applications are really popular in soaring due to the compact size. Plus they can run programs that calculate optimal speed to fly to a turnpoint, figure the winds aloft, mark areas of known lift, etc. Very fancypantsy. I got Matts hand me down (thanks!) Palme handspring with a basic SoarPilot program on it. Still need to try it out. Lots of stuff to do this spring.

Back